Kettlebell form--analysis paralysis

sue320

Cathlete
I learned my kb form from AOS/Anthony DiLuglio. I've been to a class with an RKC instructor and so far so good (not saying much because I only did the swing for the whole class).

I bought a book of workouts by an RKC instructor and this is where I got stuck...sort of. The workout that I was to do today had the swing high pull in it. The way AOS teaches it is to swing into a high elbow strike over the head (fist at the top of head). Pavel teaches it as an elbow strike that comes at ear height (if that makes sense).

Dh says he thinks the AOS way might put more stress on the shoulder (of which I DO NOT need).

Should I care about the difference and if so, should I get a Pavel dvd (if there are any) and learn that way or set up a personal training session ($50/hr) with my local RKC instructor?

Input please...thanks!

Just FYI Anthony learned from Pavel. Maybe do a search on AOS' minute of strengths to see if there is a break down and an explanation for the way Anthony does them.

Awe blast. Now I'm paranoid I'm doing it wrong. I bought the AOS Fire Fighter workout and some of those moves, . . with me being as clutzy as I am are me cruisin for a bruisin.

Wow...this is a thinker!!

Pavel and Anthony are both masters in their field. If Pavel's technique is more comfortable for you, I'd do that.

Actually, when I think about it, that elbow position seems more sound to me as well.

I bought a book of workouts by an RKC instructor and this is where I got stuck...sort of. The workout that I was to do today had the swing high pull in it. The way AOS teaches it is to swing into a high elbow strike over the head (fist at the top of head). Pavel teaches it as an elbow strike that comes at ear height (if that makes sense).

Isn't the fist at top of head and elbow at ear level almost the same thing though? If anything, they are only off by a couple of inches.

I have AOS Clinic and Providence and self-taught my form using these dvds. I do tend to keep my elbow strike slightly lower than Anthony does though. I occasionally wonder if I should be pulling higher or not but I stick to what is comfortable and protects my sketchy left shoulder (I dislocated it years ago climbing). Now, instead of just thinking I'm not trying hard enough, I'll tell myself I'm using Pavel's method :D

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.