Why is it that women have to make comments?

I agree with all of the previous posters. I can't comment on what you're wearing, as I can't see it, but if the boots are too sexy, that could be drawing unwanted attention. One thing I will say, when wearing an above the knee skirt with boots - to work - ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear stockings - specifically, tights the color of the boots or skirt. Ideally, they should be in the same color family (i.e. black boots and tights with a colored skirt, etc). Nude color or stockingless looks, well, nude. The flash of "bare" skin becomes the focal point. You don't want that in the office. After a significant weight loss, it is natural to want to show it off. Just be sure to do it appropriately. That way, no unwanted comments will be coming your way.
And congratulations on your achievement!!

My 2 cents worth ..

IA w/everyone here .. jealousy is the root of the problem ..

I have had my share of comments .. some meant as compliments some as bitterness of jealous small people ..

my advise is shake it off .. when a comment is made smile a devilish smile and say "why thank you" .. whether it was mean w/sweetness or bitterness ..

always smile and look them directly in the eye .. that way they are not really sure what you are thinking .. but know that you are confident and don't really give a rats @$$ what they think .. LOL!!!

I too get comments .. especially FOOD comments .. b/c I am always eating the healthier choices while everyone else is grabbing doughnuts and cokes .. I just smile and laugh .. and admittedly may be cursing them under my breath .. but they would never know .. would not give them the satisfaction ..

.. if someone insults you enough to where it is impairing your job .. then management should be consulted .. especially if someone is BREAKING into your locked office .. GMAFB .. she must be a psycho (have had my dealings w/psychos too .. stear clear of them) ..

hang in girl .. don't stoop to their level .. if you are dressed appropriately .. don't worry .. smile and leave them wondering!

remember .. small people will always belittle your amibitions .. it is the only way they can make themselves feel better ..

.. and when in doubt .. as my father always told me .. "sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" .. LOL!!

head up high chick!!!:7

Thanks for all the words of wisdom ladies (& gentlemen if you are out there).

The skirt was not hiked up around my a$$. Okay, really hot boots does not mean sexy boots. Sexy boots don't belong in the office. I know better.

Its one thing to get complimented but to be harrassed every time a person walks down the hall is completely different. This was harrassment. I am a big girl, I know the difference. I have never been treated so...dirty by anyone.

BUT, I cleared my head after posting this & held my head high. The office was very warm today because the heat was on & it got up to 68 here today. I had a sleeveless turtleneck under a cardigan. I decided it was time to show off my well toned arms. No one said a word. I guess muscle shuts people up.

I will be wearing another skirt tomorrow & I will look good & they can all go straight to a very warm place if they think they are going to stop me from being proud of what I have achieved.

Thanks again ladies!!!

"Its one thing to get complimented but to be harrassed every time a person walks down the hall is completely different. This was harrassment. I am a big girl, I know the difference. I have never been treated so...dirty by anyone."

Why in the world would your co-workers want to harrass you??? I don't get it.

-Nancy

>
>Wow. It's things like this that make me really appreciate the
>fact that I am the only female in a very male dominant working
>environment. I have worked hard to build a nice body and it
>shows through no matter what I wear. I sure am glad I don't
>have to deal with OTHER WOMEN'S INSECURITIES about that.
>Sheesh! x(

Hear, hear, Rogue. I also work in a male-dominated environment - I'm an Electrical Engineer - and it is so nice to not be around this kind of behavior. Granted, working with men has its own pitfalls (they're no strangers to objectification, harassment and lack of professionalism).

But I can't overstate how sad this entire conversation makes me. When I go to work, I'm thinking about what I want to accomplish that day, not how good I'm looking or whether I'm the hottest person in the group. I want to be taken seriously by the people I work with, and regarded for the work I do. This is hard enough already given the attitudes that people bring to the workplace, without it being exacerbated by women themselves. The last thing I want to do is contribute to the already rampant cultural stereotypes that state that the most important thing about women is what we look like. Can anyone imagine, in their remotest imagination, men fighting over what they are wearing or what they look like at work? This is embarassing to me as a woman - I don't know how we can expect to be on par with men with this type of ridiculous behavior taking place.

Just my opinion. The environment in a workplace different from the industry in which I work could be a completely different situation.

I think we all agree to the motive of the coworker and how inappropriate the comments were. Control your anger and don't play into their hands. You are better than that. Your outfit sounded conservative and work friendly. I must say the boots left me wondering if that might have sexed up the outfit a bit too much for work enviroment. Don't get me wrong. The boots sound very stylish, but maybe not the type we should wear to work? Just a thought. No judgement here. Lord knows I have learned the hard way a few times in my life LOL. Whatever the outcome....you have worked hard to improve yourself. Keep your head up, attitude positive, and always respond with style and grace. It kills them EVERY TIME!

We need a visual, lol....Take a pic of yourself in that outfit and post it!! I am so curious now.....}(

About the commments, WWWWHHOOOOO CARES!! You know the truth. They are jealous. Blow it off.

(congrats on becoming a hot mama!);-)

I have been dealing with "mean girls" since high school. Some people really let jealousy get the best of them. I have decided to distance myself from anybody who is "mean" or better yet, "jealous".

So, if I were you I would either ignore the comments or laugh. Either way, I would stay away from those people...they are not friends!!!!

Sara

It's one part jealousy, one part opinion and one part human nature. Woman can certainly be very catty, whether or not they even mean to be! That said, blow it off and walk proud in that hot outfit, girl! I have found that some of my nicest compliments and some of my greatest insults have come from the women around me! Isn't that awful!? Yeah, maybe they didn't mean to be insulting, but still, they were! Now I have some token retorts that I make & I just remind myself that people stay stupid things. I've come up with quiet a few good ones too! ha ha!

In my opinion, you NEVER invite comments that people make, no matter what you do or wear. That's like saying that a flirting woman deserves to be raped. Or that because I am six feet tall, random people can come up to me and say whatever they please. If you are wearing something sexy to work, then that is your prerogative. I have to believe that you aren't going to work in *that* sexy of an outfit. It is only if management tells you that it isn't in accordance w/dress code that there is an issue. Anyone else's comments are not invited or welcome. Yet, people will comment. Let them talk...you know you look good!

Enjoy that new figure and flaunt it appropriately :)

WOW!!! the green eyed monster is out in your office!!!
Don't let it bother you, You've worked hard to get were you're at. Enjoy it. Don't let those people bring you down.

>I will be wearing another skirt tomorrow & I will look good &
>they can all go straight to a very warm place if they think
>they are going to stop me from being proud of what I have
>achieved.

Now, that’s how you do it. Keep your head high and walk the walk. ;) ;) ;)

Teddygirl~

She's jealous - obviously.

But if you work in a professional environment, those boots might not be appropriate attire for just the reasons you mentioned. We recently had a Dress for Success meeting at work because so many people - men and women - weren't dressing professionally. The stylist said knee high boots in the office were a no-no. Still it sounds like this woman was out of line.

Hi Johnswife, I'm sorry for all the drama you've experienced recently. I'm confused ... your profile says you are male ... if true, couldn't that be part of the drama if this is the first time you've dressed in a skirt/boots at work? Or are your coworkers used to this? Just wondering. Please correct me if your profile is incorrect. Deb

>Hi Johnswife, I'm sorry for all the drama you've experienced
>recently. I'm confused ... your profile says you are male ...
>if true, couldn't that be part of the drama if this is the
>first time you've dressed in a skirt/boots at work? Or are
>your coworkers used to this? Just wondering. Please correct
>me if your profile is incorrect. Deb

:7 :7 :7

I would ignore them.

They are probably very jealous of you.

A coven of witches brought my career to an end. In retrospect, I see them as miserable wretches.

They just go into my very private life and then made me a laughing stock.

I won't go into it, but the best thing to do is ignore the comments, do your best at your job, and stay true to yourself.

Hold your head up!

Women are the worst! I bet out of most of the friends most women have...only a few of them are "true" friends who love to see someone get ahead or look good. Im pretty sure that since I got pregnant some of my so called friends are enjoying me balloon up and figure that I will keep the weight on. But Im pregnant....have you ever seen a skinny pregnant women???

Anyway..Im sure most of the comments were made out of jealousy. And I know its hard to ignore them. I think you got your point across though and you probably won't be having any problems with these ladies in the future. You worked hard! Show it off!
Lori:)

I haven't read all the replies but its JEALOUSY....Jealous Jealous Jealous. You know what you could do is copy all your replies and send out an office memo (hope you're laughing)!!:7 and let them see what their insecurites about theirselves has done. Sounds to me like you were dressed awesome and feeling wonderful about your accomplishments. Don't let them bring you down it isn't worth it. What is worth it is you!!!! So smile and be proud!!!!:)

>Hi Johnswife, I'm sorry for all the drama you've experienced
>recently. I'm confused ... your profile says you are male ...
>if true, couldn't that be part of the drama if this is the
>first time you've dressed in a skirt/boots at work? Or are
>your coworkers used to this? Just wondering. Please correct
>me if your profile is incorrect. Deb

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I never updated my profile. That's pretty funny considering Cathe's primary audience (targeted or not) is women.

guess I'll have to fix that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.