Graves' Disease (hyperthyroidism) ??

workout junkie

Cathlete
I know this may not be the best forum to post this, but I was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with this disease. My husband was recently diagnosed with it. We've done quite a bit of research on the internet, but I was hoping maybe someone here can provide me with any information.

Thanks,
Melissa

I don't know very much, but just want to mention that it is interesting to see how many people seem to have Grave's disease these days. I think it came to public attention when Barbara Bush was the first lady. Since then, I have noticed that a lot of people seem to have it. I'm sure a few people here will post with their experiences.

-Nancy

>I don't know very much, but just want to mention that it is
>interesting to see how many people seem to have Grave's
>disease these days. I think it came to public attention when
>Barbara Bush was the first lady.

Did she have "hyperthyroidism"? Looks more like "hypOthyroidism"? I do remember her pearl necklaces, that were used to somewhat disguise her throat.

Kathryn-
Barbara Bush had hyperthyrodism.

Hypothyroidism is far more common and less serious. I doubt this is true, but it almost seems that most women these days have hypothyroidism.

-Nancy

I have hypo, my sister has hyper. Oddly enough the symptons (fatigue, weight gain, swollen thyroid gland, etc) and the treatment (synthroid) are the same.

I'm a bit skeptical of both myself. I did lose 20 lbs when I went on the meds, but it was about the same time I'd started working out. I've never gone off the meds b/c I'm afraid of gaining weight, but I really never felt any different before or after I started taking them.

My sister on the other hand uses it as an excuse for just about everything (or should I say whenever she wants to get out of something LOL).

In any case, I'm still not sure if it's just a way for drs. & drug companies to make more money, or if it's legit.

Laura-
They're also both usually caused by autoimmune diseases.

I think you may be wrong about the treatment with synthroid for both. I think that the hyperthyroidism is often treated with radiation or something to destroy the thyroid, then the person becomes hypo and has to take synthroid. I don't think that someone whose thyroid is producing too much thyroid hormone (hypo) would ever be placed on synthroid. Did your sister have radiation or some other kind of treatment?

Editing to say that the symptoms are not the same either. Symptoms for hyper are:
* Accelerated heart rate or palpitations
* Muscle weakness and trembling
* Unexplained weight loss
* Sensitivity to heat
* Diarrhoea
* Sleeping difficulties
* Sweating
* Irritability
* Nervousness, agitation and anxiety
* Changes in menstruation, including scantier flow and increased cycle length.

The symptoms for hypo are exactly the opposite: feeling cold, constipation, tiredness, heavier periods, weight gain, etc.

By the way, both diseases are far more common in women than in men.

-Nancy

Well, yes and no. My sister started off w/the synthroid & she eventually had the radiation, she claims neither worked. But she's hyper--I'm hypo & I've been on synthroid for about 15 years.

The end results of the symptoms are the same. Reason being someone w/hypo has a slow metabolism so feels tired & gains weight. Someone w/hyper has an overactive metabolism, which results in them feeling tired b/c their system is working double time. Both my sister & I experienced weight gain.

My sister did not experience most of the symptoms you listed for hyper. I, on the other hand, experience most of them often, but not in a bad way--I'm pretty energetic & active, although I do tend to get anxious & lose sleep b/c of my type A personality.

Seems like everything you hear for both diseases is unclear, conflicting or confusing. This is why I'm so skeptical.

MY HUSBAND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH THE SAME THING ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO. HE HAD THE RADIATION TREATMENT. HE NOW TAKES SYNTHROID EVERY MORNING AND IS DOING FINE. HE DOES HAVE TO GO IN YEARLY FOR BLOOD TESTS TO MAKE SURE HORMONE LEVELS ARE GOOD. IT TOOK A LITTLE WHILE FOR HIS DOCTOR TO FIND THE RIGHT DOSE BUT AFTER THAT HE HAS BEEN GREAT. :)

Laura, are you sure your sister is on synthroid too? I don't mean to doubt you, but from what I could find on the internet, synthroid is for hypothyroidism. Maybe it depends on the severity of the condition? I'd prefer if my husband could take synthroid instead of the drug the doctor prescribed, which has scary side effects. If that drug doesn't work, they'll have to irradiate the thyroid, which kills it, then he'll have hypothyroidism and still have to take drugs the rest of his life. Sounds like a no win situation to me.

I'm a bit skeptical myself about all the drugs doctors prescribe, often because they treat symptoms rather than the source of the problem, but I won't go there...I'm not trying to start a debate. I just wish I could find an alternative solution for him that is less drastic, but my husband is also the type to do whatever the doctor says. He rolls his eyes at all my "healthy habits" and "natural remedies". If it were me, I'd be searching out all my options and be open to lifestyle and dietary changes, possible natural therapies etc. before killing my thyroid. But I'm a wacko.

Anyway, thanks for responding and for any more info you can give.

Melissa

Hi Laura (again),

Disregard my previous post. I had started that response awhile ago, then got sidetracked at work and finished it before I saw you posted again. Now I understand why your sister is on synthroid. But it seems to me that since she had the radiation, she would now be considered to have hypothyroidism? I don't know. I'm confused.

I'm just scared about drugs and the long-term effects. My husband has heart problems too so I'm just really concerned about his health. Thank goodness the doctor has convinced him he needs to stop smoking now. I've been trying for almost 9 years...

Anyhow, thanks again!

Thanks for sharing your experience. The idea of radiation treatment freaks me out a bit, but I guess it is more common than I thought. I'm glad your husband is doing fine. Gives me hope that so will mine. Thanks!

WJ, a friend of mine has Grave's disease and had the radiation many, many years ago. She has been fine for a long time now. I guess once you receive the radiation, the thyroid no longer produces thyroid hormone and so it's like hypothyroidism in that you just take synthetic thyroid hormone to replace what you don't have. I have a slight case of hypothyroidism and have been on synthroid for over a decade now, and I'm absolutely fine.

Hope that makes you feel better?

-Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks. Sorry if I seem freaked out. It's just that my family has been through a lot lately: my mom is terminally ill, my dad had a stroke, etc...now my husband has this disease and heart problems. I'm just feeling overwhelmed. I'm always worried about everybody...

But I do feel better now. I will just trust the doctors and hope they can make my husband feel better.

Thanks again.

Melissa

my sister in law was just diagnosed as hypo. she is thin and I wouldnt have guessed her to have it. will she then losemore wt when she is put on the medicine? she doesnt need to lose anymore. she only weighs 125 at 5' 4. I thought you would be over wt to have this.

Yeah the radiation treatment freaked me out too. It just seemed weird. I am sure your husband will be fine. Take care of yourself too. I know how overwelming it all sounds but it will all be fine.;-)

Laura-
I was 5'3" 115 lbs. when my doctor discovered it. You would need to have a very severe case of hypothyroidism to notice a weight change.

I just wanted to say that I've had Grave disease and then I had my thyroid radiated. I then proceeded to go hypo, I'm now on synthroid and I go in about every six months to have my levels checked. They do seem to go up or down somewhat and often when I think I'm just fatigued from the kids and the usual stress of life, my husband reminds me to have myself checked and almost always my thyroid level is different again. I have to stay on top of it, I don't rely on my doctor to remind me. I think being hypo does make it a little tougher to keep the weight off, and I've even read that what some people consider as going low in calories to drop weight, for hypothyroid paitents we may have to go a little lower. Not exactly sure why that is, but that's what I've read. Your husband should be just fine as soon as he gets things adjusted.

Yep, positive. We've had this discussion b/c we both found it strange we were not only on the same medication, but we even had the same dose.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.