Why can't I use my recumbent bike with CycleMax?

toughYrun

Cathlete
I haven't preordered Cathe's new DVDs yet and I'm trying to decide if I want CycleMax or not. I have a recumbent stationary bike and, until I read Cathe's reply to someone wondering if their recumbent bike would be suitable, I figured that I would at least be able to modify. According to Cathe though, it won't work.

Can someone explain to me why not? I'm being stubborn, trying to convice myself that I can too modify!

There are probably at least some (maybe a lot of?) moves where you get out of the saddle (standing pedaling) which one wouldn't be able to do with a recumbent. But as someone who has sometimes modified workouts (like Cardio Core Circuit, or whatever the name of that one is) quite a bit, I'd say if it interests you, and you don't mind finding a substitute for the 'out-of-saddle' work, then go for it!

Elaine, spinning requires a lot of time standing up when you're pedaling. Hence, the concern about being able to do it. With that said, as Kathryn indicated, you may be able to modify some of it to do other things, but the downside to a recumbent bike is one sole position. I would recommend going to YouTube and looking up Spinning. There are a number of video clips out there and you can see what a class looks like. That may help you determine if you think you can modify in any way that suits your needs.

Hi Everyone! The following post will answer many of the similar questions that I have received all in one response. I hope you find it valuable and informative. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Yes, I will absolutely continue to make more spin DVD's if there is a demand for them in the future. Cycle Max will be my test to see how many people are interested in spin workouts and/or are interested in seeing future spin DVD's.

I'm also trying to get a feel for how many people have spin bikes at home.

Using an actual spin bike (along with spin shoes is even better) is the way to go. I have been asked many times if you can modify this workout using a stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical trainer, etc. My answer is that you can modify any workout and still get some benefit from it, but in order to get the absolute best results/benefits from Cycle Max (or any official spin based workout) you should use an indoor spin bike.

Actual indoor spin bikes have a heavy, weighted flywheel that is directly mechanically linked to the pedals. This makes them like fixed gear bikes, in that if you stop pushing on the pedals, they will tend to keep spinning due to the inertia of the flywheel. This makes for a much faster/higher pedaling cadence. Regular bikes or non-spin exercise bikes don't do this.

Advantages of using a spin bike verses a regular bike:

1) Spin bike has a nice lever with the full range of resistance immediately available.

2) The fixed wheel helps improve your pedaling technique and cardiovascular fitness

3) More adjustment options for reach, handlebar height, seat height

4) They are generally better put together.

As far as using CYCLE MAX on the elliptical or treadmill… again, anything can be modified to get something out of it, however, your results, benefits and overall experience will be entirely different. My guidance, coaching, terminology, drills, intensity levels will all not align properly with that of the modified piece of equipment, hence, the integrity of the intended workout will be lost.

Hope this provides you with some extra insight on spin bikes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.