why, oh why, are STS DOMS different?

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I need to get up and shake a tail feather :p but my booty and hamstrings are not being very nice to me this morning!!

I started my 4th round of STS on Monday, which meant Disc 3 legs was Friday. Had a sore tush Saturday, and it is TALKING to me today. I have to think real hard about sitting down and getting up. Do I really have to move? Or can I just stay here?:p:cool::eek::p;)

GS legs, LL, BG, nothing, nothing, nothing makes my backside hurt like STS legs. The 1st go around I was in serious hurts for probably 4 or 5 days. Rounds 2 and 3 were a couple days each, but Yowza!!!!

The other programs will hurt the first time, but not EVERY time. Is the the variety of moves, the depth of the moves, the length of the sets? It's not the weight I'm using, because I'm right where I need to be during the workouts, it's just after.

The DOMS elsewhere are comparable to Cathe's other workouts, but the legs, ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Does anybody else notice this, or is it just me?

Nan

Hi, Nan.

I've only done STS twice, but my DOMS was different, too. It wasn't particularly worse, but it was double-delayed. It was like DDOMS instead of just DOMS. I would be somewhat sore 24 hours after a workout, but the REAL thing would kick in 48 hours after a workout.

I never did find a good reason for it. But I wanted to at least say "You're not alone in experiencing different DOMS with STS than with other Cathe workouts."

Not an answer, but hopefully some encouragement, for what's worth. :p

Hi, Nan.

I've only done STS twice, but my DOMS was different, too. It wasn't particularly worse, but it was double-delayed. It was like DDOMS instead of just DOMS. I would be somewhat sore 24 hours after a workout, but the REAL thing would kick in 48 hours after a workout.

I never did find a good reason for it. But I wanted to at least say "You're not alone in experiencing different DOMS with STS than with other Cathe workouts."

Not an answer, but hopefully some encouragement, for what's worth. :p

Yes!! Double delayed, that's a good word. The 1st day is maybe a wee bit stiff, and the 2nd day is WHAMMY!!!!! And then they camp out for a lot longer than normal :p My legs are still sore today from Fri, but at least I can sit down and stand up!

Nan

Oh dear, I'm starting STS for the very first time this month, on Monday 1/24!!! :D Any tips on what's been helpful in alleviating this DDOMS? Epsom salt baths? Ibuprofen? Tons of water? Extra stretching 24 and 48 hours after? Anything? Pleeeeze? ;)

Foam roller, ladies! Do it every day for five minutes. It works out that soreness and the knots like nothing else. It feels so good on your legs!

+1 on the foam roller, also you will want to drink a recovery drink or eat something with a good balance of protein & complex carbs immediately following. for lighter workouts or when I don't feel too spent, I will take some capsules - a product called Recover Ease. for the times when I do a tougher workout or cardio plus weights, I will usually drink a recovery shake called Recoverite (Hammer Nutrition) or one scoop of Recoverite & one scoop of whey protein. if all that's too much, you can always drink a glass of chocolate milk!

Yes, I love my foam roller. And I did always make sure I had a good recovery drink with protein in it after STS. I still had DOMS, but it was never debilitating. Just intense. And double-delayed. :D

Recovery drink and foam roller

Is whey protein mixed with skim fat free milk considered a recovery drink? and also, when you say foam rollers, what are you referring to?

I have a whey protein shake made with skim milk and berries as my recovery drink, and I have for years. The foam roller is a piece of heavy duty foam cylinder about 8 inches in diameter and maybe 30 inches long that you roll yourself across to massage deeply into your muscles. You can get them at Target or any sporting goods store.

Thank you

I have a whey protein shake made with skim milk and berries as my recovery drink, and I have for years. The foam roller is a piece of heavy duty foam cylinder about 8 inches in diameter and maybe 30 inches long that you roll yourself across to massage deeply into your muscles. You can get them at Target or any sporting goods store.\

Thank you... I will have to get a vanilla flavored protein drink so that I can put some fruit in it; and I will have to invest in one of those rollers... I am starting the STS program in February... I just got it last Friday and I am so excited.. scared, but excited! ~ Dee

There's nothing to be scared of! The cycles ramp you up in weight just perfectly with just the right rest periods between sets. It's so much fun, and the music is great. The foam roller will be very beneficial during your STS experience for sure as will drinking a protein shake afterward. Your muscles will need it! My whole body leaned out and got so tight during STS. Looking forward to doing it a second time!

Oh, and I use EAS whey protein powder. Tastes great and doesn't have a lot of extra stuff in it that you don't need.

I did #7 disc Saturday night and I'm feeling the DOMS more so than using Cathe's other CD's. I finished up the 2nd round last fall but was in the mood so I picked a disc and did it! Boy, I'm feeling it...big time, but lovin it!

My 2 cents: it's the paper plate exercises that take you deeper; you challenge the muscles at a whole new level.

Now that I'm into my 2nd week of STS, I just wanted to bump this thread to say, STS leg DOMS are the most intense I've ever had! I did my first STS leg workout last Friday. It's Tuesday night now, and I'm just now getting back to normal, but I could feel my hamstrings during Athletic Step today. Oy!:confused:

These are great tips. I did Sts legs week 1 this AM and I'm really suffering! Gonna get that foam roller soon.

This was my first week of STS and yesterday was Legs. Oh my.....I was so sore this morning but managed to get through a premix of Cathe's Intensity workout.....ask me how??? I don't know.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.