shakeology

kariev

Cathlete
So I just got my free sample of chocolate shakeology by beach body. I really like the taste and could see using it as my mid afternoon snack. However the price is outrageous. Do any of you use this product and if you do, do you find it worth the price?

I love the chocolate too. I caved and ordered a month's supply which will last me 2 months. I find a half of scoop is all I can take, a full scoop is too rich for me.
For me it's worth the money because it helps curve my appetite. For some reason, I have no appetite for several hours (4-5). Anyway, I'm super picky about chocolate and this is the first chocolate shake that doesn't taste odd to me, and the appetite suppressant is a bonus for me. :)

The price is a bit crazy, but I have to say that I love the stuff - it took me many months to finally bite the bullet to give it a try. As a coach, I do get it 25% off which takes a pretty big bite out of the cost, however. If you go the HD route, you'll get free shipping, which helps a bit too. I use it everyday for breakfast - I love that it's convenient, tastes great, and keeps me full for HOURS. I've been using the greenberry flavor which I really like and recently tried the chocolate - holy crap, is that good!!!!! As soon as I finish my current g-berry bag, I'm switching to choco. :)

ETA: I started right at the first of the year and dropped 4lbs that had snuck around during the holidays / lower training volume time with NO effort other than using this for breakfast every day. Gotta love that.

mspina,

If you don't mind my asking what did you eat for breakfast prior to taking the shakes?

Thanks

whats in this stuff that suppresses appetite so much? normally if i have a regular protein shake with the same amount of cals as shakeology i'm starving an hour later.

whats in this stuff that suppresses appetite so much? normally if i have a regular protein shake with the same amount of cals as shakeology i'm starving an hour later.

Me too! I find that I have to actually CHEW in order to feel satisfied too though.

Last edited:

That's a good question! I'm the same way when I drink a protein shake. I have no idea why the Shakeology suppresses my appetite. I'm guessing it's the flax and all the greens in it.:confused:
Someone on the YaYa board said the Greenberry doesn't suppress the appetite like the chocolate flavor does.
I tried Greenberry, and all I can say is YUCK! One swig of that shake suppressed my appetite because it was really bad. It was so grassy tasting.. blech!:eek:

Well, not Shakeology, but I just wanted to say that about a month ago I made a promise to myself to try green smoothies for 3 weeks. Long story short I LOVE THEM! I also use them for my mid-afternoon "snack" and they are VERY filling with minimal calories. Plus they give me more veggies in my diet. I already eat very clean, and I get lots of protein from other sources, so my goal was really a healthy carb, filling, energy boosting pick-me-up. Mine are cheap, delish, and have helped me drop a few pounds too. Here's a nice link to smoothie info: www.smoothie-handbook.com/index.html
but even these use too much fruit for me.

My own concoction is
1 cup almond milk
1/2 tblsp flax seed
1 tblsp chia seed
3-4 slices of cucumber
blueberries
blackberries (or other berries - I opt for berries because they are lower on the glycemic index, though on a higher carb day I'll use a mango e.g.)

then, 2-3 kinds of greens. My faves so far are spinach, kale, dandelion greens, turnip greens, and swiss chard. I mix up my green ingreds every day. The almond milk and fruit add some sweetness, and the chia seed is filling.

Good luck with Shakeology.

mspina,

If you don't mind my asking what did you eat for breakfast prior to taking the shakes?

Thanks

I'd either have a small bowl of oatmeal at home (steel cut) with dried fruit and nuts, or when in a time crunch, either the feta/spinach/egg wrap at Sbux or their low fat turkey bacon egg sandwhich thing.

I think the biggest difference was while the caloric content was similar, I'd get hungry by 10:00am and need an additional snack - that rarely happens any longer.

I don't think it's that it actually suppresses your appetite - it's that it's so nutrient packed, you aren't hungry because you don't need to eat anything yet from a nutrition standpoint. If you eat crap, you have to eat a LOT of it to get the nutrients your body needs. Conversely, if you constantly eat nutritionally dense food, you need to eat much less, calorie-wise.

In the extreme, you could eat an entire bag of jellybeans, but an hour later, you'd be starving (ok, perhaps a bad example as you'd have a wicked tummy ache and probably wouldn't want to eat anything for a while, but stick with me here). You didn't eat any real nutrients though, so your body is still "hungry" - not for calories, but for nutrition. With Shakeology (or your own homemade version of it), you are getting a whopping dose of nutrition, in a fairly low-cal package.

It is good stuff...even though pricey. I feel an almost instant energy boost after drinking it that lasts 3-4 hours it seems. I "like" the idea that it is good for you and seems to be the best out there after reading all I could about it. I also don't feel hungry for some time after drinking it.

Does anyone know of something better or the same that is cheaper?

Does anyone have allergies (pollen/ragweed) that use the Shakeology? I was just wondering if a person needed to worry about the different grasses in it?

Anybody with IBS that take it?

I like all the stuff I'm hearing about Shakeology but the price is a huge turnoff. No matter how I slice and dice it, I just can't justify the cost for a meal replacement drink. I can buy Turbo Fire for the price of a one-month supply of Shakeology.

I have been drinking Amazing Meal Chocolate Infusion for several months now and it's quickly become a necessity. I've also gone through several containers of their chocolate flavor GreenSuperfood, which is the only supplement / meal replacement I'll be taking with me on the road this summer. If you look at the nutritional info, it's a similar concept to Shakeology but way cheaper. I buy them from Amazon for roughly $25 per container.

http://www.amazinggrass.com/nutritional-breakdown-amazing-meal-chocolate.html
http://www.amazinggrass.com/nutritional-breakdown-green-superfood.html

Does anyone have allergies (pollen/ragweed) that use the Shakeology? I was just wondering if a person needed to worry about the different grasses in it?

Anybody with IBS that take it?

I don't have IBS, but I am allergic to pollen. I haven't had any problems. I have read several posts on the BB forum from people who have had problems with painful gas and bloat. I started out with 1/2 scoop to see if I would have any digestive issues.
I absolutely love the chocolate flavor, so the price is worth it to me. I've spent that much on a good bottle of wine. ;)

Has anyone acutally done a comparison between Shakeology and others? Of course, BB really pitches it as "one of a kind."

As far as the price goes if you are a coach and get the discount you are talking about less than $4 per drink. Cheaper than many Starbucks drinks or even many smoothies at Smoothie King or the like.

I agree though that it is a little sticker shock when you first hear what it costs but if you compare it other things you may buy each day it really is not much.

Okay I'm trying not to buy this! I have been thinking about this shake for some time.

What is reeeaally the difference between eating this for breakfast and some oatmeal protien powder berries flax andand nuts?

Has anyone acutally done a comparison between Shakeology and others? Of course, BB really pitches it as "one of a kind."

All I have to go on are the several tubs of protein powders that I won't use/will eventually throw out because I can't stand the taste.

As far as the price goes if you are a coach and get the discount you are talking about less than $4 per drink. Cheaper than many Starbucks drinks or even many smoothies at Smoothie King or the like.

I considered signing up as a coach for the discount, but after the $15 a month coach fee, I wouldn't be saving that much. I have no desire to sell BB products.

You are right about the $14.95/mo to be a BB coach. So you spend $14.95 to save $30 which makes your net savings $15.05 on the Shake. There is also a $39.95 sign up fee to get your kit though so you would have to consider that.

But take $15.05 off the $119.95 gives you $104.90 for 30 days. That comes to $3.50 per drink. If you have it for lunch you save money over buying something to eat. I have tried a lot of protein drinks/energy drinks and this one does taste very good. I was told by someone that BB is selling $500,000 of Shakeology a week. I am sure to all their coaches mostly.

But I really don't know if it is the best out there as there are so many now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.