Who here owns a good treadmill or treadclimber?

dmd

Cathlete
Hello!

Okay, I'm ready to purchase a good treadmill. What brand treadmill have you had good luck with? I am looking for one that has the ability to change inclines to simulate hills, one that wouldn't need to be repair often, and not more than $2000. deb:)

Hi Deb,

I have a Smooth treadmill and have enjoyed it for the last 4 years. Their treadmills come with a 10yr warranty on their motors. The one I have is the 9.1 model (but their models have changed over the years). Mines is most equivalent to the 7.1 or 9.15HR that is currently on their site.

I am a fairly serious runner (30 miles per week) and it has worked well for me. Best of luck in your search.

http://www.smoothfitness.com/products/models_treadmills.htm
;-)

Hi Courtney,

Thanks for your input! One more question: How is the incline levels with your Smooth treadmill? Is is loud? Have you had any trouble with it? TIA~deb:)

We bought a TRUE treadmill two years ago. It is cushy, quiet and goes up to a 14% incline. It has a lifetime warranty. I highly recommend that brand.

Hey Deb, www.consumerreports.org has a great article and reviews of treadmills and elipticals. Check it out. If you have to use a password to actually get to the article, than email me. Some articles are free and some are to subscribers only. The one I am reading is for January 2005, though there is another for 2004.

I don't have a recommendation for a good treadmill, but I can tell you one to stay away from: Keys! I spent $1200 on a Keys 4700. Within the first year, it had to be serviced at least four times, and finally was replaced. The second treadmill had the exact same problems: belt slipping, bearings went out in the front roller, computer issues, etc. My DH managed to fix the problem with the roller (he thinks there's a design flaw), but it still has computer problems. Nothing like jogging along at a nice clip when the treadmill just STOPS. . .

I don't know what the price range is, but Cybex is gym quality-- I think that's what my husband uses at the clinic where he works.

Good luck!
L

I bought a Trimline T350HR1 a couple of years ago. It was around $1500. It goes up to a 12% incline, has a 30 year warranty on the motor, has 6 pre-set programs (but it lets you adjust the speed, incline, or time you want to spend) 2 programs you can set and keep as personal favorites, plus 2 workouts that emphasize cardio (80% MHR) or weightloss (65% MHR) that you can use with the accompanying Heart Rate Monitor (you wear around your chest).

It is pretty quiet and smooth. We lube the belt about every 6-8 weeks and it has never given us any trouble.

It is the some of the best money I have ever spent - other than the Cathe videos of course. ;)

Thank you so much for this info on the Trimline! We are still in the hunt for a treadmill...space and money is an issue. Thanks too to Dani for the Consumer Report option. deb:)

I can't give you a recommendation what I can tell you what to stay away from too....ProForm. I have had two and both broke within a year of purchase. The incline broke and I was only able to do a level walk on the first treadmill and a level walk on my current treadmill. The calorie gauge is way off too. I have worn my HRM several times and the calorie counter on the treadmill says I am burning 3x more calories than I actually am burning. Good luck.

Cathy,

I'm sorry you've had such rotten luck with Proform. I have to put in a good plug for Proform though, because my trusty Proform has performed flawlessly for about 6 years now!

It isn't a high dollar treadmill, so I feel especially lucky that mine has been such a good one. I paid $599. I've never had a minutes trouble and I run 3+ miles on it every single day, with DS adding a few more miles every other day.

For the money, it's been a gem! :D

I too own a Proform. I have had no trouble with mine in the 2 years I have owned it. The only gripe I have is that the heart rate monitor never seems to want to register. I figure that is user error. It has been a great treadmill for the money.

Ari

HI Cathe and Jeanne,

Wow, interesting how the Proform can deliver two such different results. I did read on Consumer Reports that Proform was one of the companies to stray from...I'm sure model would have something to do with that too. Jeanne, it's good to know that one doesn't have to mortgage their home to afford a peice of exercise equiptment;-), I hope I am as lucky as you have been. deb

Hi LoriAnn,

Thanks so much for this reference...I never thought to check with Runners World! Great idea. Thanks for thinking of me...I realllllly appreciate it. deb:)

I have to say the same. My first I ony paid $399 on sale. I was a 5-6 day a week runner. No problems, ever. Then I got into weights seriously, had a gym membership & sold it. My next Proform I bought about 2 years ago from Sears & no problems. But I also bought the extended warranty on recommendation from a friend that also did the same. She's had hers about 10 years now.

As far as the calorie burn total, you just can't count on those either. I mean, the treadmills at the gym are also off.

Marla

I have a Reebok that I got online at www.iconfitness.com I have bought several big fitness products from them and have always been very happy!

I LOVE our treadmill. It is better than some at the gym. I think I paid approx $1300 for it.

Plus, IconFitness use to let you do several payments to pay it off. I also got free shipping.

Definitely worth checking into. When I bought mine I went to the local sporting good stores and tried it out and then bought it online.

Good luck!

>We bought a TRUE treadmill two years ago. It is cushy, quiet
>and goes up to a 14% incline. It has a lifetime warranty. I
>highly recommend that brand.
>

We also have the TRUE, but have had some problems with it. The guy came out and had to replace the motor and something board (I forgot the name). He did say though that he had never seen that much mileage on a home treadmill. We didn't have to pay for any of the parts just the labor, and that wasn't that bad.

Do you have the wax stick to use on the treadmill? He said that we had to use that to keep it lubricated. We've been bad about using that, however.

I'm thinking we need to buy a treadmill like the health club has if ours is ever unrepairable.

Dallas

I am looking for a treadmill, too BUT I need one which is whisper quiet - if it's noisy, I wouldn't use it. Any suggestions?

I bought a spin bike several years ago and the only sound it makes is comparable to the noise a fan makes - very quiet.

I own a Precor 933. I love it! I use it for interval training runs and when I am in a pinch for cardio (morning) - do a quick run. It is programmable to emulate terrain outside (up and down hills). It is quiet too! If you can invest...This is well worth it! especially if you run marathons, etc. Cost = $4,000.

Thanks for the website...you are the shero of the minute!!:) Just wondered which model Reebock you own? Do they still carry it? Thanks again~deb:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.