When using MyFitnessPal am I supposed to eat the calories I burn when I exercise?

Shannon.H

This has always confused me! My goal is to eat 1300 per day but if I eat the calories I burn then it puts me over 1300. I don't know if that's right!

They say that if you let mfp set it according to h,and w it will already give u a 500 cal deficet and that everyday will lead to a 1 pound weight loss. And if u exercise you can eat them back. Or else the deficet will be to high and cause you to go into starvation mode. So i dont know...i think if u let mfp set it and eat half of exercise caloroes back u should b fine.

I personally believe MFP is great for tracking food, but I would not follow their calorie recommendation. They are very low.
When you cut calories, you want to start a little high so you have wiggle room when you lose weight.. 1300 calories doesn't leave much room to move the calories down. If you go too low, your body will hold on to fat for survival. Your muscle tissue will be the first to go.

Try using this TDEE calculator and go into the MFP under goals to manually set your calories and micros. Micros play a role in weight loss. A good micro number for weight loss & muscle gain is 40/40/20 (Carbs/Protein/ Fat). I've had success with 40/30/30 as well.

IIFYM – If it fits your macros. » TDEE Calculator

Another way to figure calories is to invest in a quality heart rate monitor, and wear it for 24 hours several days to get an idea of your average calorie burn.

Are you entering the calories you burn during your workout into my fitness pal? There should be something you can click on that says track exercise. Once you put your exercise for the day in it will automatically adjust the calories you can eat for the day to reflect this. Mine will normally say around 1300 too, but since I know I will do about a 500 calorie workout I will typically plan to eat around 1800, even if I am not working out until later in the day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.