When did you start solids?

leosky

Hi,

My baby is 5 months and nursing all day, but sleeping at night from 9pm till about 7ish. My doctor said to start solids at 6 months, but she is just so hungry all day long now. My doctor is against cereal and said to go straight to organic veggies and fruit at 6 months. I was wondering to try a little now? Too early? When did you start veggies and fruit.

I think it's recommended b/w 4-6 months? We waited closer to 6-7 months b/c I LOVED nursing & the kids seemed to be doing well.

Hi,

My baby is 5 months and nursing all day, but sleeping at night from 9pm till about 7ish. My doctor said to start solids at 6 months, but she is just so hungry all day long now. My doctor is against cereal and said to go straight to organic veggies and fruit at 6 months. I was wondering to try a little now? Too early? When did you start veggies and fruit.

was he against the baby cereal? b/c my doc said very diluted amount in viola's bottle to help fill her up and she was only a couple months old. my mil said dh was the same way when he was a baby. viola was also about 4 months when i started on the veggies,it was like she couldn't stay full so we tried it and it worked out fine.not sure "when" you are suppose to but i guess every child is different. we were on the WIC program here and they gave a recipe book for making our own too. i wish i still had it to give my sisters. she loved carrots and peas when she was little. can't get her to touch peas or cooked carrots(raw baby carrots she loves). funny how finicky they get when they get older LOL

kassia

I'm curious as to what others have to say, too.

We started Taylor on rice cereal about 2.5 weeks ago (she's 4.5 months). Our pediatrician said to wait until 6 months before adding fruits and veggies, but I've been mixing some in with the rice cereal already bc she is so hungry throughout the day. She sleeps about 12 hrs/night so my milk supply has dried up tremendously and she seems less and less interested in nursing. It's a bit sad to me because I'd fully planned on nursing exclusively for the first 6 months, then continuing in addition to solids until 12 months. It looks like she's setting the schedule though, not me :) She's doing great though and seems to love the variety of food!

Not all babies fit into the textbook timetables...I'd experiment and find what's best for your little one. Good luck!

We waited until our babies were 6 months old because we have a strong family history of allergies.

Erica

I always plan to breastfeed exclusively until 6 months, but it seems that at about five months, the little critters just look at me and smack their lips whilst I eat and I feel compelled to give them some rice cereal. I follow with other stuff fairly soon.

I followed all the recommended time tables with my first child and then got lazy about them.

ETA--I continue nursing until about 18 months on average.

Maggie:)

We fed our first daughter rice cereal at about 5 months and added orange veggies a few weeks later. Then we went to green veggies and then fruits. Luckily for us our daughter eats everything we give her. She is definitely the cleanest eater in the house because I don't give her anything bad for her. She eats like a horse and is a little runt. At 17 months she only weighs 20 pounds. Our second daughter is 3 months old and already weighs in at 12 pounds! She will start cereal at about 5 months too.

Every baby is different. You have to do what works best for you and your baby. We fed DD organic foods but they recommend you don't feed them organic cereals because they are apparently ground on machines that touch nuts which are a huge no-no until kids are 3 year old.

Hi,

Thank you for all of your advice. I have been thinking so much about this so i finally rang my doctor. I am going to hold off on food and just let her nurse as often as she likes (all day long, hee). He said to never use cereal at all and to introduce foods earlier than 6 months can result in diabeties and over weight children??? This is all so confusing.. but i really like my doctor and will follow his advice. He is european and very laid back and natural.

Thank you again, i love to read about all the ways to go about things. Well.. off to nurse for the 6th time today.

baby cereal

my dd is 20 mos old and we started solids at 5.5 months old. when i say we started solids, we gave her 3 spoons of pureed apple. i was just too excited to hold back i think and wanted what i was eating. she didn't actually have a bowl full of anything until closer to 7-8 months. i tried a little of baby led weaning and she would love a cold peach to gnaw on (i would take the skin off). some docs don't like baby rice b/c they consider it to be baby junk food and that you should start off giving the baby food that actually has nutrition in it.

really i just enjoyed nursing her, she was a good weight and she slept well at night. 6 months is really an arbitrary cut off ...i would just do what you feel is right for your family. at 1 year, she was really only having 2 meals a day: breakfast and dinner plus breast feeds. but we did it this way because we felt comfortable with it. you aren't going to condemn your daughter to a lifetime of obesity and diabetes b/c she has food now. nor are you going to give her food allergies. :) everyone has an opinion on these matters and you just have to focus on what you feel is right.

I started cereals about 3 wks ago, Jolene will be 5 months in 9 days.I'll start veggies in the next couple of wks.

Suzette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.