who quit coffee for green tea?

mini-natty

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

I want to try an incorporate more green into my diet and drink less coffee (I don't know if I have the willpower to stop entirely! I LOVE my coffee!). I was just wondering who was an avid coffee drinker, made the switch to green tea and never looked back. I am also afraid of going through withdrawals as I have a small 2 1/2 year old and don't want to get headaches, nausea, or become irritable around her. Who has seen a positive change in their health by drinking more green tea? I have also heard white & back tea also have anti-oxidant properties similar to green tea. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Natasha

I haven't given up my coffee and never will :p

however... I have substituted green tea for the 2nd large mug of coffee that I used to have at about 11:00 a.m. I don't consume any caffeine after that.

I still have my enormous mug of java first thing in the morning (with lots of half n half) though...lol

I have read that white tea is best, then green, then black, but I've only seen one package of white tea in my supermarket and it was very expensive... so I'll stick with green tea. Black tea does have anti-oxidant properties.. just not as much as green tea.. which in turn doesn't have as much as white tea.

I also learned recently that the difference between white tea, green tea and regular tea is not in the leaves themselves, but in the processing procedure.

So now you can get green tea in many different flavors. I particularly like Bigelow's Earl Gray green tea.

Last edited:
Coffee is liquid awesomeness. I cannot imagine not drinking it, but I generally don't drink more than two cups a day and I do drink some tea as well.

Coffee is liquid awesomeness. I cannot imagine not drinking it, but I generally don't drink more than two cups a day and I do drink some tea as well.

Ditto...coffee offers some health benefits as long as you don't go past 2 cups a day. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.;):p:D

Quit caffeine, kept the decaf

About 18 months ago, I quit caffeine because I have high blood pressure, despite having normal weight & good eating & exercise habits, on the advise of my doc.

I drank coffee in the morning & green tea all day, so I let go of the tea cold turkey & tapered off the coffee. Tried to not drink any form of coffee, but I like to sit in front of the TV with my coffee cup for an hour in the morning to wake up, & found that decaf does the trick. I feel lots better - 'cause caffein made me more jittery than I knew. I can concentrate better and my mood is better. I had no idea how much caffeine was affecting me!

As for the blood pressure - it came down for a time then went up again so I'm on medication for it. Never went back to the coffee, and don't miss it. I'm a big water drinker now.

Coffee in moderate quantities is not a bad thing, is it? I do coffee first thing and add in tea later in the day. If you're worried about cutting caffeine, you could try switching to half caff coffee for a bit, and then decaff if necessary.

FWIW, coffee and tea have comparable antioxidant levels, though the exact antioxidants are different. If you look it up, you'll see that both coffee and tea have been shown to protect against certain cancers and conditions. Drinking both may be the best answer to get a wider range of protection.

I've tried to like green tea, but I really can't stand the taste. I just stick to black tea because it has the same anti-oxidants as green tea (its just not marketed that way!).

Have you tried any of the "flavored" green teas?

I also didn't like the taste of plain green tea, but I had always liked Earl Grey black tea.

Bigelow makes an Earl Grey green tea that is very good. And they have several other green tea flavors...

I don't like coffee so it is easy for me to drink tea, green and otherwise. :p Green teas can differ in taste, just like black teas. Try several. My favorites are in the gunpowder family, but I also like other china greens. Japanese senchas, etc., not as much. Green teas can be very grassy which is not appealing to me. I also like the occasional jasmine and mint. It is worth experimenting around to find one you enjoy.

A good site for exploring different greens is www.uptontea.com. I like that you can buy samples (although many greens are so cheap, I often just get the entire bag).

You might also consider oolongs which are more fermented than green, but less than black. Some of those can have interesting flavors as well.

I'm slowly converting to green tea over coffee. IHerbal teas offer more health benefits. I don't think I'll ever fully give up coffee but I'm making green tea my new "go to". Especially at night....love my sleepy time tea!

I can't do green tea. I simply cannot stand the taste. I just do decaf coffee and other forms of herbal and decaf teas. No caffeine for me!

I tried to give up coffee... It was a no go. I cannot drink coffee all day, but that first cup in the morning - nirvana in a cup (especially if it is cold outside).

I went from having coffee every day to just having it on weekends. During the week I drink green tea in the mornings. I've heard that peppermint helps with headaches, so I drink strong peppermint in the afternoons. I never really had any withdrawal symptoms (other then being a bit more sluggish for a couple weeks), I guess due to the peppermint.

Different brands of green teas definitely have different tastes. I like GoodEarth green teas but I find a lot of other common brands taste like twigs and dirt. Yogi has a great blueberry green tea.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.