whole body workout vs body parts workout

thinsgreat

Cathlete
i'm curious how many people do total body workouts (w/ weights )maybe 3 days/week vs.isolating: monday-chest/back, wed-legs, fri-shoulders, bi's....

Is there a difference--- is whole body (more reps, right?) only for endurance and the parts for strength? can you do the whole body for strength--- sometimes i get bored doing an hour of leg work.

would you consider the isolated workouts more advanced than whole body?

thank you

With body part splits (ie. chest & back; shoulders & legs; arms) you can target each muscle with more sets, leading to greater muscle fatigue. With total body workouts, you don't fatigue each muscle group to the same extent, however, you do still hit each group. And, with Cathe, you know you are hitting each muscle group enough!! For my rotation right now, I am doing a mixture of both types of workouts. I have really gotten into creating my own circuit workouts using Cathe's DVDs...Love it!! Also, I think mixing things up is good so your body never gets used to any one kind of training. I realize that for a while I was in a rut because I had my "cathe cardio routines". However, now with arthritis in my right hip, I can no longer do straight cardio ;( ;( ...too painful. BUT, circuit training is fine. FUN, FUN, FUN :eek: :eek: ...I have made some really get Cathe circuits. SO, bottom line, mix it up!! Hope this helps!!

Kristen

Hello, I am new to Cathe ** I Love Her ** but I am a little confused... I have a lot of her Dvd's but I am not sure how to mix them up... I seen your post on mixing them up, can you give me a
example on how to mix the Total Body workouts with the individual body part workouts? Thanks.....

Michele :D

>Hello, I am new to Cathe ** I Love Her ** but I am a little
>confused... I have a lot of her Dvd's but I am not sure how to
>mix them up... I seen your post on mixing them up, can you
>give me a
>example on how to mix the Total Body workouts with the
>individual body part workouts? Thanks.....
>
>Michele :D

Yea, I'd like to know what you're doing and how you feel your results from the various approaches compare. I've been doing splits, working lower body twice per week and have been reading posts here regarding weight loss and bulky vs. lean with great interest. Especially from the women who've found a way to manage cellulite(!). I think I may need to make changes but I'm so attached to the split and I know I really need to clean up my diet.

Hi! Thank you for the email. I have been doing this rotation for about two weeks now and I am really enjoying it. Here is what I have been doing.

day one: cardio AM: interval training (machine--Arc Trainer)
weights: boot camp/circuit style Cathe total body
(homemade using premixes and mix&match)

day two: cardio AM: interval training (machine--Elliptical)
weights: Cathe Legs/Glutes--HEAVY
cardio PM: stepmill

day three: cardio interval training (machine--Arc Trainer)
weights: Cathe Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Abs--HEAVY
(homemade using mix&match from different DVDs)
cardio PM: cardio circuit = elliptical, treadmill, bike

day four: cardio AM: steady state (machine--elliptical
weights: Cathe legs conditioning workout--LIGHT
>basically interval training using an Imax
with walking lunges, step-ups in between blasts)
cardio PM: incline treadmill walk 15% incline 3.2 mph

day five: cardio AM interval training (machine--Arc Trainer)
weights: Cathe Back, Shoulders, Biceps, Abs--HEAVY
(homemade using mix&match from different DVDs)
cardio PM: stepmill

day six: cardio AM interval training (machine--elliptical)
weights: circuit style/ boot camp Cathe total body
(homemade using premixes and mix&match)
cardio PM: cardio circuit: elliptical, treadmill, bike

So far I am seeing nice results. As you can see I work out alot, but I love it. I am a figure competitor so I understand the rigors of solid but consistant training. By mixing things up I maintain a better balance between heavy lifting and light lifting to shock the body--it never knows what to expect so it can't adapt. Shock is good!
I am able to maintain my strenght with the heavier lifting, but at the same time, with the interval circuit workouts I am giving myself an extra cardio challenge and shaping the muscles. I know many people will think this rotation may be a little too much, oh well. I like it, and have really seen some nice muscle growth & definition in my shoulders and arms. Also, with this rotation, my glute area is starting to lift a lot higher because of all the step-ups and walking lunges I am doing!! LOL!! :D

Kristen

>>would you consider the isolated workouts more advanced than whole body?<<

When I started weight training with a PT, she had me doing full-body workouts, 3 times a week; I was a rank beginner and had no weight training experience at all. As I got stronger, I did an upper body/lower body split. Then as I got even stronger, I did a 3-day split.

So yes, I would consider isolated workouts more advanced than full-body workouts.

Right now I'm doing a 3-day split, but I plan on starting a circuit roation in 1.5 weeks. I too would get totally bored if all I had were straight heavy weight training workouts.

Side note: I've noticed figure competitors do cardio twice a day at certain points in their training. Once I get a little more accustomed to doing rotations, I think I'll try that for a week or two...just for the heck of it. }(

Hello....

I have been doing P90x and Turbo Jam for cardio. When I got finished with my 90 day rotation I did Jari Love 3 days a week for weights.
I have been just picking different work outs each day from Cathe.
I have 8 of her Dvd's but I am not sure if I should get more or not.

I want to get leaner, get rid of the saddle bags, and get my abs
looking nice. I also want to have a nice upper body shape.

I usually work out in morning 2hours and then take the dog for
a 2.5 walk/run.I think that I am intermd level. I love to work out, and I love Cathe.... I just
wish that I had a better understanding of how to mix them up....

Michele :D

Thanks... I will try that...
I am not sure I will be able to break my workouts up like that.
I usually do them in the morning,what is your suggestion for -
cardio first/weights..or weights/cardio?

Thanks,
michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.