Need help with hemming workout pants!

jldx2in2000

Cathlete
I am very short (under 5') and always have problems with pants being too long. Normally I get my work pants tailored but I don't want to pay to have my workout pants tailored especially since they are cheapy workout pants from Wal-Mart. I do not sew. I might be able to see if my mom can do them but she has problems with slippery material and my workout pants are made out of spandex.

Has anyone tried using fabric glue or a hemming tape on spandex? Does it work and hold up well to frequent washing? Any recommended brands?

Any other advice for hemming my pants is appreciated!

Thanks!

I have used fabric glue and it works but why not just cut them? Why even bother hemming them especially if they are just cheap pants from Walmart. Plus I like the "deconstructed" look!

This will just further show my lack of knowledge on the sewing subject but will cutting them without hemming cause them to fray and unravel? Maybe that doesn't happen with spandex.:confused:

Thanks!

I'm a fellow shorty, and I have gotten to where I just buy capri workout pants. No hemming needed! :) I love Wal-mart Capezio capris. They are great. I wouldn't begin to know how to hem spandex. Seems like it would gather. My mom still hems all of my and my boys' clothes. :eek: My 7th grade home ec teacher would be mortified.

I'm a fellow shorty, and I have gotten to where I just buy capri workout pants. No hemming needed! :) I love Wal-mart Capezio capris. They are great. I wouldn't begin to know how to hem spandex. Seems like it would gather. My mom still hems all of my and my boys' clothes. :eek: My 7th grade home ec teacher would be mortified.

I actually have several capris from Wal-mart but bought some long pants for the workouts that use Firewalker bands (I have sensitive legs).

I am glad I am not the only one that can't hem my own pants. I actually can't sew at all. When I told a woman I carpool with this, she looked at me like I was an alien and asked how I could have gotten through home ec without sewing. I told her that home ec wasn't required in my school because I didn't take it.

This will just further show my lack of knowledge on the sewing subject but will cutting them without hemming cause them to fray and unravel? Maybe that doesn't happen with spandex.:confused:

Thanks!

Hello! They might fray, . .depending on the type of knit and fabric. It really is quite easy to do even by hand. If you have a sewing maching, pin to your desired length then take a zig zag stitch all around. I also mostly wear capri length. Athleta has some great short petite workout pant that fit me perfect. Lucy.com does too. No hemming required. Funny, . I graduated in clothing design and now am a stay at home mom that has not used my degree at all but the one thing I'm greatful for is that I can hem and alter my own clothes. I guess spending 6 years in college was worth something. :eek: Also be careful when you iron. Depending on the type of fabric it could melt.

Ps. being short does have its advantages, . . . I can shop in the kids section and get my t-shirt for cheap!

I LOVE the heat-n-bond hem tape!! I've used it on everything from workout pants, jeans and scrub pants and I've never had a problem with it, even after 40 times in the washer/dryer. This stuff holds up and is quick and easy! :D

Hello! They might fray, . .depending on the type of knit and fabric. It really is quite easy to do even by hand. If you have a sewing maching, pin to your desired length then take a zig zag stitch all around. I also mostly wear capri length. Athleta has some great short petite workout pant that fit me perfect. Lucy.com does too. No hemming required. Funny, . I graduated in clothing design and now am a stay at home mom that has not used my degree at all but the one thing I'm greatful for is that I can hem and alter my own clothes. I guess spending 6 years in college was worth something. :eek: Also be careful when you iron. Depending on the type of fabric it could melt.

Ps. being short does have its advantages, . . . I can shop in the kids section and get my t-shirt for cheap!

Thanks for the tips on sites. I did find a pair of short full-length workout pants at Target by Champion. I really like them.

I really have no sewing skills at all. I tried hemming curtains for my house once while my mom watched me (on her sewing machine). After about 30 minutes of getting the thread tangled and having to start over, she finally told me she would just do it for me. :eek:

I LOVE the heat-n-bond hem tape!! I've used it on everything from workout pants, jeans and scrub pants and I've never had a problem with it, even after 40 times in the washer/dryer. This stuff holds up and is quick and easy! :D

I'll try that. Someone else at work has used that but only for jeans and dressy pants. She didn't know how it would work for spandex type material.

Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.