Yoga/Pilates

debharvey

Hi Educated Crowd,
Could someone please explain the difference between yoga and pilates. I have tried yoga a few times and I am not real excited about it and I was wondering if I would like pilates more.
Thanks, Debbie

Hi Debbie,
I was quite curious about this a few months ago myself. Not sure if this will help you or not but it's worth a try. Go to kathysmith.com and scroll to the bottom of the main page and look under mind & body and click on Yoga vs Pilates. I still didn't completely understand it, but maybe you will. Good luck.
Lisa

I teach both and my classes are totally different.

First of all, in yoga we hold a lot of poses "still." We will have very little movement, compared to my pilates class. The strength comes from isometric holding of poses, and there is a lot of emphasis placed on flexibility.

Pilates is closer to Body Toning. The pure Pilates mat class (the kind I teach) has a series of about 25 exercises all done in order. They concentrate on strengthening your core--the trunk of your body -- yet every body part gets worked. There is constant movement of something. We moan and groan because it's so hard. I think Pilates will help us with flexibility, but not like yoga does.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-02 AT 12:01PM (Est)[/font][p]Debbie, what didn't you like about yoga?

I'm no yogina, but it took awhile before I found yoga videos I liked. The instructors were a bit too "out there". Many of the vidoes (especially early ones) were too spiritual (hope this doesn't offend anyone).

I took to Pilates right away. It offered a surprising amount of flexibility work with awesome core (abs & lower back) work. The primary focus of Pilates is the core or "powerhouse". It's called "matwork" for a reason, the basic positions are done on the floor.

Yoga has a lot more standing positions that use the major muscles of the lower body. You work the core but it's not usually the focus.

Debra

Kim posted while I did. Oops! Same info.

Thanks to all of you for the info. I really didn't care for yoga probally because it seems so slow paced. I am used to fast aerobics and weights. I love Cathe's Slow Heavy but it does take getting used to going that slow (they say patience is a virtue they are probally right). I do like plank work and thought that pilates was more like that so I thought I would like that better but as yet have not done any pilates. If anyone has any recommendations on any good pilate videos it would be appreciated. I don't go to the gym. I have a workout room at home with plenty of videos and all of Cathe's. I live for the next set to come out every year. No one can compare to her workouts especially when it comes to weights. Thanks again for your time.
Debbie

Pilates is best done with a live instructor. I do not recommend videos until you've had the experience of having subtle form corrections made. A small form mistake can make a world of difference in Pilates, much more so than yoga.

While I agree that going to a studio for Pilates or yoga is ideal, it's not feasible for everyone. Factor in how difficult it is to filter out inexperienced instructors - yoga injuries are skyrocketing with its popularity. A single group class in my area costs as much or more than a video.

Debbie, since you like a faster tempo, I'd suggest Karen Voight's Body Reform abs & back. It's Pilates inspired & I've criticized it in the past because Voight rushes the moves. But I think Jennifer Kries (The Method, etc.), Moira Stott, or Suzanne Deason might bore you. They're all excellent Pilates instructors but might be too low key for you.

Debra

Hi Debra,
Thanks again for the input. I probally need to learn to relax, stop and smell the roses so maybe yoga or pilates might be the way to go at least one day a week. I will look into the videos and instructors you mentioned. Also want something a little new to put into my workouts. Have you tried any fitness ball or medicine ball workouts yet?
Thanks, Debbie

Yes, I have Suzanne Deason's Balance Ball workouts (a beginner & an ab video) that I got through Living Arts & I love them. One can tell she has a yoga & Pilates background. It's good ab work with a little bit of flexibility & balance work. She's low key but her cueing is terrific. I know that there are plenty of more challenging ball workouts that are more "athletic" out there.

If you get the cable network Oxygen, check out the a.m. yoga show. I think it's called "Breathe". I've only caught a few segments, but the guy plays great music (rock!). He might be more your style.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.