Worth the work...

J

Joanna

The other day someone at work went out of their way to compliment me on my arms. I have been such a whiner about lifting but realizing that others have noticed makes me feel great! She said my arms looked younger than she would have expected of someone my age :7 !!!

Let's hear it for the over 45 crowd....

Joanna

When I was MUCH younger you could never catch me in anything sleeveless....now at 51 I think nothing of it!

Goodby flabby triceps!

:D

Honeybunch -

I read your posts all the time and I am inspired by your enthusiasm and compassion (and your recipes ;-))...

Joanna

RE: Goodby flabby triceps!

well, gee whiz! Thanks!

I love my recipes, too.....especially the sampling part!:9

About being over 45

Can I ask a personal question? Do you use the scale as a measure of fitness accomplishment? Ever since I started lifting on a regular basis I have dreaded weighing myself. I know it is a mind thing (my clothes fit great)...its just that any pounds added feel like bad pounds.

Thanks for listening.

RE: About being over 45

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-01 AT 05:41AM (Est)[/font][p]I weigh my self about every other day. I'm programmed. For ME, that's that way I have to do it. Not everyone is the same, as far as what works for them. I REALLY have to control what I eat, I am like an alcoholic when it comes to junk food, so I use the way my clothes fit PLUS the scales to watch my status. Some people don't have to do all this. Bless them. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!!!!!:7

I take the opposite approach. I never weigh myself. I think that poundage is not the main issue. Lets face reality, if a person is honest with herself she know when she has gained weight. Weight can fluctuate from day to day and I believe that it is normal to fluctuate a few pounds up or down. The problem comes when you keep fluctuating in the same direction, too much up or down is a problem. Look how you look in the mirror. See how you feel about how your clothes fit. Be sure you are eating a proper diet, sleeping, and exercising. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat and takes up significantly less room. The scale is not the bottom line.

I'm not near 45 yet.....just sharing about weight. I weigh myself every week and write it down. This works well for me. I don't know why the last time I gained 10 pounds I went into denial about it. My clothes didn't fit...".ooohhh damn dryer shrinking my clothes again".Not an excuse anymore. I think it helps me to see better where I'm at, combined with how my clothes fit. Weight and size are just numbers unless put into an overall context. I try to think that way, anyway......

Marcia, freezing in northern Sweden

Yeah...

Have you ever heard the saying if both of us were just alike, one of us would not be necessary?!?

Anyway, thanks for the input...

Good point...

The scale is not the 'bottom's' line :D

Forgive me for being goofy...its been a long day...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back