Bellydancing!

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I have a belly, so this should be easy, right? Notsomuch!!!! I got a few bellydance DVDs 3 or 4 weeks ago, and have made Sun my bellydancing day. It is my off-day easy cardio. No impact for sure, but its not as easy at it looks. I can really feel it in my abs, and my arms to with all the arm movements. I can do the slow version, but my parts don't shake like the lady on the TV. I don't move like that. Its a totally different movement than "regular" cardio and totally different muscle strength than weigh lifting. Trying to retrain my body and mind to smooth things out and flow. I am enjoying it so far, but I'm sure I look the proverbial frog in a blender. I have found if I let my thoughts wander to, er, bed time activities :p:eek: it is easier. If I think too hard about it, it becomes dang near impossible. I think I will stick with this for a while. Normally, slower, non high activity workouts bore me, but I like this.

Nan

your post is too cute!! What dvd's are you using? I've often thought of trying bellydancing because I have read it is suppose to be good for your abs but I have no idea where to start. It will absolutely be a work out I do alone! I think your frog in a blender visual would be very accurate for me as well!

another bellydancer hoping to be here LOL. i have been adding in 2-3 days. i have quite a few rania videos. i know some don't care for her but she is more traditional in her style of bellydancing(including egyptian and turkish carberat) but i also have taken a high liking to gothic and tribal dance. i only have 3 one with sashi(ascend tribal dance),rachel brice(yoga and drills tribal fusion dance) and one called fluid tribal dance which i have tried yet but by a talented and exotics fayzah. it is not easy!!! rachel's was hard but doable but sashi i couldn't finish the whole thing. but its more of a progress dvd. it starts with basic moves then blends into more advanced movements into combos.

i found a lot of titles here http://www.worlddancenewyork.com/ but they are also available at amazon. plus this site has clips for all styles! right now beside's rania, i am working with drill like dvds to practice the movements. rania's has more choreography but even she breaks it down but doesn't get to much into technique like the drills do. i have at least 15 more bellydance videos on my wishlist!!!

kassia

your post is too cute!! What dvd's are you using? I've often thought of trying bellydancing because I have read it is suppose to be good for your abs but I have no idea where to start. It will absolutely be a work out I do alone! I think your frog in a blender visual would be very accurate for me as well!

Amazon had a 3 DVD set of The Goddess Workouts by Dolphina. One is more just learning the moves, the 2nd is still learning w/ a bit more actual dancing, and the 3rd is advanced - haven't popped that one in yet, so not sure what that entails. They each also have a chapter w/ her dancing w/out instructing, so you can see a full dance - those are pretty neat to watch - I wish I could do that.

Nan

Try Sadie and also Jenna. Both of them are a class above the others.

Sadie's Complete Bellydancing Guide and Thrilling Drilling Sadie
Basic and Beyond with Jenna
The Heartbeat of Bellydance with Jenna and Raquy

I have many bellydance dvds and these are some of the better ones with good teaching on techniques.

Try Sadie and also Jenna. Both of them are a class above the others.

Sadie's Complete Bellydancing Guide and Thrilling Drilling Sadie
Basic and Beyond with Jenna
The Heartbeat of Bellydance with Jenna and Raquy

I have many bellydance dvds and these are some of the better ones with good teaching on techniques.

oh god have you see sadie's performances on youtube. simply awesome, inspiration to keep practicing. i don't know jenna but there is also jillina's. collagevideo has clips of them. i haven't tried the twins neena and veena but some ppl say they are pretty good beginners workouts.

kassia

oh god have you see sadie's performances on youtube. simply awesome, inspiration to keep practicing. i don't know jenna but there is also jillina's. collagevideo has clips of them. i haven't tried the twins neena and veena but some ppl say they are pretty good beginners workouts.

kassia

Trust me, once you have tried learning from Jenna and Sadie, you won't really want Rania or the twins. I got Rania and the twins when I first started and thought they were good but when I got Sadie and Jenna, the rest are collecting dust in my cupboard. There is another, Pop, Lock and shimmies with Sadie and Kaya is pretty good too and the performance at the end is so good. I think you can google on youtube for that performance.

i have seen sadie's pop and lock dvd on amazon(comes recommendation from one of the other tribals i bought) so i will def. have to look with her more then. i want to mix it up although i love the look of gothic and tribal but i do want to keep the traditional stuff there as well.

have to rearrange the the wish list LOL.

kassia

Hey, I got a belly as well so I'll raise a toast to that :) ITA, not as easy as it looks. Takes so much skill, strength and concentration - deceptively difficult. (I'm reminded a little of folks who think ballet is for sissies, when actually it's such a display of pure grace AND great strength) Would definitely love to try my hand (stomach) at belly dancing one day.

P.S. The frog-in-blender image nearly made me wet myself...

I have a belly, so this should be easy, right? Notsomuch!!!! I got a few bellydance DVDs 3 or 4 weeks ago, and have made Sun my bellydancing day. It is my off-day easy cardio. No impact for sure, but its not as easy at it looks. I can really feel it in my abs, and my arms to with all the arm movements. I can do the slow version, but my parts don't shake like the lady on the TV. I don't move like that. Its a totally different movement than "regular" cardio and totally different muscle strength than weigh lifting. Trying to retrain my body and mind to smooth things out and flow. I am enjoying it so far, but I'm sure I look the proverbial frog in a blender. I have found if I let my thoughts wander to, er, bed time activities :p:eek: it is easier. If I think too hard about it, it becomes dang near impossible. I think I will stick with this for a while. Normally, slower, non high activity workouts bore me, but I like this.

Nan

Trust me, once you have tried learning from Jenna and Sadie, you won't really want Rania or the twins. I got Rania and the twins when I first started and thought they were good but when I got Sadie and Jenna, the rest are collecting dust in my cupboard. There is another, Pop, Lock and shimmies with Sadie and Kaya is pretty good too and the performance at the end is so good. I think you can google on youtube for that performance.

i have googled the vids as well as world dance new york had clips of jenna's dvds. yes def. more of interest. just a tad put off by sadie and kaya's dvds costing $40 on amazon. will keep searching for a good deal, the clips were really awesome to not at least try to find something. until then i might order some jenna's the next time i can buy dvds. thanks for the input on these.

kassia

i have googled the vids as well as world dance new york had clips of jenna's dvds. yes def. more of interest. just a tad put off by sadie and kaya's dvds costing $40 on amazon. will keep searching for a good deal, the clips were really awesome to not at least try to find something. until then i might order some jenna's the next time i can buy dvds. thanks for the input on these.

kassia

If you really want to get Sadie's, get her Sadie's Complete Bellydancing Guide. It is affordable and is good. I have it. I feel it is better quality than Sadie and Kaya's. http://www.amazon.com/Sadies-Complete-Bellydance-Guide-Sadie/dp/B001PBK6K2.

Shelly

If you really want to get Sadie's, get her Sadie's Complete Bellydancing Guide. It is affordable and is good. I have it. I feel it is better quality than Sadie and Kaya's. http://www.amazon.com/Sadies-Complete-Bellydance-Guide-Sadie/dp/B001PBK6K2.

Shelly

yep had already put those on the list since i did find youtube clips to get an idea of them. and they are budget friendly for right now. trying to build up a mix of videos but the list is growing quicker then the paychecks LOL

thanks
kassia

Fit TV - Shimmy

I have tried the program on Fit TV called Shimmy. I like they go step by step but I dont even come close to danciing the way they do. How does that technique compare with the Jenna videos that were recommended here? Anyone know?

carmen.

carmen, i like that show but they don't breakdown technique nearly even close to what has already been mention(aside from rania she seems to be more along the shimmy format). to really break down the muscle control i like these drill dvds for bellydance and its really step by step.

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.