Pacific NW vacation questions

buckeyegirl

Cathlete
Good morning!

I am doing some research regarding our July trip to WA next summer. We plan on flying into Seattle and doing a big circle tour including four days in Olympic NP, driving down the coast into a big of OR (Cannon Beach area), back up to Columbia River Gorge, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier and then back to Seattle. This will be done in 10 days. If anyone has any "pearls of wisdom" to impart, any "must sees" or places to stay on our route, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My sister and I are actually planning a -tentative - roadtrip through the Pacific NW for next month! We're starting in Davis, CA where I live, and make it all the way through Vancouver. I wouldn't mind some recommendations either. ;) Hopefully I'll have advice to give after my trip, if we take it!

Hi,

You will not be disappointed in a Seattle area vacation. I lived on Bainbridge Island, just across the sound from Seattle, for almost a year. I loved it.

Seattle is an amazing city - and Pikes Market Area could take up an entire day. The vendors are so unique, the produce, the flowers, Asian items, artisan crafts, and of course COFFEE.

Up and down the streets and alley ways by the market/waterfront are really interesting little shops and food merchants - like spices, cheeses, bakery, fruits and salads, Asian foods and did I mention COFFEE.:D There is also a great aquarium at the waterfront.

Be sure and try to find time to take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island - the downtown area is just a short walk from the ferry and again shops, beautiful gardens, great architecture, restaurants and COFFEE. (Bainbridge Bakery and Cafe Nola). There also are a couple of wineries on the island. If you can catch an evening ferry back to the city the scenery is spectacular.

Fours days is a lot of time to allocate to the Olympic NP unless you are going to camp and do some serious hiking. Again, the scenery is phenomenal, but after a day or two it will all start to look the same.

If you are flying into Seattle you could ferry your car to Bainbridge, stay there for the night, then drive west to Sequim, lavender capital of the world, then to Port Angeles, take the ferry to Vancouver Island, tour Victoria, ferry back and then drive to the NP. Route 101 takes you around/through the park and into Oregon.

What ever you decide to do, the area is wonderful and the scenery is breath-taking. It is probably the most beautiful area I have ever visted.

Have a great trip.

Debbie Russo

PS - Daylight Savings Time is in effect so the sun will set some time after 8pm and rise just after 6 am so you will have a nice long day.

I used to live in Bellingham, appx 90 minutes north of Seattle. I went to Western Washington University which has a gorgeous campus and an arboretum that borders it and makes for a nice walk. The bay is beautiful and the Fairhaven area is very quaint. It has sentimental value for me, but I don't know that I'd go out of my way for it if you're not going to be in that general area anyway. I mean, it's beautiful, but so is pretty much all the Pacific Northwest.

Cannon beach area is great and the drive along the oregon coast is awesome in some spots.( I was dissapointed with WA coast drive cannot see anything very different than Oregon) If you have time look up the long beach peninsula in WA fun little area. They have a drivable beach, forts to explore, 2 lighthouses , osterville, and a variety of festivals/ events depending on when you show up.( might picture is northhead lighthouse there).

Last edited:
My sister and I are actually planning a -tentative - roadtrip through the Pacific NW for next month! We're starting in Davis, CA where I live, and make it all the way through Vancouver. I wouldn't mind some recommendations either. ;) Hopefully I'll have advice to give after my trip, if we take it!

OMG!!! I live just east of Folsom!!! If you decide to take the ferry over to Victoria Island be sure to see the butterfly gardens. You actually get to go inside with them. Its beautiful.:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.