Where Am I Going Wrong ????????????

Bernard

Cathlete
Hi All,

I stick to my exercise every week, I try and eat as clean as possible, yet I am not losing weight ? What is wrong with me ????????????????????????????????? I would really appreciate some words of advice, please ?

Many thanks

Anna

Do not despair, firstly there could be a few reasons I notice my body takes a while before it adjusts I lost 10lbs then my weight went up again so that I only lost 6lbs.

1. Do a food journal for a week and not down what you are eating and when.

2. There is also the dreaded TOTM

3. Measure yourself you may not be losing pounds but you could be losing inches.

You can try WW the UK site I think now allows you to be an online WW member otherwise they the US site which does its around $7 and lets you join even if you are outside the US.

Just some suggestions but don't despair I eat when I get depressed about my weight but I try to eat things like fruit veg.

Babs

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-02 AT 06:55AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Anna,

I know how frustrating it can be when you feel like you are doing everything right but aren't getting the results you want. I've been reading recently that sometimes there is an initial stall in weight loss when people begin serious weight training so hang in there.

Weight loss sometimes seems like a magic formula. A rude doctor told me once when I asked for suggestions on weight loss; "It's not rocket science: calories in have to be less than calories burned." I'm no expert but it doesn't seem to be that simple and I have a couple of tips that worked for me.

Try to get in the habit of writing down everything you put in your mouth for a week. This will allow you to analyze where you might want to make changes in your diet. For me, this allowed me to added up all those BLTs (Bites, Licks and Tastes) that never seemed to register as having calories in my brain. I also added more fruits and veggies and calories during the day so I wouldn't fly by snack at night (well not as much :)).

Doing Cathe boots your calorie requirements. Also journal your workouts so you can just how many calories you are burning during the day and adjust your diet accordingly. Make sure you are eating enough or your body may think you are in starvation mode and hold on to the weight. I was HUNGRY all the time when I first started doing Cathe and the scale wasn't budging. I started adding a little bit protein at each meal and making sure I had a bit of "good" fats during the week. I like to have Kashi Go Lean Crunch(has soy protein) or Oatmeal with a tablespoon or two of peanut butter for breakfast.

Also, drink lots of water and watch your sodium/caffeine [diet sodas, prepared foods, etc]

Then, some weeks even after doing all this the scale goes up anyway! Persistence usually pays off though.

Hope this helps...

Sharon

*edited for typos*

RE: By overemphasizing the scale's importance

Hi, Anna! I'd like to expand on a point that Starbuck made: I believe scale weight is greatly overemphasized in a fitness / healthy eating program, and I'll bet that what you're actually experiencing is a loss of adipose tissue but a GAIN in badly needed lean muscle mass through your strength training program, and that is not going to be reflected when you weigh yourself. In fact, that is why I never weigh myself: the number can fluctuate throughout the day, week, and month, and does not distinguish between blood and bone, fat and muscle, water and waste.

I too believe that you can tell a great deal more about positive body composition changes by seeing how your clothes fit differently; even more importantly, monitor your resting heart rate every six months or so, monitor how well you are sleeping and how energetic you feel during waking hours, and monitor your strength and cardiovascular endurance gains (able to go at a higher cardio intensity level; able to recover more quickly during recovery intervals of the workout bout and after the workout).

I agree with the others that it may help to journalize your food intake for a couple of weeks or so (people are notorious for underestimating the amount of calories consumed) but ALSO keep a journal of all of your workouts, logging in the minutes, the modes, and the performance levels. Then look at all of that, and make doable changes to reach your goals.

Hope this helps -

Annette Q. Aquajock

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-02 AT 09:48AM (Est)[/font][p]Hello Anna,

You may be doing exercise every day but are you exerting yourself to your maximum? I remember when I first started with Reebok' The Power Workout and The Step, Karen Voight's Energy Sprint, I thought I was working out really hard but in reality and compare to how intense I can exercise now I understand why I wasn't losing weight with those tapes. It wasn't until I started with Cathe and MIS and lifting heavier weights that I can feel my body getting stronger and burning calories. Then I started running and I found that the step was really sissy: I go running with the runners at my club and they push me to work to my maximum heart rate and I really feel the burn.

I think you should start lifting heavy weights and concerntrate on the more intensity driven workouts, like MIC, IMAX, BodyMax and work work work, until you can do all of them without pausing, then you really will be burning fat and know what it is to be truly fit.

Yen

Do not bum yourself out over this. It is not worth it.
Lots of good advice here, but let me just add a little
experience I had last night.

My scale weight is a little heavier than usual since my vacation a couple of weeks ago. (I ate a lot, but exercised every day on vacation, and got a lot of walking in). Now I'm not ripped up about it, because I know that my clothes still fit the same, my diet is mostly clean and healthy, and my exercise has not changed. Well, last night, I was doing a tape that I used to have to modify some of the leg-work parts (this is a video I did pre-Cathe). I did this vid last night and realized that not only could I do all of the 'hard' modifications, but that I was pretty comfortable doing them. They were pretty easy. And it takes my body a long time to build up strength, especially lower body.

So basically what I am saying is, when it comes to just the scale, take it with a very small grain of salt, for your sanity. As for other stuff, nutrition journal, that is a great idea to see if you are on track. But do not let the scale run or ruin your efforts. That's not why you're at the party.
:)
Kathy

Sissy?!?

Hi Yen - Do you really feel that "the step is really sissy?" I'm trying not to take offense at that so I'm just telling you now that I strongly and but respectfully disagree. I really get an amazing workout on the step (and I KNOW I'm not the only one), especially with Cathe. And let me tell you, I'm no sissy! Maybe you didn't mean it the way it sounded... but I just thought I'd step in with my 2 cents for step lovers around the world.

;-)

RE: Sissy?!?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-02 AT 11:24AM (Est)[/font][p]I meant the step tapes I was using: Energy Sprint, Reeboks. And by sissy I don't mean that they are girly, I mean they are not challenging. They were child's play in terms of getting me to work out really hard. They didn't give me the energy burn that I get now with running. Although when I first started out on them, I thought they were tough! Funny how you progress.

I love Cathe's, although the intensity is not as tough as when I run with other runners, but choreography is very challenging: makes me feel proud as though I am doing something no one else can. I would never give up stepping with Cathe.

Yen

RE: Sissy?!?

I understand what you mean now. And I agree with you that other things are just not as intense for me as they once were. I've even noticed improvements in how I do Cathe's cardio workouts since I've started seriously weight training with her. I have Energy Sprint as well, but I got it after getting into Cathe, so I've done it once and shelved it because it just doesn't give me that feeling that I've REALLY worked myself!

RE: THANKS EVERYONE .........

for your input, I am going to study my food journal a bit harder and see where I can improve. It is so frustrating though, I wonder if I eat too many calories per day, and I am just maintaining my weight ?
Anyway, because I can't attend our local WW's class, I have spoken to my local Rosemary Conley lady (Rosemary Conley classes teach you to eat lo fat & hi fibre, the rule is, is not to eat more than 4g fat per 100g of food, and to count calories, and exercise !!!! Which is something WW's/Slimming World don't advocate) and she is going to drop off Rosemary Conley's starter pack for me at my home next Monday night, so that will hopefully set me off on to the right track. Well, it is a start, isn't it ? it is probably better than fumbling along like I am at the moment. The Rosemary Conley lady has a class every Monday night, which includes a weigh in, chat and an exercise class, but because I can't drive and the Village Hall is too far to walk in the dark, I figure doing it at home, with the support of all my cyber-friends, and Cathe's workouts will be a good thing :)

Thanks everyone once again, I will keep you updated as to how my lower calorie eating plan is.

Anna

RE: Plateau

Perhaps you have simply reached a plateau with the exercise plan you are on- the more you do a particular routine, the more efficiently you burn calories as you get better, and can actually burn less over time with the same workout.
In addition to all the great advice from others more learned than I, I would suggest you try something new, or up your intensity on cardio days, if you can.
You'll figure it out! Don't be discouraged!

Anna,

HOW LONG have you been doing this?? I was under the impression you were a begginner with Cathe. Annette really has wonderful advice. Not to sound mean here, but if I was as concerned about my weight loss as some on this forum, I would have shot myself in the head by now.:)LOL!! 1 year ago I weighed in at 135. I am now 137-140!! While I have made very slow changes, I have made changes. Strength is great(OK, I would still really love to do man pushups), body fat is lower and LBM is higher. BUT how horrible my numbers look right?? To me, the slower it happens, the better. That way you lose less muscle. Also, I concentrate now on workout intensity and stamina. Building muscle and adding strength are #1 priorities. I have started to take creatine which claims it can add alot of body weight, some in H2O some in muscle weight, but I could care less if I topped out at 150, as long as my body fat drops and my performance improves.

If you do not have a weight problem, I would say try to focus less on the scale. ESPECIALLY if you are just starting out!!!

Good Luck!!

Janice

Anna,
I had worked out for a long time with heavy weights and lots of cardio. I started Cathe's videos a year ago this month. I got stronger, but didn't see any weight loss. I THOUGHT I ate pretty darn healthy. I started weight watchers in March of last year, and found out I was eating way too much food. I've lost 21 lbs and now am on my 5th week of maintenance at my goal weight. I feel great, I am wearing size 6/7 instead of 11/12. I am more confident in myself. Being accountable to the food journal and weighing in each week, along with the support of all my friends at ww has helped me to succeed. It might work for you, it might not. It's worth trying. If you stick to it, there is no way you will not lose and look better. I've gotten 10 people who work in ICU/CCU with me to join ww and several are already in maintenance, and others are on their way. I always thought I ate so well....and I always worked out, truly! Until I really kept track of every thing I put in my mouth did I realize how important it was. I eat so much healthier now!!! It's astonishing! My cholesterol also went from 230 to 155! That alone is worth it! I'm 38 with 4 teenagers.
Good luck, and don't give up! You will find the right combo for yourself! In the meantime, imagine where you would be if you weren't working out?
Lynn

RE: Hi Janice

I have been doing Cathe for about 5 weeks now (4-5 times a week), and I walk up and downhill Monday to Fiday when doing the school run and I just wondered why I haven't seen some difference in my weight ? I do have fat/weight to lose, about 42 pounds in total, I weigh 180 pounds at the moment. I hate being like this, because not seeing a shift in the scales, sends me in to a state of misery. Although I have seen a difference in parts of my body, my tummy seems flatter, and my arms more toned, and my legs are stronger (they don't hurt when I walk up stairs now), but I still feel as fat as ever.
So, I can only conclude that I must be eating too many calories ?
Like Lynn (Fit Nurse) said WW made such a difference to the eating side of it, then hopefully by following a similar plan (starting next Monday), it will hopefully teach me where I am going wrong ?
Wish Me Luck !

Anna :)

I must jump on the bandwagon and agree that you must track your food intake in great detail. It's the old "calories in, calories out deal." Not rocket science, just getting real and being honest with yourself.

We don't want you to throw up your hands and give up, just give it a try. I hope this new plan you found will do the trick.

Just Do It! :)

You what you can do?

Why don't you give me a list of what you ate yesterday or in a typical day? And what exercise you did last week? Let's see if I can help you. I started with Cathe in June and I have not done serious weigh lifting like that before and even now I am still gaining strength. I have not really modified my diet, but I have know I have lost some weight. I think the workouts that works best is MIS, PH, BODYMAX, MIC, IMAX, CIRCUIT MAX - I know for a fact that after MIS I am slimmer, but I have to lift to my maximum and that is lifting almost as heavy as Cathe. The way I did it was starting at the heaviest I can lift and not do entire reps as she does. The the next time I find that I can do more reps and so on and so. Most people start off with the lightest weights and work up, which I (IMHO) find takes longer to lose weight.

Let's see where I can help you, see if I can make what you eat a little healthier and what I can do with the tapes that you have.

Yen

Thanks Yen,

This is what I ate yesterday:

BREAKFAST: 3 pieces of toast, with a tiny scraping of LOW FAT spread, and Marmite.
1 cup of decaff tea, with skimmed milk

MID MORNING: 3 squares of milk chocolate

DINNER:
1 Banana
3 slices of bread (no butter or margarine or low fat spread), chopped up mixed salad, with 1 tablespoon of Waistline Thousand Island Dressing (20 calories, 1.0g fat per level tablespoon)
1 cup of decaff tea with skimmed milk

TEA:
Quorn Bolognese with pasta tubes (no added oil in bolognese, made with peppers and mushrooms)
1 low fat fruit yoghurt
2 cans of diet coke
3 cups of decaff tea with skimmed milk (throughout the evening)
3 pints of water with Wedding video step part

I know it is not the exercise part, I am sure it is the diet side.
Last week for exercise,
I did:

Sunday Mega Step Blast
Monday Keli Roberts Ultimate Step
Tuesday Previewed my new Cathe vids
Wednesday Circuit max
Thursday Wedding Video Strength part
Friday Wedding video step part
Saturday Rest
Sunday IMAX

Let me know what you think Yen

Anna :)

Well, for a start it's rather low in protein and the exericse protion is too much cardio and not intensive enough. I know you are a vegetarian, but do you eat fish or eggs?

You could change a few things.
Breakfast (choose one)
Cereal and milk (semi-skimmed tastes so much better) and a banana.
2 eggs boiled or poached and slice of wholemeal or granary bread (no spread - better to have no fat than low fat in my opinion).
Poridge with semi-skimmed milk.

You can have tea, but I don't drink tea or coffee myself, I prefer herbal tea.

Midmorning (if peckish)
Apple or/and yogurt

Lunch
Sandwich made with some quorn slices (or something protein) and
salad.
Or a salad with boiled eggs and some olives and french dressing.
Yogurt or low fat dessert (Marks and Spencer's are nice)
Baked potatoe with baked beans or low fat cheese.
(AT work, I make my own sandwich with low fat cream cheese (Philadephia) and tomatoes and cucumber: I buy fresh granary rolls from the supermarket. I have it with a yogurt and some fruits)

Use whatever protein that you usually eat that you can add to salad.

Dinner
Try to do some of the traditional meals, like a meat and two veg, but adapt it to be vegetarian.
Veg pizza
Veg lasange

You get the idea right?

It's rather difficult as I am not a vegetarian, but I can see that you need more protein. What I have shown you is an example of a healthy diet, not a loose weight diet. For losing weight I prefer to increase my exercises.

I do the more intense exercises from Cathe and I have started running. If you can't get out, then use MIS, PH, BODYMAX, PS, IMAX, MIC, CIRCUIT MAX. I would say do a weight training like MIS & PH 3 times a week. For me, it's like this.

Monday: MIS (Maximum Intensity Strength)
Tuesday: Mega Step Blast
Wednesday: PH (Power Hour)
Thursday: IMAX.
Friday: Circuit Max
Saturday: Rest or if you want another Cathe step like Wedding (you can do the whole tape - that has weights so you are getting 3 weight sessions a week)
Sunday: Rest

I have to exercise indoors all the time like I used to, I would definitely go for the heavy weights workout as that burns calories like crazy.

If you don't have Cathe's other weights workouts, start ordering

Yen

Let me tell you, after MIS I eat like a horse and forget low fat as well - I just grab whatever (BK is my favourite)

If you buy the barbell weight set from Argos, and work up to using as heavy as Cathe. In the tape, they use lbs but to know how many kg she uses I convert it.

I think 1kg = 2.2lbs

So for the leg work where she says she is using 35lbs, that is 15kg.

If you work consistently, you will notice changes in 6 months. You have to give your body time to get used to lifting weights and then the muscles will develop. You have only been exercising regularly for 2 months or so and you are a complete beginner. Once you can lift like Cathe, you will become so lean.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.