workout surface

amynicole

Cathlete
I was reading the injured thread on the ask cathe forum and it was talking about working out on a cement floor can make you more prone to injury. Well I'm wondering what you all think of my workout surface. The house I own has no basement, therefore, the first floor is the foundation and under the nice looking flooring is concrete. I workout in my living room, and we put down really really plush padding so the floor feels really soft and a good quality really plush rug on top of that. When you walk in there it feels nice and cushy to the feet. When I do my workouts in there, am I prone to injury as if I am working out directly on concrete or becuae of the good padding and good rug am I protected from the concrete danger?

Your flooring over the concrete should be raised above the concrete. This should give you enough "give" that you're not truely working out on concrete. I have never heard of a home having a wood floor placed directly on the concrete floor (without a "grid work" to allow for insulation to keep the floor from getting too cold). So I guess I'm saying I'm 99% sure you don't have a problem. Hope this helps.
Dawn W

Yeah, when I used to lease lofts in Chicago I got to know a bit about flooring, especially hardwood, and they always put down a framework that sets the wood above the bottom flooring. So you should be fine. Just be carefuly you doing BOING right into the ceiling! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.