When shopping for clothes do you consider?

lulu68

Cathlete
Hi,

I remember when I was younger in now 44, when ever I would go shopping for clothes I would by whatever color I liked as long as the clothing looked good. As I got older and everything became more modernize and more focus on what colors look good on your complextion and wish ones don't. I don't shop much but when I do it's extremely fustrating because I have so many things to think about, I small chested 32AA, I'm short, 5ft, i'm short waisted, short legs, athelitic, plus I have to think on what colors are flatering and wish ones aren't. Ugh!!! I wen't shopping for a dress for easter yesterday I was at the mall for 5 1/2 hours and bought nothing! Out of 40 dresses I tried on I only liked 2 maybe 3 dresses and they where all colors that supposely don't flatter someone with warm complextion. When you shop do you shop considering what looks on your complextion or whether the clothing fits good? One of the dresses I tried on was the color torquoise from the loft it was a fit and flare dress, I thought the color looked ok on me. Your thoughts please?!

Lulu

I definitely consider color when shopping. I have pale skin and can't wear soft colors. If it washes me out, I don't buy it. I tend to gravitate to primary colors - black, red, navy, etc. I'm also short and small chested. Large floral patterns look ridiculous on me. I look better in polka dots, stripes and checkered patterns. Ann Taylor Loft is my "go to" store. When they have a sale on what works for me, I buy everything. Their spring collection this year had everything I like - small patterns in bold colors.

Hi,

I remember when I was younger in now 44, when ever I would go shopping for clothes I would by whatever color I liked as long as the clothing looked good. As I got older and everything became more modernize and more focus on what colors look good on your complextion and wish ones don't. I don't shop much but when I do it's extremely fustrating because I have so many things to think about, I small chested 32AA, I'm short, 5ft, i'm short waisted, short legs, athelitic, plus I have to think on what colors are flatering and wish ones aren't. Ugh!!! I wen't shopping for a dress for easter yesterday I was at the mall for 5 1/2 hours and bought nothing! Out of 40 dresses I tried on I only liked 2 maybe 3 dresses and they where all colors that supposely don't flatter someone with warm complextion. When you shop do you shop considering what looks on your complextion or whether the clothing fits good? One of the dresses I tried on was the color torquoise from the loft it was a fit and flare dress, I thought the color looked ok on me. Your thoughts please?!

Lulu

Hi Lulu!
I just received a book for my 51st birthday called "The Wow Factor" by Jaqcui Stafford. I am NOT a fashionista in ANY way (quite challenged, actually), so this book gave me a lot of great advice; mainly, to dress for your shape (your basic shape never changes). My late MIL was the MOST stylish person I have ever met. She loved Coco Chanel's mantra of never wearing more than 2 colors at the same time. She also kept her main wardrobe very classic and used the current trendy accessories for modern flair. Find out what colors and styles work best on you and STICK TO THOSE!!!!! Don't waste time trying on things that go against what you know works! What color do you feel best in? Is there someone you admire with a similar body type whose fashion sense you can emulate (I personally loved the clothes that Jennifer Connelly wore in the movie "A Beautiful Mind")?
According to Jacqui, you are petite and she has several "rules" that may help:
Wear sheer or light hosiery to lengthen legs
Wear clothing specifically designed for petites or try the junior section
Never wear capris ("unless you want to look short and dumpy"...her words, not mine!)
Don't wear skirts that hit mid-calf (again with the dumpy look)
Make sure prints are small (repeating pattern no bigger than the palm of your hand)
Wear tailored jackets that hit at or above the hip, nothing boxy
Don't wear heels that are too high (or you'll look like you're playing "dress-up")

I hope some of this can help. I REALLY HATE shopping and all my friends know it! That's why they gave me this book. I also plan on getting a bunch of fabric swatches to find out what "my colors" are (definitely NOT yellow!!!).;) Let us know if you're able to find that perfect dress!

I agree with most of the rules that Nancy posted, but one I very much disagree with is "shop in the junior section". I know what it's like to be 50 something and have a small figure and try to find age appropriate clothing in smaller sizes. It's a challenge for sure, but trust me, the answer is not junior department shopping.

Junior clothing is styled for young girls and very rarely looks good on a woman our age. Not only that, the quality is much lower. The exception would obviously be if you're shopping for something like a simple tank top. You're much better off going to stores and designers who cater to smaller women.

Some good choices.... BCBGMaxAzria, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor (as mentioned), and Macy's INC line (they have petite sizes).

Regarding the OP's question about color or style...I pay attention to both. I would say the way something fits is the most important criteria, but a close second is the color or pattern.

And I have to agree with Nancy's rule that says never wear capris. I don't own a single pair (other than a pair for running outside in the cold). They really don't flatter anybody in my opinion. I know a lot of women wear them, so I don't mean to offend anyone. It's just my own sense of what looks good. They chop off your legs right in the middle. How is that a good look? Not gonna catch me in a pair! ;)

All that said, I think everybody should buy and wear what makes them comfortable. It's going to be different from one woman to the next. What I've said above is just my own take on what works for me! :)

Lulu:

go to bodenusa.com and you will find millions of dresses in all styles, colours, cool fabrics, patterns and designs. There will also be multiple reviews to help guide you in your choice, they currently have 20% off and free ship and returns and they are one of the best online shopping experiences ever.

PM me your email address and I'll forward you the email I received with the special offer, OK?

And I'm with JeanneMarie: I am 5' 8" with long legs and I wear long and lean jeans with 3" heeled booties. No capris here either: ugh!

Clare

Lulu,
I know exactly what you're going through! I'm barely 5' tall, live in a rural area an hour away from a decent sized city, and can also spend many many hours shopping for a dress unsuccessfully. My first priority is the fit. A close second is the color. I know my best colors (black, white, red, deep pink, cool blues), but sometimes I will go with something with a hint of warm like dark brown, or reddish orange, or medium (not pale) peachy/coral/orange with pink tones. So while I will cross the line into warm a little (or maybe these are more neutral colors?), the only pale colors I will wear are white and blue. When in doubt, I ask my 23-yo daughter for her opinion.

If you think the turquoise looks good and you like the color, I'd say go for it. At least take it home and see it in natural lighting. Personally I never thought I'd ever wear anything orangey but those colors I mentioned before works for me and I like them.

As far as capris, I will wear them as long as they don't go much past the bottom of my knees and are somewhat fitted. The junior sizes are better for me for these and the longer shorts. Is there such a thing as shorts for petites? Shorts are another item that I cannot find a flattering fit for (I have issues with my upper thighs). Do you all mostly wear shorts in warmer weather?

JeanneMarie and Clare - I will definitely be looking up the stores you mentioned. Thanks!

Nanbo - "A Beautiful Mind" is my favorite movie!!!

Hi Lulu!
I just received a book for my 51st birthday called "The Wow Factor" by Jaqcui Stafford. I am NOT a fashionista in ANY way (quite challenged, actually), so this book gave me a lot of great advice; mainly, to dress for your shape (your basic shape never changes). My late MIL was the MOST stylish person I have ever met. She loved Coco Chanel's mantra of never wearing more than 2 colors at the same time. She also kept her main wardrobe very classic and used the current trendy accessories for modern flair. Find out what colors and styles work best on you and STICK TO THOSE!!!!! Don't waste time trying on things that go against what you know works! What color do you feel best in? Is there someone you admire with a similar body type whose fashion sense you can emulate (I personally loved the clothes that Jennifer Connelly wore in the movie "A Beautiful Mind")?
According to Jacqui, you are petite and she has several "rules" that may help:
Wear sheer or light hosiery to lengthen legs
Wear clothing specifically designed for petites or try the junior section
Never wear capris ("unless you want to look short and dumpy"...her words, not mine!)
Don't wear skirts that hit mid-calf (again with the dumpy look)
Make sure prints are small (repeating pattern no bigger than the palm of your hand)
Wear tailored jackets that hit at or above the hip, nothing boxy
Don't wear heels that are too high (or you'll look like you're playing "dress-up")

I hope some of this can help. I REALLY HATE shopping and all my friends know it! That's why they gave me this book. I also plan on getting a bunch of fabric swatches to find out what "my colors" are (definitely NOT yellow!!!).;) Let us know if you're able to find that perfect dress!

Hi Nanbo,
Thank you so much, I will definately be getting that book. I also hate shopping! I hate shopping so much that even shopping for bras is fustrating. When I was trying on dresses my bra is so old and loose now tha when I wen't to remove my top my bra would slide of my boobs, finally I got so mad at myself walk by a store that carries undergarmnents, as I was browsing through the store looking very confuse and not sure what to get I finally ask the sales clerk for help and the smallest size they had was 32D. UGH!!!

Lulu:

go to bodenusa.com and you will find millions of dresses in all styles, colours, cool fabrics, patterns and designs. There will also be multiple reviews to help guide you in your choice, they currently have 20% off and free ship and returns and they are one of the best online shopping experiences ever.

PM me your email address and I'll forward you the email I received with the special offer, OK?

And I'm with JeanneMarie: I am 5' 8" with long legs and I wear long and lean jeans with 3" heeled booties. No capris here either: ugh!

Clare

Thanks Clare, I will definately be checking out that website and I will PM you my email adress as soon as I figure out how to do it. Thanks!

Lulu,
I know exactly what you're going through! I'm barely 5' tall, live in a rural area an hour away from a decent sized city, and can also spend many many hours shopping for a dress unsuccessfully. My first priority is the fit. A close second is the color. I know my best colors (black, white, red, deep pink, cool blues), but sometimes I will go with something with a hint of warm like dark brown, or reddish orange, or medium (not pale) peachy/coral/orange with pink tones. So while I will cross the line into warm a little (or maybe these are more neutral colors?), the only pale colors I will wear are white and blue. When in doubt, I ask my 23-yo daughter for her opinion.

If you think the turquoise looks good and you like the color, I'd say go for it. At least take it home and see it in natural lighting. Personally I never thought I'd ever wear anything orangey but those colors I mentioned before works for me and I like them.

As far as capris, I will wear them as long as they don't go much past the bottom of my knees and are somewhat fitted. The junior sizes are better for me for these and the longer shorts. Is there such a thing as shorts for petites? Shorts are another item that I cannot find a flattering fit for (I have issues with my upper thighs). Do you all mostly wear shorts in warmer weather?

JeanneMarie and Clare - I will definitely be looking up the stores you mentioned. Thanks!

Nanbo - "A Beautiful Mind" is my favorite movie!!!

Mary I wear shorts all year round! I will admit I have an easier time finding tops and shorts that flatter me, but when it comes to anything else pants, jeans, blouses, coats, squirts I'm clueless. Another thing that drives me crazy is trying to figure out if the color I'm liking is warm or cool, specially during the spring all ths trends they have florecent colors, brights, althout some are very pretty, and fun I'm not sure if they will look good on a 40+ women. Thank!

Not quite sure what exactly constitutes a capri pant, but I'm 5'1" and a bit under 100 pounds and I find that shorter pants can look good and don't have to truncate my body. The trick is to make sure the legs are definitely slim fit, and at the bottom there should be NO excess fabric. Length is important as well - just above the ankle is really cute. Last, shoes make or break a shorter pant. If you wear a 2-3" heeled gladiator type sandal, you will create an almost unbroken line, especially if the shoe and pant are about the same color.

Lurdes

Not quite sure what exactly constitutes a capri pant, but I'm 5'1" and a bit under 100 pounds and I find that shorter pants can look good and don't have to truncate my body. The trick is to make sure the legs are definitely slim fit, and at the bottom there should be NO excess fabric. Length is important as well - just above the ankle is really cute. Last, shoes make or break a shorter pant. If you wear a 2-3" heeled gladiator type sandal, you will create an almost unbroken line, especially if the shoe and pant are about the same color.

Lurdes

I completely agree with you! It's all about the line, and how it can streamline you or chop you up. The tighter fitting ankle pants you are talking about are not capris in my opinion. I would call those ankle pants. I think of carpis as anything that ends below the knee and maybe 6 inches above the ankle.

I also agree about color and streamlining. One of my favorite pair of winter boots is a blue color that matches my jeans. It's a very different look, but extremely slimming and elongates the leg very nicely. Same principle! :D

Sounds like we're on the same page, Jeanne Marie.

A capri pant is one that's as short as just below the knee? Yikes - unless they're yoga pants, that could not flatter anyone!

One of my favorite shops is All Saints, and their website has lots of great examples of shorter pants styled to look very sleek and slimming.

Lurdes

I was looking at clothing online this morning and came across two examples to illustrate my point about pants that cut you off right in the middle of your shin.

These two styles show what I'm talking about. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the pattern on the black and white pants, look how the line of her legs is so much more flattering than the black pants that are cut off higher.

I assume these ankle pants are what you are talking about, Lurdes?

Also, they don't really call them capris anymore. They are calling them "crops".

570071914_011_normal.jpg

570068871_001_shelf.jpg

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.