Which do you suggest, strength or endurance workouts for this problem?

ashleyann

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

First I'd like to say I am having fun with the newest workouts you made. I love Lower Body Blast and STS Total Body but I was intimidated by High Reps and Intensity. I forced myself to do them this week and I survived fine and really enjoyed them. I really like the bootcamp add-on to the Intensity workout.

Anyways, I am trying to get my legs leaner. I wanted to do your latest Rock Bottoms Rotation but I have a toddler so I really need to be able to get the job done in an hour a day. I have a layer of fat on my legs that really shows up in the area above the knees. I am starting to do walking lunges in addition to 2 of your leg workouts per week. I also do cardio and upper body weights on the other days. My question is, in order to shape the front of my thighs (it's weird, the back of my legs looks great), should I focus on your strength workouts like Pyramid Lower Body, STS Meso #2 Legs, and Gym Style Legs or should I do more of your endurance workouts such as Lower Body Blast, Butts and Guts, and STS Meso #1?

Thanks, Cathe for all you do. I appreciate your enthusiasm for fitness and your motivation.

Ashley

Last edited:
Ashley:

Cathe is always telling us to shock our bodies, to keep changing things up. Change comes when the body cannot predict what is coming next, exercise wise, so it never acclimatizes. When the body gets efficient at doing a certain exercise type or routine, it will eventually complete that routine using up less calories/energy/fat stores to get the job done.

So it seems logical to keep the body guessing so it will let go of those fat stores and allow them to be used for energy by the muscles.

Rather than thinking that there must be just one way to improve this part of your body, take a multi-pronged approach. Do endurance type lifting for 3 weeks, with your cardio, then swap to heavy weights lifting. Following that, switch to largely circuit type workouts.

Use the same approach with your cardio workouts. Don't do the same workout twice in one week. One step, one plyo, one kickbox, one walk or run, etc. Use some as steady state cardio and others as HiiT or interval training.

Good luck,

Clare

Hey, Clare, that's some good stuff you just suggested.

Cathe also recommends getting plenty of water, rest and good food. All three are essential to the great rotations working to improve over fitness and health.

Good luck

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.