Which Lauren Brook DVD to start with?

Ann Reynolds

Hi everyone,

Recently I posted a thread for advice on Kettlebells and I received some brilliant advice and information and had a great response.

I would like to now ask all you experts which Lauren Brook Kettlebell DVD to opt for, for a complete beginner.

I am sorely tempted to get her new DVD The Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells DVD Volume 2, the reason for this being that it took a lot of persuading for my husband to finally agree to get me one, so i'm hoping that by geting Volume 2 rather than Volumn 1, i will not need to get another one for sometime.

So the question being would Lauren's Volumn 2 give enough instructural information for a beginner.

And can I ask what weight of Kettlebell to start with, my nearest store has
5lb, 10lb, 20lb & 30lb Kettlebells, can you also advice on how many kettlebells to buy and what weight for each.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

I'd recommend starting with Volume 1. It's got excellent instruction and two great workouts: one is 12 minutes and the other is 40 minutes.

When I started using kettlebells, I was worried about starting with something too basic that wouldn't give me a good workout. I mean, I want to learn the right technique, but I also NEED to be challenged. I found that Lauren's first DVD really delivered - the moves are pretty basic, but you get a GREAT workout, pretty much right from the start. Plus, once you've got it down, you can make it more challenging by using heavier kettlebells or by pushing for more speed. I just did the 40-minute w/o this morning and I still love it. When I have plenty of time, I do the 12-minute and the 40-minute back-to-back.

I have Volume 2 as well, and I can honestly tell you that I COULD NOT have done these workouts safely as a kettlebell beginner. I'm sure any advanced exerciser could handle the intensity, but the techniques rely on a familiarity with kettlebells that takes a little time to develop.

Volume 1 is totally awesome. It has great instruction and two really good workouts that will serve you well for years to come if you like kettlebells. It's versatile enough for beginner, intermediate, and advanced exercisers. Volume 2 has instruction, but in general the moves are a little more advanced. I have had Volume 1 for two years and I still like it. A lot. A LOT.

For a beginner, the general recommendation for women is to start with an 8kg (about 18 pound) kettlebell. You only need one to start with. If you've been doing a lot of strength training and you're super-storng, start a little heavier- around 25 pounds or so. If you're not already lifting a lot, maybe 15 pounds would be a better choice.

Hi Afreet,

Thanks for your response and reply, it has been very helpful.

It makes sense to go with Volumn 1 before Volumn 2, and it's good to know that you are still enjoying Volumn 1 after two years, it proves it must be a good workout.

Thanks also for the advice on Kettlebell weights, I generally don't lift alot, so I definitely think the 15lb weight would suit best as you suggested, but the detemination to get into kettlebells is definitely there.

Many thanks for your response and advice.

Thanks

I'd recommend starting with Volume 1. It's got excellent instruction and two great workouts: one is 12 minutes and the other is 40 minutes.

When I started using kettlebells, I was worried about starting with something too basic that wouldn't give me a good workout. I mean, I want to learn the right technique, but I also NEED to be challenged. I found that Lauren's first DVD really delivered - the moves are pretty basic, but you get a GREAT workout, pretty much right from the start. Plus, once you've got it down, you can make it more challenging by using heavier kettlebells or by pushing for more speed. I just did the 40-minute w/o this morning and I still love it. When I have plenty of time, I do the 12-minute and the 40-minute back-to-back.

I have Volume 2 as well, and I can honestly tell you that I COULD NOT have done these workouts safely as a kettlebell beginner. I'm sure any advanced exerciser could handle the intensity, but the techniques rely on a familiarity with kettlebells that takes a little time to develop.

Volume 1 is totally awesome. It has great instruction and two really good workouts that will serve you well for years to come if you like kettlebells. It's versatile enough for beginner, intermediate, and advanced exercisers. Volume 2 has instruction, but in general the moves are a little more advanced. I have had Volume 1 for two years and I still like it. A lot. A LOT.

For a beginner, the general recommendation for women is to start with an 8kg (about 18 pound) kettlebell. You only need one to start with. If you've been doing a lot of strength training and you're super-storng, start a little heavier- around 25 pounds or so. If you're not already lifting a lot, maybe 15 pounds would be a better choice.

What she said!;) I agree with EVERYTHING! I would never have been able to do Volume 2 without first getting Volume 1 under my belt. I still love Volume 1, and I think it compliments Volume 2 very well. Volume 1 seems more cardio-based, and Volume 2 more strength-based. But they both work you. Also, by the time you get really good at Volume 1, you might have enough $$$ saved for Volume 2.:p

I started with a 15# Kettlebell, because I could get one on sale at Target. I probably could have started with a 20#, as I didn't use my 15# at all after I learned the workout. I moved from a 20# to a 25# quickly. Since KBs are so expensive, I would start with a 20 or 25 if you think you are able. It's hard to say, because you want to learn the moves safely and correctly. But you do work up fast, and money is tight! I am glad I have that 15# for learning the moves on Volume 2. Plus, my 12-year-old daughter likes to do the workout sometimes, and she uses the 15#.

HTH,

I was just thinking about a few threads from a while back in which several people mentioned they had purchased KBs at Target and were able to return them if they needed to go heavier/lighter.

I know Target has an easygoing return policy (mostly) - so if you purchased your KB there, and you found after a couple weeks you could go heavier/lighter...maybe you could go swap it out?

I was surprised to find I could manage the 8kg/18 pounds. I had a hard time doing shoulder presses at first, but it was easy enough to just do fewer shoulder presses until I built up the strength. I guess since you use lower body, core, hips and upper body all together for most of the exercises, you can move a little more weight than you think.

But I am actually thinking of buying a 15 pounder for learning purposes and for Turkish Get-Ups, which just destroy me.

Thanks to both Elsie3 & Afreet for your insight, once again.

I've just only checked out Ontheedgefitness.com and Laurens Volumn 1 Reviews, they are by far excellent reviews.

Luckily enough I think I may be able to return my kettlebell if I do decide it is too light/heavy.

Many thanks to you both

Yes, start with Vol. 1. You'll love this DVD. Vol. 2 is more challenging in that it has more advance KB moves like the TGU, windmills, overhead squats, things like that.

I started with a 20# gofit KB. It has served me very well. I did get a 25# one for Xmas and mostly use it for swings. Swings with the 20#er are still good, more of a cardio effect since I can swing it for longer.

A lot of times I sub swings in ANY workout where I don't want to do whatever "blast" is being done. Yesterday, for example, I did LowMax. Some of those blast I find boring, particularly #3 I think it is, so I just did swings. Also, I normally sub swings where the impact is too high for me.

When i do TGU's and other difficult moves, I'll sometimes grab a dumbbell. I have a 15# KB, but it's not a good one and I don't like it. I think it's okay to build your strength this way. I think Lauren might say something like this or I may be hallucinating. She does say to start without any weight to learn the move.

KB's are fun. I resisted for a long time, but now I'm glad I have a few bells and DVD's. Great change of pace. Oh, and don't forget that Lauren has a few youtube workouts. I think you can access these from her blog/website.

Like everyone else has said, I'd start with Volume 1 but no worries. It will keep you challenged. I don't have volume 2 yet, but from what I read it is for those who have mastered Volume 1 and/or are ready to take their KB training up a notch. Lauren is a great instructor and both the 40 min. and 12 min. workout on Vol. 1 still kick my butt!

Thanks to all of you for your replies, it is very much appreciated.

I know once I receive Lauren's DVD I will definitely put all the work and effort into getting the moves/form right.

What motivates me already is that Lauren has had a baby/ies not too sure how many, and she looks brilliant.

I need to tighten up my abs/tummy area after having my son 20 months ago, so I think I may have found the perfect exercise to do this.

So thanks once again for your replies, it is nice to hear them from experienced kettlebell users.

Many thanks

No worries Afreet, and thanks again for your helpful advice.

Can't wait until it arrives, now the next stage is to let my hubby know I have to get a kettlebell, that may be harder than doing the actual dvd. :confused:

Thanks again for all your help.

I have both Vol 1 and Vol 2 and Vol 2 is definitely more advanced than Vol 1. It's still doable, but I would start with Vol 1 first and make sure you feel comfortable with it. I now rotate between the two of them, but I think I would have been scared to start with Vol 2 first LOL.

She has excellent tutorials on both--I highly recommend watching (and doing) the moves carefully. I didn't know I had been doing the snatch incorrectly till I finally watched her tutorial.

Okay, you all have me very intrigued...I have a question for you all though - where do you recommend purchasing her dvd? Thanks in advance for your help and for all of the posts so far!

Hi Macbeanur,

I will be buying Lauren's DVD from Ontheedgefitness.com, advancedworkouts.com also sell it as well, if you go into Search by Workout type it has a section for kettlebells.

There may be more suggestions from the more experienced kettlebell (ers).

Hope this helps.

I bought the dowloadable version of Vol 1 on her website and burned my own DVD. It's less expensive.

So far I did 1 week straight of the 12 minute workout to become comfortable with the moves. The first day I was dying. Now it's not that bad.

Yesterday I did the first 20m of the 40m workout. Much harder! but...Working my way up.

I'm totally in love with this type of cardio/strength workout. No jumping! My hear rate is soaring. Lauren is a great instructor!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.