When I grow up....

spyrosmom

Cathlete
DH and I were talking the other day, I don't even remember about what, probably a whole lot of nothing as we are prone to do. And I said something like "I don't ever recall saying 'when I grow up, I want to run and step and kickbox and move heavy cast iron crap around the basement' "

Fitness just wasn't a part of my life growing up. Yes, we played outside, and my brother played football w/ their friends, and we all climbed trees and played in the woods and all that kid stuff. But my parents never did anything physical/fitness related. And then when I got older and was "too old" for the tree climbing and poison ivy catching in the woods I didn't do ANYTHING physical, unless you count opening and closing the refrigerator door. I became sedentary like my parents. When I hit my teen years, my dad started golfing once or twice a week, but that was it. No encouragement to get off my booty and get moving.

In fact, I think my father, brothers, sister, and aunts (my mom sadly, is no longer with us) still don't quite know what to do w/ me when I talk about the race I ran, or what I did, or what I signed up for. I get the "congrats" and the "good jobs" and then the subject changes. I think they are still confused that this is me now, and has been for sometime. And I don't plan on changing.

What I hope, though, is that by my son seeing me run, step, kickbox, and move heavy cast iron crap around the basement, is that he will be inspired and keep on moving, after he's grown out of the running around the neighborhood with his friends stage. When it's "too cool" to run and jump and act silly. That by him seeing me active, and his father, too that he will pick up on it. The same way I, unfortunately, picked up on the couch potato bit.

I may have never wanted to do this stuff when I was a kid, and heck, even a young adult, but now I love it. Couldn't live with out it.

So yeah, when I eventually grow up :p I do want to run, step, kickbox, and move heavy crap around, all into my old age.

My, my, my how things change!

Nan

That would be my random post for the day. It may be the ear infection medicine talking. That was one thing I did think I outgrew. dumb.stupid.dumb!!!!

Nan

If this is a medication-induced raving post, then you should have more of these! I related completely to what you wrote! We grew up riding bikes with our parents, going ice skating and sledding in the winter, playing hockey with my brother, climbing trees, hula hooping, etc., etc. We didn't have but 3 channes and UHF on the tv and no internet or video games. It was just what we did! My mom and I rode our bikes to the library every weekend! We read like maniacs and I still got a lot of physical activity! Go figure, right? I still love to read and be active. Even when I was more sedentary, I wanted to do things outside, but didn't want to do them alone. The downfall of having a brother and sister who would play with me!

Now, I'm back at it and if I can be a good influence on one person (since I don't have kids to motivate), then I'm happy!

Good on you for such a great post and being such an inspiration to your son!

Nan,

When I was about 12 my mom started walking an hour a day. No matter what. If she happened to miss a day she would make up the time on the weekend. As I watched her it just became a given that a person should exercise an hour a day. We never talked about fitness or exercise, it just was. As an adult I still feel that everyone should exercise an hour a day. You know those habits we learn as children run deep.

So I do believe that your hope will come true, that your son will just see this as a way of life.

Shayne

This is a great thread!
My mom has always been very athletic and active. Unfortunately, my brother inherited her natural athleticism and I got our dad's,um, lack of it. But I was still an active kid. Luckily, in high school the aerobics craze was taking off, so every night my mom & I worked out to either Jane Fonda or Kathy Smith. Then in college I started fencing, swimming, and doing yoga. Also, I was living in Manhattan, and walking everywhere. Now I teach Pilates and have 2 kids who are either climbing all over the furniture or begging us to take them swimming. My husband is a natural athlete and, luckily, they both got his genes, lol!
(BTW, my mom just had a hip replacement in early May. At her last appointment she nagged her doctor about when she could start playing tennis again. He told her to be patient and give it some time; she is, after all, 72, and needs to heal a little bit, lol!):p

Growing up my mom was like Shayne's and did an hour every day; walking around the neighborhood, hiking the hills behind our house, whatever it happened to be that day, she exercised for an hour each weekday and took the weekends off (but usually we ended up doing something active as a family anyway). It was just another step of taking care of herself. As I grew up and slowly realized it wasn't something EVERYONE did, I was already so used to it that I didn't ever see it as something to "try" to do or "fit in" to my schedule. You just do it. I'm greatful for her example now that's for sure!
Fun thread:)

In my gym class basic excercize drills were a punishment

Great post Nan, to start a good thread.

In my middle and high school gym classes -- way back in the 1960s -- basic excercise drills (pushups, jumping jacks, etc.) were considered a form of puishment if a kid mouthed off to the gym teacher, or did a sports task wrong (did a poorly executed basketball layup) :(. I hope gym classes have evolved since then. Excercize ahould be fun -- and when the aerobics craze started (the 1970s?), things got better.

Nan and others. As a kid I never thought I would be doing pushups as an adult, for fun.
-- Davidj

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.