Yoga DVDS

Ronne

Cathlete
Hi

I know everyone's always asking about yoga DVDs but ...

I'm looking for something that will really stretch me out but isn't hard (if you see what I mean). I'm just starting with the new DVDs and am focusing more on weights than cardio and I feel like I really need to stretch in between workouts.

I used to do Ashtanga regularly and I don't want anything like that really. I don't want to sweat, but I do know the poses so I don't need an instructional DVD as such, I just want to have a really good, relaxing stretch.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks
Ronne

I recently purchased "Flexibility Yoga" with Patricia Walden. It has two sessions that are about 35 min. each, one focuses on backbends, and the other on forward bends. The forward bending practice is nice and light, but the backbending practice gets a little rigorous toward the end. I love them both.

If you want to try it, it is easy to find in most libraries (I believe) under a different name: Yoga Journal's Yoga Practice for Flexibility.

Total Yoga's Earth, Water, Fire series is nice, too. And there are so many yoga DVD titles out there that focus on flexibility... lots to choose from. Good luck!

It doesn't sound like it *has* to be yoga, so what about StretchMax? Some of the stretches Cathe does are yoga-inspired, but you'll get more of a variety with this one, which has three 20-minute stretch routines.

~Cathy :)

I recently purchased Eoin Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness and I love it! It has different sections where you do poses for a while, but then in his Magically Hips workout, there's a long session where you are working on stretching out the hips. I got it off Amazon for around $20 for over 270 min of different routines. He also shows a range of how to do the poses from beginner to super advanced.

I often use yoga DVD's for post workout stretching and second the recommendation for Patricia Walden's "Yoga for Flexibility." The version I have is a bonus on "Yoga Journal's Yoga for Beginners" and was originally recorded in 1992. Other DVD's I use after a Cathe workout are:

1. Sonic Yoga Turbo Flow ("Dissolve" section - don't care for the rest of it)
2. P90X Yoga X - last 1/2 hour, although the whole thing is great when you're doing power yoga
3. Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes - don't use as often as the above 3, but it's pretty versatile.

I'm pretty flexible and Stetch Max wasn't for me.

well its not yoga,but michelle lemay has been a stretch favorite for me lately. she incoporates some yoga postures as well as dance type flows to loosen things up in her "alive in your body" dvd and her "7 essential stress relievers" are so well chaptered that you can do one or two of the 2-5 min. segments for upper/lower back,hips,torso, and just breathe control. i know collagevideo.com carries the stress reliever one but i order them both from deepdiscount.com i am waiting for netflix to send her core stretch one to try out. she also does two different workouts(one dance and one stretch) on fittv all star workouts.

for yoga i do bodywisdommedia.com yoga complete for everybody. there are some challenging postures for balance but overall its a restorative type yoga but it does use props for some segments although if you are familiar enough with yoga you might not need them. but i would still use a strap or belt for some segments b/c it does help with the stretch. also a cheaper option would be caribbean workouts yoga core 2pack. each dvd has 3-20 min. yoga workouts one for yoga core which helps balance so you engage abs,a segment to strengthen and streth legs, and a power yoga routine which is mostly sun salutations. thwith stretch into yoga there are basic postures for stretch and one to stretch lower back and legs and one with all sun salutations for energy.

i hope this helps some.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

For easier days, I love Rainbeau Mars Yoga for Beauty - Dawn & Dusk series. Both are very relaxing yet push you just a bit. I always reach for them when I'm in a bad mood.

I also have been liking Yoga for Athletes with Kim Fowler. I love the way the practice makes me feel, however, I'm not real big on Kim as an instructor.

Anything by Eion Finn is supberb. I love Power Yoga for Happiness & Pure & Simple Yoga. His website is www.Vancouveryoga.com. He also has free audio downloads available on his site. Pure & Simple yoga has become a favorite lately. However, Eion is probably the toughest of the ones listed here, as he moves rather quickly, but I second the Magically Hips premix.

One other one that I makes me feel great and is not too strenuous is Altar of the Heart with Tilak Pyle. It is available on Tilak's website and www.Fitnessorganica.com used to carry it also. It is 75" but it is wonderful.

Shiva Rea is another fave of mine and I particularly like Yoga Shakti and Fluid Power by her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.