Workout Encouragement Needed

gettinfit@42

Cathlete
I've been in a major slump for awhile, and because of this, I need to lose even more weight than before. According to my Dr. records, I'm morbidly obese. For health insurance, I've had to join Weight Watchers (again) and they pay for it. I have ALOT of Cathe's dating back to her earlier days, along with many other workouts. Classic Firms, Jari Love, Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Beach Body systems, Jillian, Bob....the list goes on. I suffer from fibromyalgia, and strength training is very important for this. I should also note that I'll be 47 next month.

I still have the following as Cathe virgins: The Low Impact Series and XTrain, along with Crossfire and To The Max, and the HIIT dvd. I love Cathe for strength training, but sometimes struggle with her cardio workouts (Love Step Heat from back in the day!).

Can someone PLEASE light a fire under my butt?!?! I need to lose about 80 lbs, and more importantly, I would like to lose inches. I have 3 weddings to attend this year too. Thanks for listening to me vent. I plan to be more active on Cathe's site because I don't feel like I truly belong at VF.

You've taken a great first step by seeking support on this forum. There are a lot a wonderful folks on here who will provide you with encouragement and motivation.

I feel each of us deserves to be a happy and healthy version of ourselves and exercise is one factor that contributes to that. May I recommend you start TODAY with Yoga Relax from LIS. It will ease you back into a routine and hopefully you'll feel good that you did something for yourself. Cathe's November 2011 rotation utilizes LIS; perhaps following it will give you some added direction. Don't worry if it takes you longer than 30 days...take one day at a time, celebrate minor victories and stay focused on your goals.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

Lisa

Thank you both for responding! I actually walked two miles with Leslie, so at least I did something today! I tend to not "stick" to things these days. I have a few good days, something gets in my way then I'm off track! A few years ago I was so dedicated to my workouts. I set a 7:00 appt with myself to workout.....I need to do that again!

I hope tomorrow to try one of the Xtrain strength workouts. For now I need to keep my cardio low impact. I was trying JNL a few weeks ago, and that was a mistake because my fibromyalgia was sort of acting up and the impact sent it spiraling. I know I will succeed this time with the wonderful support I'll get from this site!

Thanks again!

Hi and welcome!

I think you're off to a great start and, as someone who has re-started many, many times my best advice to you is Embrace the Premix!

I too have fibromyalgia and am 45. Right now I'm doing Cathe's XTrain and LIS series rotation. Loving it. Strength training and HiiT...all good!

Be patient and kind to yourself. One workout at a time...just do Something. Let the joy of movement be your motivation and let the rest go.

Premixes let you participate without having to go all in on days you just can't face it. Or if you're short on time.

Good luck!

Hello!
I cant add much more then these other ladies wrote. I myself am trying to lose weight too and just like the post above me said, just take it one workout at a time and one day at a time. I love xtrain and i love the older cathes as well. I suggest also if u have it body fusion, basic step and low impact step and incorperate some LIS and use premixes from them til you can do more... And try to enjoy it. Have fun do what u can...everyday and dont stop dont quit! You deserve to be healthy and life a long life!

Thank you, Story and Renee!

Renee: When I was browsing the Weight Watcher check in group,I think I saw your name there. Is it a good check in?

Yes it is! Im not even actualy on that all the time because im undecided to do it or not since im trying mfp but no luck yet. But they are really a nice bunch or ladies! To say that is an understatment because they are so welcoming and included me in even tho i was thinking about joining but havnt yet. One offered a ww calculater. I thought that was so nice! I drop in to say hi once in a while there. Im on three other threads so afraid ill get to many going as well. I really hope we can lose the weight. I wish u luck and im, cheering you on!

Yes it is! Im not even actualy on that all the time because im undecided to do it or not since im trying mfp but no luck yet. But they are really a nice bunch or ladies! To say that is an understatment because they are so welcoming and included me in even tho i was thinking about joining but havnt yet. One offered a ww calculater. I thought that was so nice! I drop in to say hi once in a while there. Im on three other threads so afraid ill get to many going as well. I really hope we can lose the weight. I wish u luck and im, cheering you on!

Hi Renee: What is mfp? :)

You ladies are wonderful! Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'll admit I've been looking around the site alot the past two days and a little overwelmed as to what workouts I want to do! I've been trying to skinny down my dvd collection and just stick to ones I know I click with (Cathe, Kelly, Jillian, some BeachBody).

Mfp is myfitnesspals it is a site with people trackong calories and it leys u track fat and sugar and protein. Its a great place to most of people lose the weight but there is a few of us that isnt losing but it is a nice place,to try.

You have a goal # 1 change your lifestyle and get healthy.

You are 47 and this is the time to become the best you possible. :D

So it seem weight watcher will teach you how to eat correctly and you may need to be a "life time" member I know a few but to me weight watcher isn't so much diet (it does seem to teach proper nutrition)

Now you need to start off slow - if you jump right back into a hard cathe workout - you will be in pain (even if you didn't have a chronic pain illness) I personally would try some lower cardio than you really enjoy. (fun music Turbo Jam ) is a great beginner easy on joint cardio. If I am sick and take off from working out I always slow myself back up to cathe speed with a Turbo Jam cardio party, then move up to Turbo Fire and then I'm to Cathe level again (CATHE kicks butt )

[/I] I haven't done Cathe low impact series but I've done her other cardio and Turbo Jam to Cathe is like a Model T ford to a mustang in speed LOL

I think you should also build up slow in your muscle strength. You don't want to get discouraged. I mean if you do a workout and have DOMS for a week its kinda of hard to keep motivated and going. I love Push Pull from the Body Blast series - it easily works for a beginner or someone returning to Cathe IMO

I hope your find encouragement and ready to be a NEW you for 2013. You can do it.

Hello! Just wanted to give you a pat on the back for getting started again! I tend to take my exercise in small bits, so I love Cathe's time saver premixes. I also enjoy her XTrain Bonus Burn segments for a quick weight session, one muscle group at a time. Best wishes finding and maintaining your fire!

Hooray for getting started

You should be proud of everything you do to get healthy whether its big or small. I think the most important thing is don't beat yourself up if you stray from the path for a day--let it go and start the next day fresh and on the right foot.

Some days I'm tired so I might grab a video that is my favorite but not part of the rotation I have on my calendar. That way I'm more motivated to do something. My favorite go to workout is Rhythmic Step.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Best,
-Michele

It's great you are asking for encouragement and guidance. I'm 50 and have worked out most my life. There are ups and down but I just keep going and trying as you will too. Weight watchers is great place to start and working out to your ability.

I wanted to mentionTosca Reno and Clean Eating. I found out about her on this forum and like her for great healthy eating. She makes sense and her site has great success stories on it to inspire you.

Cathe always says to eat clean and Tosca helps you with that!

Can't wait to see how your journey continues
Good luck!
:cool:

Hi there! I'm new to Cathe's site, but I wanted to chime in here as well and echo the comments that talk about how great these forums are. I am new to working out with Cathe - I would recommend starting over as a beginner. I am doing the beginners rotation - it is nice because I can do the workouts (they are 20-30 minutes long) and I feel a big sense of accomplishment. Even if you have the more advanced w/os, I would recommend starting with the beginners rotation.

Also, idk if you read, or what your real struggles are...but I know that diet is very important. A few books I would recommend are Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel and Alan Carr's Lose Weight Now (the longer weight loss book of his...it's about 168 pgs). A lot of people might disagree w/ me because these books preach a couple of somewhat extreme ideas but if you can take out bits and pieces from each of them, I think they can really help people change their MINDSET about eating. :)

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! :D:D:D

Gettinfit&42-I can relate to being in an exercise slump. After having my 3rd child, going back to work and trying to keep all the "balls" in the air (family, work, time for me), I let the last one fall. I loved to workout (especially with Cathe), but had no desire. I knew my clothes didn't fit, I was snacking way too much, felt not like myself...just plain "blah". After the New Year, my DH and I decided to have a biggest loser contest of our own. We also started watching the biggest loser too. What shook me awake was the episode where the doctor shared various health assessment results with contestants. The contestants, some very young, were literally killing themselves without knowing it (pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, etc). It was shocking. So, now I place my health as top priority because without it, all my other "balls" would fall.
So, my advice from this long novel is to place your health as top priority-you and your health are important.

I just want to say Good Luck to you and jaypea as well! :D You will find lots of inspiration on this site! :) There are some very very positive, encouraging people on here!

Yes! That's why I keep coming back. Cathe, and the forum members, are the best! I've been doing the 90 Day Undulating XTrain rotation since January, and I've joined WW online. I am back in the groove and feeling great. Thanks for the support!

I haven't been doing so good....but today is a brand new day to get it right and make a new habit!

Jaypea: I watch Biggest Loser and am finding this season to be very inspiring too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.