Working out after torn meniscus? (accident/not workout related!)

shellnc

Cathlete
I have a question for those who may have expereinced this type of knee injury. I posted almost four weeks ago that I had hurt my knee (my little dog and I had a little collision).

I'm finally going for an MRI tomorrow. They think I may have torn my meniscus and maybe injured the cartlidge under my knee cap. I'm sooo nervous and am praying I'm just a wimp who heals slowly!! I haven't been able to really do any cardio or lower body exercises in almost four weeks. I've been doing some leg raises as instructed by the doctor but that's it.

I'm just wondering if you've ever had a similar injury did you have to have surgery? Can you do squats and step aerobics now? How long did it take to heal. I'm really bummed out!! I was really wanting to be in great shape before we started trying for our second child this July - but this may put a kink in things. I also am on the preorder list for the new videos and am wondering if I'll ever be able to use them. This sucks really bad!

Thanks for any input!

Hi - What a timely question!

My SO just had surgery yesterday for the same injury. She waited two weeks before having an MRI and was doing a lot of gardening and dog-walking limping around with minimal pain. However at night it was a different story. She did have pain at night.

The surgery was quick (45 minutes). Brought her home last night. She was able to eat regularly and had no nausea or pain. She is to keep it iced and elevated for the next two days and she can walk with crutches. She'll be off the crutches on the weekend and can walk very carefully. Doc said she can do a little walking after about 10 days but no strenuous exercise. She's a mail carrier and a very active person and he said once the knee heals completely, it will feel better than ever and she can go back to work and resume all activities. She'll be off from work until the end of June, but remember, she's a mail carrier so the doc is giving her extra time off. Hope that helps. I'd be glad to keep you posted on her progress, just post here.

Mar:)

I tore my meniscus three years ago in September. (I was extremely active and an advanced exerciser for years.) I finally talked the doctor into surgery the following January when it wasn't getting any better. Some things are definitely better since surgery, but it isn't great, and I've come to believe that it will never be as it was. I was also told I have osteoarthritis at the same time. I've had several series of Synvisc and hyalgen (sp?) shots, which have helped more than anything else. Probably need another series now, but I'm holding off. Tried one cortisone shot, but that was absolutely no help, and I won't do it again.

I used to do 8" and 10" step aerobics 3 times a week, but now I do 4" step work outs, at the most, once a week. I always loved high intensity, high impact aerobics, but that's also out of the question. Also take Naprosyn 2X a day, which I've tried to cut back to once a day, but that doesn't work for me.

That said, I know there are a lot of people who have a better experience that I did. I hope all goes well for you.

By the way, I'm almost 53, and even with my knee problems, I can outdo most people a lot younger than I am.

Go for it!

RE: Working out after torn meniscus? (accident/not wor...

Tore my meniscus and severed my ACL 24 years ago. Had no insurance, so I couldn't even get a proper diagnosis (went around with a trick knee but still played basketball and softball never knowing when I'd get tricked) til 1985 when I finally had insurance. Arthroscopic surgery was just coming into its own then and my doc found the tears (ligament and cartilege), but I couldn't get them repaired because I had a four-month-old baby and couldn't have open surgery and be on crutches. So all he could do was remove the meniscus and buff up the 5 percent he left so there'd be some kind of barrier between the bones. He told me I'd have crippling arthritis by the time I was thirty. (I was 24 at the time.)As soon as I was off my crutches I began my home exercise habit.

Well, I'm 43 now and have been doing Cathe since about 1997. I do squats and lunges with a limited range of motion, and I do most aerobics with some lessening of impact, but I also have a bad other knee and a permanent back injury. You'll be fine. Just try not to do what I did and waste energy feeling bad about what you can't do when you can still do so much. They can do so much for knees now!

Most athletes suffer wear and tear and as we age it manifests in more and more ways. Life sneaks in and causes canine collisions that we have no control over and those events take their toll, too. If you love working out, you will always love working out. Pain and modifications will just give you one more challenge. Then again, you may have a complete recovery and not have to think about slowing down.

Sorry to ramble. Keep us posted on the results of your MRI.

--Ann

RE: Working out after torn meniscus? (accident/not wor...

Woo-hoo!! It's not torn!! I have a lot of inflamation inside my joing but all looks OK. I'v also agrivated the cartlidge under my knee cap. So, I have to stay away from stairs and be very careful when sitting - Like down on the toilet!!! I keep hurting myself every time I bend to deep.

I'm relieved. They said it's just going to take time and that I really need to try to exercise my quad with leg lifts - which I've been doing for 4 weeks now.

Thank you for your responses!!

shellnc

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.