Whats your hobby?

claridge

Cathlete
Now I have a "little" time back in my life, I NEED a hobby.

For a large portion of my life, its been taxi driver for the childrens activities, wife, mother, chef and cleaner for DH and the children, 9-5 office work, Group Exercise instructor at night, my own personal workouts when ever I can - but I have NO hobby!

Is this strange?

DH thinks that any spare time I have now, should be spent putting my feet up, but I would rather "exercise" another part of my brain, even if its only once a week. That would be MY WAY to re-focus and chill out.

What do you do with your spare time (if you have any) FOR YOURSELF?

:)

I do oil and read, although I find it hard to sit to long. I hardly just watch television. I have to be doing something. I used to crochet & knit when sitting but haven't in awhile.
Diane Sue

Hi,
For years I also had no hobby either and I was going crazy. Then I decided that things had to change and I dedicated some time everyday for myself during and after work. I work out with Cathe everyday for 1 hour and half for 6 months out of the year and I take a very tough but relaxing yoga class once a week for 1.5 hours. When I am in Canada not working, for the other 6 months out of the year I joined a gym and workout with my friends anywhere from 2-4 hours everyday. I also make time to read mystery novels, cook healthy meals from oxygen magazine for myself and my husband, get massages once a week (you only live once), take long walks everyday, and I take belly dancing classes once a week. I also love to make soap for myself and to sell to my friends. It has actually been a really fun and rewarding hobby, because everyone who buys some soap just loves it and that perpetuates the hobby (not to mention lifting my self esteem).

I love reading and I have found some good authors. It's hard to do because I have gotten picky as I've grown older. Nelson DeMille is good for modern writing. I like certain authors from the past as well.

My mom paints water colors.

I play the guitar and the five-string banjo. The banjo is awfully fun.

I like to do beading, too. Mostly I make earrings, necklaces and bracelets.

Working 4 days a week and exercising, I have not played the guitar in over a year. But I should grab that banjo tonight. I need to upgrade the banjo since I played my cousin Kevin's banjo. What a banjo that was! It practically played itself!

Did I mention posting on these forums? That's a hobby!...

I read, and crochet somtimes, but we have enough blankets and I don't know how to make anything else, so I don't tend to do that anymore. I'm getting into sewing a little bit, but don't do it very often. I just don't stick with anything very long, because it the sewing machine takes up my kitchen table, so I put it away, and forget, or we have too many blankets. But reading is the best one that I have.

kathy

I agree with Maximus! Exercising IS my hobby.

Luckily, it counteracts my other 2 hobbies: eating and laying on the couch watching TV/DVDs.

Shonie

1) Putting together workout rotations. I tend to spend a lot of time scheduling out my workouts, making sure I balance out my home weight workouts with my gym workouts, and making sure I get the right variety and amount of cardio in, etc.

2) In the non-winter months, gardening is a big hobby of mine.

3) Reading

4) I have to admit, I like to play video games (it's not really a hobby, though).

5) Researching vacation spots, hotels, travel activities, etc.

6) Golf, but not consistently.

7) I was also going to add that working out is a hobby of mine. If I didn't enjoy it so much, I probably wouldn't do it so much. But I guess I'd say that it's really a way of life rather than a hobby.

Shelbygirl

Dogs dogs dogs:

I show in conformation, compete in agility and train for hunting. Hopefully next year or the year after, I'll be training for competition obedience also. 4 dogs keep me quite busy at it!

Colleen

I would have to say that exercise in also a on going hobby and collection ha ha. ;-) I also LOVE to read.

claridge, Are you interested in anything particular? Is there anything you wanted to try out but haven't? Those might be goos places to start in finding out what you would like to do.

My problem is I am interested in too much stuff!! I love to work in my yard and grow roses and tropical plants. I go to a lot of county extension seminars and classes and I listen to gardening programs on the radio and of course read gardening books and magazines. That keeps me interested and excited to do more.

I also love to sew and have taken sewing classes as an adult. I make home decor stuff for my home. I have also taken some really good quilting classes.

I love to read and I love to scrapbook, I go to monthly "crops" where you scapbook all night.

Good luck in your mission to find a new hobbie.

Lori

Reading - I'd do it all day long if I could.

Taking long walks.

I ''collect'' sunrises and sunsets - as author Peg Bracken said, ''They can't possibly be dusted.''

Reading, reading, and reading. Also reading.;-)

My biggest hobby is dogs. Second astronomy/physics/cosmology. They both involve lots of reading, especially the second.

Did I mention reading?:p

Ruth:) :) :)

p.s I agree that working out & all the information that goes with it is sort of a hobby. More of a lifestyle, but the information part is certainly a hobby. It involves reading.:p

Painting!

I've been working out for years, but 5 yrs ago decided i wanted to learn to paint to make gifts. I work part time as a nurse, have two kids, busy as most moms and wives are. But the decorative painting has really been a confidence booster. I have co-workers and family who now want me to paint their walls, mailboxes, etc...

Michaels and AC Moore are my next favorite places to VF and Cathe.com LOL.

Hi everyone

Glad to see, most of you have a life outside your partners, children or your 9-5 commitments.

The trouble is I DONT KNOW what I would like to do. I surpose Im a little worried I will waste money on activities that I will absolutly hate!

I DO KNOW it has to be outside the home or I will be very tempted to clean house instead, and it cant be exercise/sport related. Im obsessed enough with that already.

I dont play a musical instrument of any sort, and have no dog, and I never passed ANY Art Class at school - so theres no talent there!

God!! I never realised how boring I sound compared to you guys!

:)

My favorite hobbies are Cross stitching and crochet, I also love breeding Pomeranians and hope to one day take one to the dog shows!

1. Sports! Hockey is my fave' (of course I have a high school hockey player and a younger player too!) The NHL needs to settle their differences so they can have a season. Go Sabres!
2. Tennis (year round) it can be additcting!
4. Golf in warmer months
5. reading I noticed another poster liked Nelsen Demille. I find him interesting. So it Catherine Coulter and Patricia Cromwell ( or is it Cornwell?)

Hi claridge,

If you're looking to try something different, but don't want to make a committment, I would suggest enrolling in a workshop or class for something that you think you might be interested in.

I work at a state college and some instructors will allow students to audit classes for free - meaning you can attend the classes and participate, but you don't get any grade or credit. I did this with a martial arts class.

Just a thought...HTH.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.