Workout Warriors July 12-19 Rising Again!

littlefiretop

Cathlete
Good Morning Warriors!

You may now scrape yourself off the ground as the first workout of the day from the shock of seeing me here and even starting a thread....:p No search party needed, but I appreciate the thought.

I am back from my self imposed exile. My time in exile allowed for me to get myself back in a better frame of mind and body. Things are still a mess, but I am handling it better and trying to find the light at the end of the tunnel (and making sure the light is not a train ;)). Anyway, this morning I did a lowmax premix and med ball abs and tonight, barring rain, I have a tennis drill class. I am now offically taking my tennis lessons and have been demo-ing new rackets the last couple of weeks and finally decided on one that works best for me. Its amazing how much better I can hit with the right equipment that is tailored to my style of swing, I may just conquer this game someday. lol

I have to go back and read the last week to catch up in more detail...for now let me say I am glad to be back and to see each of you are holding things together despite the current challenges. Especially Ms. Janis, I am glad there are no bone issues, the rest of the body will heal in time and you will get back on track soon. :) I missed everyone while I was away and am happy to be back. :D

Alright, must go attempt to work...

:cool:

MJ!!! :D You started your thread for the week two minutes before me, so yours should be the one we use, we'll let mine fade away. ;)

Glad you are back and hitting the tennis hard with a new toy. :p Don't know about you, but I sort of label all my exercise equipment in the Cathy's toy category. :p

Here's what I wrote earlier:

Janis I'm glad your test gave you answers if not all of them. Hopefully, when you see the doctor he'll be able to help you get set up with therapy and whatever else you need. Just sounds terribly frustrating and I really feel for you right now.

I know you are right about the not warming up enough. Totally guilty here even though I know better.

I was really bummed that I had to miss Nicholas' second game. After losing the first one by 1 run, they won 14-7 and he got to pitch the last inning. Birthday party was fine for Derek, but because the birthday boy on his own invited a lot of extra people, my friend was too busy hosting to talk much. They'd been in CO for 10 days, so I hadn't see her in awhile to catch up. Derek did go swimming and make me a nervous wreck. Actually swimming would be the wrong term, wading and hanging out in the water with kids who are taller than he is, so that he was out there chin up and face barely out of the water and probably on tippy toes! I just had to keep track of his little head bobbing around.

Ok, I don't know why it is, but every time I do STS something happens to my rest weeks. I didn't do anything this weekend and I had planned to get up and do KPC today and I discover two dogs sleeping on my porch. So, I put them in the kennel and then had to keep Sparty in and entertain him so he wouldn't bark while the boys were still sleeping. After DH left, I just let them all out together with access to the kennel, yard and house and Sparty and the male boxer fell in love and spent all their time trying to fit their mouths over the others body parts. Head, neck, legs..... The female wasn't fond of Sparty, but managed to do ok. She was limping, so I think even if normally she would have played, she wasn't up to it. Anyway, I called animal control and they had a report of them, and gave me the owners number and she came and got them. They apparently escaped yesterday morning and she didn't know it until she got home late in the day. So, that's left Sparty in mourning and exhausted. Also, shows how much he would love a companion, though I'm not sure I'm up to that level of chaos on a regular basis.

Taking the boys to the fair this afternoon and planning to take pics to show the guinea pig group in hopes of finding a new home for Derek's.

Hey Everyone

Sorry I have been MIA. I had a cottage night with the girls on Sat and after DS(8) soccer tournament. He played up a level and it was so exciting that I even delayed heading off for my girls night to watch the last game. Girls night was great and we laughed so hard that I actually had to take ibuprofen before going to sleep because my head hurt so much from laughing!
Sat. I did the Heavy day of RoP and took Sunday as a rest day as I had to sleep on the floor on a thermorest... not a great nights sleep.
Today
WU: joint mobility, dislocates, around the body, pumps, sumo stretch, wall squats
WO: C&P with Pull-ups 4 x 3 (ladder up to 4 reps for 3 rounds)
7 min Snatches totalling 130!!!!
CO: 30 sec work 10 sec rest (12min)
one- legged sitting squats L/R, close-push-ups(on knees), goblet squats, hamstring roll-ins, wheel roll-outs

I was pretty much a sweaty heap when I was done. !

Cathy - That's crazy that you had strays at your house! I might not have been as nice to let them play with my dog! I lifeguarded for 7 years and kids around water make me very "watchful" you could say. I usually am on high alert around water so I can totally get how Derek's party must have been stressful.

Janis - You must be a little frustrated! Have you got any relief from staying off it? When do you go for physio. It will be very interesting to see what the problem is! I have not been for a run since the heat came and I miss it but I keep having little alarm bells going off whenever I think about it and then think of you. I know that I'll probably go sometime this week. Hope you are hanging in there and the pain is getting less!

MJ - It is great that your back in action! That's cool that your getting a new racket! Love the comment about looking for the light at the end of the tunnel and making sure it's not a train!

Tara - Hope you are still out there!

Cheers Heather

Hi Warriors!

Thanks for your support, concern and commiseration! It has been frustrating. I haven't spoken with the doctor yet, when I do I will ask him for a physio referral. I think I created a tendinitis perfect storm (iliopsoas, gluteal medias, piriformis) and in the process I may have developed a little bursitis. Staying off of it and not exercising has made a huge improvement. For awhile there I thought it was getting worse but now that I have reached the 4 week mark I am suddenly a lot, lot, lot better. Anti-inflammatories are finally making a difference too. I'll discuss my yoga and Pilates plan with the doctor and also get his thoughts on lifting weights and returning to running...should I give it three weeks, six weeks....or what?

When I am given the all clear I think I'll start back with a 3.5 month round of STS.

I promised my husband that I'll take a more moderate approach to exercise and take more rest/recovery days. :eek: The goal is to find balance.

Cathy - I ordered Stretch Max yesterday! Whoo hoo...glad I waited until it went on sale. How is your calf doing? Have you tried any more step workouts since SJP? The swimming pool scene with Derek must have been nerve racking, it sure does not make for a relaxing day! You're a good mom. :) I've seen kids swimming in water completely out of their depth but the parents were oblivious, and I've seen parents send their kids on water slide or pool field trips without telling anyone the kid doesn't know how to swim! YIKES.

Heather - Your girls night sounded like a lot of fun. I need to do that more, especially since I, too, live in the Land of Testosterone. Yeah - listen to that little voice that tells you when to challenge yourself and when to take a break! I certainly need to pay more attention to it!:p

MJ - It is lovely to hear from you! I am glad you are feeling more centered and back in the swing of things (ha! pun wasn't intended, but it made me laugh nonetheless!) Finding balance is the lesson I have to learn over and over again, not just with exercise but in every area of my life, it is a creative dance to figure out what is beneficial and what is not, and to let everything else go. Congrats on finding a tennis racket that works for you!

Tara - Now we need to hear from you!:D

I am off to watch Jill Miller's Hip Helpers dvd and gently attempt a few yoga poses.

(((hugs)))

Janis I can't believe it's been four weeks already - probably seems like years to you! I'm so glad to hear that the rest has helped though, that's certainly an encouraging sign. How soon do you see the doctor again?

Derek tends to overestimate his abilities in the water, so I have to find that fine line between smothering him with worry and biting my tongue to let him do what he thinks he can. It was actually a lake with boats passing out beyond the swimming area, which of course creates wakes. His main issue is really stamina, he can swim, tread water and float. He's just not extremely proficient in any of them. The one friend he was with tends to be overly concerned with his friends safety and was probably keeping tabs on him. He's always the one that makes me nervous anyway, though HE always seems to grasp where his true limit it. Nicholas is very conservative with what he does and often doesn't do things until he sees that Derek can.

Heather there are definitely dogs I wouldn't let with mine, but these two were obviously friendly and non-aggressive. Plus, there was a good chance they'd be around for awhile if I couldn't find the owner and dealing with Sparty desperately wanting to be with them and not letting him, was more than I wanted to deal with. He's a very social dog.

Sounds like you had lots of fun with your girls night! Did you enjoy coaching your son's team? Fun times all around. :D

I'm watching a friends kids tomorrow and it's the day our home school group goes to the park where we had Derek's birthday and there's no way he'll pass on it without making my life hell. :p So, we'll all be going there and then Nicholas has a baseball game at least 45 minutes away and my friend's meeting won't be over, so I'll have to take them with me and she'll have to drive there to get them. Going to be a crazy day - with the added fun of 90+ degree heat! Can't imagine having to play in a game wearing pants and shirts! At least it's baseball and not something where they are continuously moving, like soccer.

Hey Everyone

Today is only 72 ish but it is still super humid. My workout mat was like a puddle! Today we went to go pick blueberries! We usually do it once a year and I pick so many and freeze them. We just used the last bag so it was perfect timing! It was too full a day in the end as we went to visit a friend and the boys had a swim there and then straight to swimming lessons that were about 45 min away from my friends house and we also visited the library tonight. It was fun but a very busy day!

So this morning I tried the workout that FitMiss.TV did the other day. My time was 28.47 sec so I was pretty shocked as I beat her time! I know that I cheated little bit with the back extensions because I did them on the ball with my feet anchored and after I did 30 my back was aching so I went and did the over the chair kick and then finished the the last 30 extensions. For the prisoner squats I also didn't always have my hands behind my head either... The other crazy thing after all my concern about my flexibility I totally forgot to warm up!!!! I was half way through the burpee's and realized that I had not done a warm-up. I was very warm at that point and did not want to start over again!!!
So it was
60 - Burpee with jump (no push-up)
60 - One legged push-up alternating legs
60 - Jump lunges
30/30 - One legged dead lift (both legs straight)
60 - crunches with extension
60 - prisoner squats with front kick
60 - One legged tricep dip
60 - back extensions on ball
30/30 - over the chair kick.
Then a big stretch. I was shaking all over afterwards so I know I pushed out of my comfort zone!!! The bending over during blueberry picking was not so nice on my back either. I managed to not actually have a good lunch and I paid with a headache. I am a little annoyed with myself because I know better.

Anyways,
Cathy - You day tomorrow sounds a bit like my day today. I signed up my oldest for power skating so there goes another night a week to the travelling road show! But I also signed them up for a nature camp for 3 days next week so that will be a nice break for me. Are you feeling rested this week?

Janis - I can't believe that it has been 4 weeks! It just seems so crazy that it has totally taken you out for a month! I had bursitis in my knee a while ago (pre-Cathe) and it was very painful! Hopefully that is not it and I hope the hip helpers helped! I loaned mine to my sister so I am hopeing that she'll bring it back soon!

MJ - How's it going?

Tara - Are you travelling????

Cheers
Heather

Just a quick note as we are home from the park and getting ready to head to baseball! I did the yoga warm-up this morning, then Hiit Double Wave Pyramid and followed that with Body Fusion Stability Ball Abs. Managed the Hiit without extra pauses, but I was sure sucking air!

Heather I felt rested last week without baseball! This week not so much what with extra dogs, extra kids, baseball after the park....

Good morning

I am sitting in a pool of sweat! Yuck! It is so humid! I really didn't want to workout this morning but I did anyways and I am glad that I did.
WU: mish-mosh but alot of dynamic stretching for hamstrings as they were really tight
WO: 3 rounds of 35 sec work and 10 sec rest
Jumping Mountain Climbers 30,31,29
Goblet Squat with 20lbKB 8,8,8
Push-up to Side plank star 9,8,7
Hamstring Roll-ins 10,9,9
Reverse Push-ups (on squat rack) 9,11,12
Bulgarian split squat R then L 12,12 then both in the same 35 sec 8,8 8,8
Dancing Crab 29,30,29

Total time 16.5 min
CO: Tabata 2 rounds of each Jump rope High Knees, Donkey kicks off step, Speed Skaters, Jump rope High Knees

By the time I got to the hamstring roll in's I couldn't do single legs, so I had to do them together. I have to figure out what I did that killed my hamstrings yesterday!

Cathy Great job making it through the Hiit workout! You have had a busy week!

Gotta run
Heather

Well I'm reporting nothing today except that I'm exhausted from lack of sleep from a combo of things. Ugh! :( And my calves are killing me! All I did yesterday (using them) was the Hiit workout. Whether it was doing that with no shoes or later in the day having to walk more than expected in flat sandals, I don't know. It's not even where they normally get sore. Usually I get sore in the biggest part of the calf, but this is lower than that. Hoping it's better by tomorrow.

Heather I hope your hamstrings get better real quick!

Off to take Derek to the orthodontist. Definitely NOT the highlight of his day!

My calves are still sore, but better and my abs are still sore from the whole two days of ab work that I did. :rolleyes: So, this morning I did 40 minutes of yoga. Was awake about 5 today, but I was down before 10:00 and slept really well until then, so I'm way ahead of yesterday!

Hope you are all doing fine!

Hey Everyone

I have been pooped lately so I took a rest day and just did yoga this morning. I did get a little sweaty anyways and it felt really good. Yesterday I treated myself and got Eion Finn's Power yoga for happiness. It was very flower powerish but fun - I did magically hips. I need to start doing this more often to balance out all the intensity.

Unfortunately I have a big blister under one of my callouses.... I am hoping that it's not too sensitive tomorrow to do my heavy swinging day. I may have to wear gloves but hey!

Hope your calves start to feel better Cathy! My hamstrings got alot of stretching today doing the yoga dvd! They are feeling a little better today...

Janis - Hope you are doing alright and are at the physiotherapists!

MJ - How has your week been going!

Tara...Oh Tara??? Are you out there?

Talk to you all soon
Heather

Hi Ladies

I have been busy catching up on neglected household things like cleaning, baking, washing, and scrubbing. Keeping busy also keeps my mind off of how much my muscles have atrophied and it prevents me from sitting. Sitting used to hurt, however I seem to be getting a lot better as it doesn't hurt as much.

Yesterday, I did a rehab routine I found on a website and today I finally did the Hip Helpers dvd by Jill Miller. It was hard for me, but it was very effective and had all the correct rehabilitation moves included. Tomorrow I am going to do it again (maybe) and try to do her shoulder one also. Since I have been impressed with her instructions I ordered her Core Integration dvd too. God knows I don't work my core as much as I should that neglect very well could have contributed to my current injury.

Heather - MyFit has a hip flexor rehabilitation workout I am going to try too. If you hadn't mentioned that site I wouldn't have found it, so thanks. And thanks again for Jill Miller too. When this odyssey first started I ordered several yoga dvds, which I haven't tried yet, Eoin Finn's was one I looked at - did you like it? I mean other than the flower power side of things. I hate touchy-feely hands on instruction ala Bryan Krest.

Cathy - Hiit DWP definitely could be the cause of your sore calves. There is a lot of jumping and hopping going on. I can see how that would bring on a new and different kind of calf pain and fatigue, especially if done bare foot. I am glad you got a better night's sleep last night. Being tired, being busy, and being hot is an unpleasant combination.

I am feeling really low, depressed even. It is mostly hormones, but it also is psychological. In my reading about this particular type of tendinitis I learned that depression from non-exercise is a common side effect. Yep, I concur. It is a big (sad face) bummer.

I did make an Apricot Almond Frangipane tart this morning. Looks delicious.

Last edited:
I am doing the happy dance and keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned! I finally found a home for Derek's guinea pigs that I've been taking care of for a year and a half and finally said no more. He just had to have them and we put him off for a year thinking that if he still wanted them that he really truly would take care of them. But, no, they apparently were just not what he was expecting them to be. Even though we'd read tons of books about them. Word of mouth hadn't worked so, Monday when we went to the fair I had pictures of them and wrote info on the back and left them by the guinea pig cages. No one was around right then to talk to. A women called me today and was interested in having them for her son for 4-H. They were still at the fair with his rabbits. They have experience with them and I was really hoping them would go to someone interested in showing them as they were likely to get better care that way. So, tomorrow I'll be giving them baths and making them all pretty and getting their stuff ready to go on Sunday. They'll be packing up from the fair and be able to come get them later in the day. So hoping nothing happens to change their minds!!

Janis I'm so glad you've found some DVD's that are working for you and will help you heal. It must feel wonderful to be able to do something! I totally understand about the no exercise induced depression, BTDT myself more than once.

And Heather joined in the yoga/stretching with us! I know that I really should find a way to add at least 30 minutes into my day everyday, but somehow that just doesn't happen.

Good Evening - I can't believe it is evening!!! Today has been thunder storm after thunderstorm! Finally the temperature has dropped!!! Today was supposed to be heavy day but my blister came along and bit me! I was at swing 134 and my plan was to do 200 in 6 min but my blister was really hurting and that caused my grip to change so my forearms were burning too! I was really disappointed! But hey. I will take it easy on the swings until the blister goes away. The chalk is in but I have to get downtown to get it and it is something that I don't do very often.

So the funny thing about Eionn is he looks like my dad when he was younger without the beard... really just his body type. My dad is a wrestling sized Scottsmen. Anyways, the whole time I kept seeing my Dad's head on Eion's body and that really cracked me up!

So
WU: Dislocates, pumps, sumo stretches and wall squats
WO: C&P 5 x 3 with assisted pull-ups/chin-ups
CO: 3.5 min of HTH and two armed swings = 134

So I can now do the wall squats if I do them after the sumo squat stretch... so that makes me happy! But I was very disappointed not to be able to do the full time for swings. I was really winded after the 3

Cathy - Hope you can get rid of the guinea pigs.... i have a thing about rodents in the house!!!! Yes I am joining the yoga movement but I haven't done it yet today even though my body loved it yesterday... Crazy but my abs were actually sore today.

Janis - I don't think that I told you about the myfit site... I can only lay claim to Jill Miller and Core Performance. I would have to say that so far I like Eion the best out of all the yoga DVD's that I have. We only have a back DVD from Rodney so I am not sure that it is a good comparison but I really think that I will be doing more Eion. He is really relaxed and compares everything to what level ski hill it is and just seems happy!
I hope that you can get back slowly and the yoga dvd's might be your best bet to getting back to running. I went to Eion's site yesterday and their was an article about running and yoga and how beneficial yoga was to runners and their tight hips and leg muscles. It really spoke to me! TotalfitnessDVD's has a fairly long clip of his video's to sample. A bit hock-ee and a bit love in-ish but NOT Brian Kest-ish in the least!
Keep moving girl and look at this set back as a challenge versus a loss.... Easy to say ... I know!
Hello to Tara and MJ
Cheers
Heather

WOO HOO!!! The girls went to their new home and I have the boys room cleaned and rearranged! Amazing how much bigger it looks. The cage took up about a 6' x 5' area. They will be used for 4-H next year and the family has another female and has had others in the past, so I feel that they will be well taken care of there. I can't tell you how good it feels to not have them to take care of anymore. Nothing against them and in a weird way I'm going to miss them, but they weren't my choice to have and I have plenty of others things to take care of at any rate.

This morning I went for a 12 mile bike ride. Had to detour due to a charging German Shephard though. Dealt with him 2 year ago when I was riding and hadn't seen him yet this year. Had hoped he was no longer around and given his propensity to chase things including vehicles I'm rather surprised he's survived.

Heather I hope your blister heals up soon! You got storms yesterday? We didn't, but we're getting rumbles now along with light rain. We've had so much rain this year that everything is green - which is not the norm for mid-July here, but very nice to see.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.