Yoga Instructors

baylian

Cathlete
Hi

I have taken a big interest in yoga. I have done it off and on for many years as it seemed to fit my body type and ability (former competitive gymnast and coach). Recently I had a hip issue (piriformus syndrome) and could only do yoga. Now I am really hooked and would love to teach it.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions . . .

I have looked into YogaFit and YogaWorks but always wonder if these are just a money grab type of thing. I have no idea what yoga teachers charge/paid (or fitness instructors for that matter), how many times a week on average do you teach, do you have specialized classes, etc.

I understand that their is a 200 and a 500 type of certification.

If anyone has more info that they can share that would be great.

Thanks so much,

Dawn

I trained with Doug and David Swenson, and am also certified in hotyoga...but I didn't join Yoga Alliance - I use my ACE certifation and the certificate from Doug and my hot yoga teacher (both are ryts,so why pay for YA to stamp the certificates, you know?)and I've had seminars over the years with lots of different styles, and incorporate what I can.

I've had classes with RYT 500 teachers who are the pits, and teachers who never certified in anything who were wonderful.

Although I studied purist schools of yoga, I think that if we are not open to new ideas, we don't grow, hence, though I've been doing and teaching yoga for 30 years (since I was in my teens), I embrace bringing core work into class, am interested in using the weights - haven't tried it, but it is an idea...and making every class a little different - and people like new things...so don't let anyone brow beat you into one way is superior to another, I've had that happen...

Some yoga teachers knock yogafit for being commercial (and what, Bikram is NOT? PowerYoga (i.e.ashtanga) is NOT?) but the teachers from YF I've met had EXCELLENT training - LOTS on adjustments and safety and they put together VERY good classes - I looked through some of their materials and thought it looked like a great program...

Let's face it, not many have 2 hours a day to practice, people need to get strength,a little cardio and superconscious bliss in less than an hour, and I think Beth Shaw put together a great program from what I've seen of the 3 teachers I've met who certified w/her....

Keep us posted! I love talking yoga!!!!

RYT 200 is fine to start, or AFAA with lots of yoga seminars is another way to teach a well...

I teach 2-3 times a week, hotyoga and/or vinyasa (variations of poweryoga/flow yoga..ie. whatever I put together!)75-90 minutes....I worked at clubs for 20-25/hr....then with my injuries, I stick to one private pilates/yoga studio (BodybalanceWilliamburg.com - owned by a great lady, in fact we have a great teacher training over 5 weekends this fall for vinyasa and hot yoga for RYT200 taught by some great teachers!) and we are paid 15-55/hr depending on class size...we can also teach seminars or privates and give the studio 1/4 which I think is very generous of them...
So if you're ever in Colonial Williamsburg....come visit or be a guest teacher!

Last edited:
I agree fully with icumom.

I used to be an ashtanga purist - I even travelled to India a couple of times to study with Pattabi Jois. I only practised ashtanga yoga for years. I was in great shape, however since the birth of my son I have found that I need other types of training to get the same shape as what came easily in my twenties. I also trained with David Swenson, amongst others. I have taught yoga and I used to be a bit sniffy about hybrid or more commercial types. Nowadays I agree completely with icumom, I see the new hybrid offshoots from the traditional ashtanga yoga practice as progress.
Good luck!

Thanks!

This was all very interesting and very helpful. I agree - not into the purist thing (especially as a Christian - just not my thing) but I feel yoga can be done in a way that is unique to each individual.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back