Workout slump....

Worknprogress

Cathlete
I am in a workout slump. I have been in them before but this one is bad!

Before I would at least work out once a week and that would last for 2 or 3 months and then I would get back into it.

This time it has been months since I have worked out. I don't even do a once a week weight workout like before.

How do you get out of a slump like this?

I am not sure what motivates you or why you are in a slump but I can tell you that you will regret losing your fitness, you will regret the loss of energy, you will regret the gained weight, you will regret the lack of determination, you will regret just about everything there is about being in shape.

I was in a slump after the holidays. We traveled for New Year's and being out of my workout routine did me in. Thankfully it was only a couple of weeks but the way I got out of it was to just put on my workout clothes and get back on the horse. It wasn't too hard to get back on track once I got that one workout in on that one day. Best of luck starting back...just think how good you will feel :)

I keep buying new dvds for one, so I always have that excitement of trying something new. And when I'm not in a workout mood at all, I choose a 30 minute workout, usually when I'm not in the mood for a workout, I still seem to be able to talk myself into doing one that is just 30 minutes.

Sometimes a new outfit or sneakers can help too.

Uggggh! I'm the same. I've just felt everything seems tedious. I think it's Feb. blahhs. I'm training for a half marathon so doing nothing isn't an option, which is all keeping me moving. Set a goal? I run for me it's the race end of May. Maybe finish a rotation?

For me...getting on the scale OR getting on the treadmill just for a slow paced walk. Once I'm on the treadmill I find myself wanting to slowly increase the pace.

I keep buying new dvds for one, so I always have that excitement of trying something new. And when I'm not in a workout mood at all, I choose a 30 minute workout, usually when I'm not in the mood for a workout, I still seem to be able to talk myself into doing one that is just 30 minutes.

Sometimes a new outfit or sneakers can help too.

This is really good advice. I have been dragging myself to my workouts too. I don't know if it is the winter blahs or what! I have taking more rest days and when it comes to a workout day and I don't want to I talk myself into at least doing SOMETHING - which amounts to walking the dog for 45 minutes some days or one 30 minute workout. Then mentally I know I at least did something and don't feel so down on myself for the next workout. Sometimes the idea that you are so far behind makes you think why bother? So if I at least do something I feel that I am still on the path of fitness.

I am in a workout slump. I have been in them before but this one is bad!

Before I would at least work out once a week and that would last for 2 or 3 months and then I would get back into it.

This time it has been months since I have worked out. I don't even do a once a week weight workout like before.

How do you get out of a slump like this?

Hi! Why do you think you are in the slump to begin with?

Something I sometimes do when I'm not in the mood to work out: I trick myself into it. I say to myself, I don't have to work out, but I'll just get into the clothes in case I feel like it later. I don't have to work out, but I'll just get out the equipment, in case I feel like it later. I don't have to work out, but I'll just put in the DVD in case I feel like it later. I don't have to work out, but... Finally, everything is all set for an amazing workout, and it just seems silly to put it all away without doing the workout.

Last edited:

Something I sometimes do when I'm not in the mood to work out: I trick myself into it. I say to myself, I don't have to work out, but I'll just get into the clothes in case I feel like it later. I don't have to work out, but I'll just get out the equipment, in case I feel like it later. I don't have to work out, but I'll just put in the DVD in case I feel like it later. I don't have to work out, but... Finally, everything is all set for an amazing workout, and it just seems silly to put it all away without doing the workout.

I like this advice....along the same lines, you can get ready for your workout and tell yourself that 10 minutes in if you still don't feel like working out, you can stop. Usually by 10 minutes your energy level is there and you want to keep going.

You know, avoid all people trying to make you feel bad about the workout slump. It happens to us all and I am right there with you.

I have not worked out for 2 or 3 months because I have been plagued with depression, constant headaches that last 2 weeks at a time, viruses, and migraines. I have never sustained so much consistent sickness in my life. I think it all stems from the depression and suppressed immune system, but whatever. I do not feel guilty about it. And there is not a whole lot of "regret" either, although according to one poster here, I should apparently be swamped with it. No, not at all. And I think it is incredibly unhelpful for anyone to suggest such a thing. So, please ignore all suggestions regarding regret.

Workout slumps do not last forever, and this one will pass too. I agree with the poster who suggested that yours has probably happened for a reason. I know mine has. Analyse those reasons if you like, or not. I am not sure that such analysis is helpful. The slump is the slump and that's about all you can say about it!

The fact that you have come on here to post about your current slump suggests you are reaching the point of starting to think about doing something about it. Take your time. You could start back tomorrow, or next week, or the week after that. No sweat. The end result, for when you do get back into it, will be the same so when you decide to jump back in, or ease your way back in, it doesn't really matter if it's sooner or later. When you are ready. When you reach the point where you are sick of yourself, sick of the inactivity and think you might go mad if you don't break a sweat soon, then you are ready.

When you do decide it's maybe time to put a toe back in the water, ignore all rotations/fitness plans/and bust-a-gut super advanced workouts. Instead, pick a few workouts that truly bring you joy and just do those few for a while and see how you feel. Once you start moving again, it just feels so bloody good to move, you should revel in that exact feeling: moving. So, it doesn't matter whether it's step, kickbox, treadmill, weights, or freestyle dancing around your living room, just move and enjoy being in your body.

Wishing you a happy end of slump, whenever you feel ready. I might go to the gym tomorrow with my fave tunes and maybe do some powerwalking at much slower paces than I normally do, just to see if I can do a workout without triggering a headache. How about you? Thinking of you and wishing you well,

Clare

Incidentally, MStar has posted something like this before and this advice really works. I didn't want to do anything but sit and watch tv last night but I had already setup my room and by 6 pm I put on my clothes. Then it just seemed logical to turn on the dvd, even if I wasn't going to do the whole thing. I did the cardio timesaver from BM2 and it whooped my butt. By 7 pm I was done. I didn't even wear my hrm, I did it just by how I felt.

Its ok not to do the whole enchilada, all the rotation or the whole dvd. There is nothing wrong with easing into it. Life is not an all or nothing proposition and neither are workouts.

Do you think you are fighting some depression? If so exercise is the cheapest, easiest and least fattening treatment available. The other thing to look into is whether or not you are suffering from a vit. D deficiency. That can make you feel totally blah. My mom went through that last year and was barely able to walk. Its a simple blood test.

I hope you feel more pep in your step soon. Let us know how things are going,

Alisha

It happens to me frequently. My best tricks:

1) I bribe myself. a new work-out outfit to get started in, or something I have been wanting (yet I am not allowed to wear it or use it until I get my first-or x number-of work-outs done.) Or something I have been wanting that I will buy after I hit a certain goal (usually x number of workouts)

2) Get started NOW. No excuses. JUST DO IT!!!!!!

3) Do SOMETHING now (or at a pre-determined time).

4) Work-out now, but I only have to do it for 20 minutes. I can do anything for 20 minutes! (once I get started, I start to feel good and I want to keep going.

5) Think about WHY you stay fit; is it to look good? because you think exercise is "the fountain of youth"? (I do), For your children's sake? To fit in your favorite jeans/skirt/clothes?

6) Think about an upcoming event (Spring Break at Disney World-kids want to spend a lot of time at the pool which means me in a bathing suit.......also, lots of pictures taken on vacation--yikes!)

7) get a work-out buddy, if you can. That way you have to be accountable to someone, and it's more fun!

I usually pick "a trick" and focus hard on it for a week or so. By then I am feeling better and getting back into my groove. BTW, I am goofing off on this forum instead of working out. If you go do it, I will!!!!

I have been in workout slumps before and the hardest part was to just get started again. One you get the "first" workout out of the way it will get easier. So, I would recommend you choose a workout you really enjoy or one that's not super tough and start with that. Or just get out for a nice walk to start moving.

One of the reasons I used to end up taking extended vacations from exercise was that I was trying to fit too many things in, and it ended up not being enjoyable anymore. Now, I allow myself to do shorter workouts and I do what makes me happy. I've been focusing only on yoga for the last few months and I'm much happier than when I was trying to do what I though I "should" be doing.

Starting this thread is also a great start.:)

Well to defend myself as I see I must, I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. I was expressing an opinion based on every single person that I have known who has stopped exercising and then couldn't get back into the groove. However, these were people that didn't have medical or mental reasons (like depression) that made them stop working out - they just lost their motivation. Medical and mental reasons are a completely different kettle of fish.

To clarify, the phrase "Workout slump" to me means a simple loss of motivation that does NOT stem from illness (mental or physical). If I am feeling sick, I certainly DO NOT regret not working out because I know I need to take care of myself. However, if I am in a "workout slump" which means (to me) a simple loss of motivation and I am physically and mentally able to workout, then yes, I certainly feel regret because I know that I will feel 100% better when I get in the swing of things. So I think the one poster's situation is not a workout slump to me and therefore my post wouldn't apply to that situation.

Last edited:
WNP, I'm right there with ya. I'm not sure what my problem is lately, but I don't feel like working out either. I wish I had some advice for you, but just know that you're not alone. :)

I find that I have a greater motivation to work out when I think about working out as a positive action--that is I am strengthening and defining my muscles and increasing my cardio capacity, as opposed to some negating action--I am working out just to undo the chocolates I ate. Such a frame of mind also helps me to eat healthier.

I find that I have a greater motivation to work out when I think about working out as a positive action--that is I am strengthening and defining my muscles and increasing my cardio capacity, as opposed to some negating action--I am working out just to undo the chocolates I ate. Such a frame of mind also helps me to eat healthier.

I totally agree with this thinking! I am much more motivated now that I am thinking of fitness as making me stronger rather than helping me to fit into a certain size dress.

I was also tempted to delve into some unhealthy treats earlier but reminded myself that my now stronger, more developed muscles do not show through fat and fat is hard to get rid of when I don't eat healthy.

I hope this thread helps you find the motivation you need!

You know, avoid all people trying to make you feel bad about the workout slump. It happens to us all and I am right there with you.

I have not worked out for 2 or 3 months because I have been plagued with depression, constant headaches that last 2 weeks at a time, viruses, and migraines. I have never sustained so much consistent sickness in my life. I think it all stems from the depression and suppressed immune system, but whatever. I do not feel guilty about it. And there is not a whole lot of "regret" either, although according to one poster here, I should apparently be swamped with it. No, not at all. And I think it is incredibly unhelpful for anyone to suggest such a thing. So, please ignore all suggestions regarding regret.

Workout slumps do not last forever, and this one will pass too. I agree with the poster who suggested that yours has probably happened for a reason. I know mine has. Analyse those reasons if you like, or not. I am not sure that such analysis is helpful. The slump is the slump and that's about all you can say about it!

The fact that you have come on here to post about your current slump suggests you are reaching the point of starting to think about doing something about it. Take your time. You could start back tomorrow, or next week, or the week after that. No sweat. The end result, for when you do get back into it, will be the same so when you decide to jump back in, or ease your way back in, it doesn't really matter if it's sooner or later. When you are ready. When you reach the point where you are sick of yourself, sick of the inactivity and think you might go mad if you don't break a sweat soon, then you are ready.

When you do decide it's maybe time to put a toe back in the water, ignore all rotations/fitness plans/and bust-a-gut super advanced workouts. Instead, pick a few workouts that truly bring you joy and just do those few for a while and see how you feel. Once you start moving again, it just feels so bloody good to move, you should revel in that exact feeling: moving. So, it doesn't matter whether it's step, kickbox, treadmill, weights, or freestyle dancing around your living room, just move and enjoy being in your body.

Wishing you a happy end of slump, whenever you feel ready. I might go to the gym tomorrow with my fave tunes and maybe do some powerwalking at much slower paces than I normally do, just to see if I can do a workout without triggering a headache. How about you? Thinking of you and wishing you well,

Clare

What Clare said.

Well to defend myself as I see I must, I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. I was expressing an opinion based on every single person that I have known who has stopped exercising and then couldn't get back into the groove. However, these were people that didn't have medical or mental reasons (like depression) that made them stop working out - they just lost their motivation. Medical and mental reasons are a completely different kettle of fish.

To clarify, the phrase "Workout slump" to me means a simple loss of motivation that does NOT stem from illness (mental or physical). If I am feeling sick, I certainly DO NOT regret not working out because I know I need to take care of myself. However, if I am in a "workout slump" which means (to me) a simple loss of motivation and I am physically and mentally able to workout, then yes, I certainly feel regret because I know that I will feel 100% better when I get in the swing of things. So I think the one poster's situation is not a workout slump to me and therefore my post wouldn't apply to that situation.

Michele:

I appreciate your clarification and I am sorry you felt the need to defend yourself. My words were not meant to inflict harm upon you specifically and I am sorry for hurting you.

I think your clarification is an intelligent one and I certainly understand your viewpoint.

However, I think that whether someone is in a slump due to lack of motivation or more overt psychological or physiological reasons (because every slump has a psychological basis), thinking of regret and trying to use that as a motivating force may still not be terribly helpful. To get up off our butts, what we need are positive voices and words to replace the negative ones in our heads which are currently keeping us on the couch. Regret, to me, would go hand in hand with "shoulds," and "musts," and have tos". They just don't motivate nearly as well as other more positive rationales such as moving simply for the joy of it and the relief it will bring. Perhaps self-beratement works for some. To me, however, it is the height of negativity whether depressed or not depressed. Who needs it?

This would be my clarification.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.