Skin care in your 40's

Okay, I'm going to be an enabler! :) I just found a great deal on the Travel Size Clarisonic at www.skincarerx.com ...use DISCOUNT 20 to get 20% off the $149.00 set! Here is the breakdown. I ordered the Garnet Red colored one! :eek:

Ind. CostTotal CostClarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System -
Garnet Red1 $149.00
$149.00Subtotal
$149.00Promo Code "DISCOUNT20"-$29.80
$0.00USPS Priority Mail
Grand Total$119.00

FREE SHIPPING TOO!

Last edited:
Oooh, I'm gonna check that out - thanks! My esthetician recommended one too, and I've just been waiting for the right time...maybe now is that time.

Off topic..Debbie, is that a Welsh Terrier in your profile pic?

I am 42, and use Retinol and Hydroquinone skin care that I get from a doctor/aesthetician (the Obagi line) and yes, they are very expensive. At least this line is. I got such great results for hyperpigmentation (I had a fairly dark mask developing over my cheekbones and down along and under my nose and on my chin.) It took ALL the discoloration out and left me with baby soft skin that I get LOTS of compliments on. I don't think I would have ever gone with anything this expensive if it hadn't been for the noticeable discoloration. Each product (set of 9 items) runs from $25 to $135. I think it was a little over $500 to get started, and I needed more product after just 1.5 months, then once I got on a mainenance phase, I only buy about 2/3 of the items and only a few items every 4 months or so.

From what you describe about your skin, you don't need this!

Last edited:
I ordered the garnet - can't wait to try it out.

So, my question is this - do you have to use their special cleansers with this or can I use a basic cleanser. I know you are not supposed to use anything with abrasives. I do have an Image facial cleaser that is very mild. Do you think I could use that?

Thanks!

I also recently purchased the Clarisonic and absolutely love it. My skin has never looked this good and I am 56. The skin care products I am using now are from Bare Minerals. I love them because they're natural with no preservatives. Hope this helped you.

Sharon

Sharon -
Use whatever cleanser you like with the Clarisonic unit. I've actually read pretty bad reviews about their brand cleansers. I love, love Origins Checks and Balances and it works beautifully with the Clarisonic. One tube lasts several months. I then follow up with their serums and moisturizers, morning and night. I get facials about once or twice a year.

Buckeygirl...COPYCAT! LOL! I cant wait to get my GARNET-colored one! Darcy is sooo cute! Awwww!

Sharon, that is so good to know. I kept thinking I'm older then these gals and wondering if it would improve my skin too. (I'm 58) I am hoping to see a change in my face and neck...looking so much older these days.

NY25, I just called and mine is shipping today! Yah! I asked the gal on the phone if you could use other products to cleanse with and she said yes, but the cleanser that comes with it is very good. (I'm glad I get a sample with the Clarisonic just to try.) Thanks for your recommendation. I'll write that down to try after I try their brand. (Of course they are going to endorse theirs.) The gal also said she bought the unit too and loves it! I hope it gets here quickly!

I ordered the garnet - can't wait to try it out.

So, my question is this - do you have to use their special cleansers with this or can I use a basic cleanser. I know you are not supposed to use anything with abrasives. I do have an Image facial cleaser that is very mild. Do you think I could use that?

Thanks!

Hi Buckeyegirl,

I also use the cleanser by image (ormedic balancing cleanser)? I love, love, the cleanser its so gentle and it smells sooo good!!! I started using it about two years ago, when my skin started to break out for some odd reason, my skin has had no breakouts since I started using it. But like I mention I was wondering if I should start using a different cleanser with different ingredients now that I'm older. Do you use any other products by image?

LuLu,

I also used the Image Balanced Cleanser - I think the only other product I use with Image is their daily moisturizer (has the green label) I love it - it also smells really good. My esthetician gave me some samples of their facial sunscreen, and I really also like that. Expensive stuff, but my teenager swears by the acne line they carry.

so easily enabled... :)

Since I just bought the GHD flat iron, I couldn't justify laying out for the Clarisonic, too...BUT I *did* order the Olay Pro X Advanced Cleansing System, which is I guess the poor man's version. :) It received mostly rave reviews on Amazon, and there is currently a $5 coupon for it. So it cost $23.54 with free shipping.

The top-listed review on Amazon compares the Pro X to the Clarisonic, for anyone who may be interested in checking it out. Based on what I've read, if you only need to use it on your face and not your body, the Pro-X might be a good choice for you. It does run on AA batteries and has a smaller motor, so it is not quite as powerful as the Clarisonic.

Since I just bought the GHD flat iron, I couldn't justify laying out for the Clarisonic, too...BUT I *did* order the Olay Pro X Advanced Cleansing System, which is I guess the poor man's version. :) It received mostly rave reviews on Amazon, and there is currently a $5 coupon for it. So it cost $23.54 with free shipping.

The top-listed review on Amazon compares the Pro X to the Clarisonic, for anyone who may be interested in checking it out. Based on what I've read, if you only need to use it on your face and not your body, the Pro-X might be a good choice for you. It does run on AA batteries and has a smaller motor, so it is not quite as powerful as the Clarisonic.

Let me know how it works for you once you try it!! I would love to purchase the clarasonic but its a little on the expensive side for me, maybe for my 43rd birthday in a couple of weeks, or mothers day!!

Let me know how it works for you once you try it!! I would love to purchase the clarasonic but its a little on the expensive side for me, maybe for my 43rd birthday in a couple of weeks, or mothers day!!

Will do! Although I think you found the perfect gift right there! :)

Have any of you already gone through menopause? Has using any of these products improved the tone and appearance of your skin? I had a total hysterectomy in '08 at 42, so it has definitely sped up the aging process. I do take HRT.

Just wondering - thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.