Working out when it's 80 plus degrees

morgs

Cathlete
I know that there are a lot of people who are in the medical field on this board, so I am wondering if this is dangerous or not.

A few days ago, we noticed that our house was a little more hot than usual, about 75 degrees on the digital thermostat, and we usually have it set at 60; DH went out to look at the air conditioning unit and sure enough,,,,ca-put ! We are going to have a new one in the next couple days, but, I am still working out in the house. We live in Minnesota so it's been really warm lately. Last night, I did KCP -or tried anyway. The thremostat read 80 degrees, and by the second Kick and Punch seg, I was SO HOT , dizzy ,and soaked with sweat,,,more so than usual. Though it felt good, I just could not get over being dizzy, I almost got a headache. I tried to go further, but just couldn't. I looked over at my water bottle and there was condensation just dripping down the sides of it and left a huge puddle on the counter top, SO,that should tell ya how hot and humid the house was. I HAVE to work out tonight too ( Bootcamp ) BUT wondering if there are any health risks. I have to admit,,,it really felt good to sweat like that, and had sips of water through out, but geez,,,it's a tough work out all the way around when the temp is 80 plus !! . Any advice is appreciated.
BTW: I will NEVER take air conditioning for granted again in my life,,,ugh! !! ;)

I've gone jogging in 80 + degree weather and I can promise you it is not really fun. I used to live on an island where the weather was always around that temp year round so you get semi used to it, . . . .BUT with that said when it can be dangerous is when you don't stay hydrated or get overheated. You'll notice the signs because you start to feel light headed and get a head ache. When that happens I say it is better to err on the side of caution. I'm no Dr. that is for sure but as Cathe always says listen to your body. On the days when I would over heat it would take days for me to recoup, . . not worth it. When it gets to hot outside I jog early in the morning or later in the evening. I also take classes at a gym w/AC.

Geez, I WISH it was 80 here!! I'm in Tucson where it was been 103-108 every day for the last couple of weeks--and it's going to stay there for awhile. I blast the A/C, keep a glass of water nearby and a bowl with a couple of ice cubes in it to rub on my face-because my face gets so hot you could fry an egg on it! :p I take more breaks than usual to sip water and wipe the buckets of sweat off myself and my step...that's all you can really do. I have in fact gotten lightheaded and dizzy a couple of times lately and I know it's because of the heat. As Janie said, you really have to just listen to your body. I just HAVE to take the cardio down a notch during the summer, that's all there is to it. Luckily, it's only for about 3 months. :D

Ahhhhhhh,,,Good Ole Arizona !! My parents are snow birds and travel that way over the winter ( don't blame them ) They head to Quartzite ( sp ? ) But yah, they said too, the temps get pretty high there. Still , I think I'll try doing Bootcamp tonight. If I wait until after 6:00pm, the sun is usually on the other side of the house and it's not as hot. You're all right, water is the key. I think I was right on for quitting last night when the headache came on. Thanks for the advice so far ,,,,,,,,
Bootcamp here I come !!

Morgs

I live in South Georgia and do the majority of my workouts outside in 95+ degree heat. The most important thing is to stay hydrated. I drink water throughout the day, not just during the workout. I really notice a difference when I drink water throughout the day.

There is something to say about being acclimated to the heat. The first week or so of summer is really hard but after a week I feel better and have more energy.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I'm in Phoenix and I we get alittle hotter than Tucson but I need to have air condition if it gets too hot in the house otherwise I can't do it. Morgs, just make sure you are careful doing that, I agree please drink plenty of water b/c you don't want to be out of commission longer than a day or two.

Janet I commend you for liking the heat b/c I can't take it :eek:

I live in Germany! It's in the 90's lately. Germay doesn't have AC! I still run outside, I carry 2 cold water bottles with me everytime I run. Just listen to your body when you workout and have plenty of water handy.:) I usully workout early in the mornings too. That helps! I also wear a heart rate monitor;) I back off, if my HR goes up to high. Stay safe and lots of drink water!

Get a fan, like those desk top ones, point it right in the center of where you workout. Be sure to eat salty food to keep the fluid in your body where it will do you some good. Drink plenty of fluids. Take a cool shower after your workout. You can make a little ice pack and put it on the back of your neck after your workout to bring your temp down. And, sometimes its not worth it. I took an indoor day on Monday cause it was 108 here. It was still 80 in the house but thats more tolerable than 108!

Today I'm skipping the cardio and doing a yoga workout.

I see people running when it's 90+ out and humid and just don't understand.

I worked out in my house with the air on a couple days ago and was sweating like a beast from the heat. Someone would have to be chasing me with a knife to run in that kind of weather!

Be careful and definitely stay hydrated. A few years ago I did a 60 mile bike tour on a really hot day. The ride was not well supported with water and food. I ended up getting dehydrated and 2 days later I was in the hospital with an A-flutter in my heart. The cardiologist told me dehydration can definitely cause the flutter issue. No damage to my heart but that was a scary time for me.
Trevor

I see people running when it's 90+ out and humid and just don't understand.

That would be me you're seeing! :p

I ran the other day, just before sunset, and it was 94 degrees with a heat index of about 100. It was brutal, but I am trying to acclimate myself to the heat before I run the Peachtree 10K on Sunday. That has to be the hottest, sweatiest race in all the world!

I ran it one year with a head cold and had some antihistamines on board. That was not a good race. I felt the beginning stages of dehydration that time... chills and a bit dizzy. But I finished the race.

I am doing fine running in the heat though. You just have to be careful to stay hydrated and watch for signs that you might be getting in trouble.

I live in SWF and work out in my garage. No a/c, just a couple of fans and water. I'm not sure how hot it is in there but it is HOT. During these hot months I try to do shorter intense workouts (30 mins) and do longer workouts if I can start early in the morning. I take more water breaks and recently got one of these neck ties that has crystals in it. I soak it in very cold ice water. Crystals expand and hold the cold moisture. Helps when working out and taking a run.

Carmen.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.