What's your favorite workout song?

LauraMax

Cathlete
This is NOT a "what's on your mp3 player" thread. You must pick one song (OK, 3 maximum if you can't decide).

For me Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive. That song just empowers me!

Second & third, I guess I'd have to go w/the Sweet's Ballroom Blitz & Greased Lighting from the soundtrack.

OMG I am so old. :p

Bang a Gong by Power Station

Gonna Fly Now Theme from Rocky

Born to Run Bruce Springsteen

honorable mention..

Work Work by Cathe Friedrich

Cool thread, LauraMax!

Great question, LM. Very tough to narrow it down to 3, but here goes. Actually, I'm gonna name 5 at the risk of making ya mad, because Third Place is a dead-heat three-way tie. Seriously. ;)

These are all kick-butt fantastic elliptical, spin bike or treadmill songs.

I might add that I am dreadfully old, and my choices reflect this -- most of these songs are gonna sound like ancient history to many of our Educated Crowd here. But for you youngsters out there, and by that I mean anyone under 45 :p, look these songs up on iTunes and I DARE you not to love 'em for any of the uses I mentioned! :D

1. (by a WIDE margin, I might add) "Vertigo" by U2
2. "Lido Shuffle" by Boz Scaggs
3. "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" by Elton John AND "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones AND "Barracuda" by Heart

I'm liking this one lately

Especially when running off road.

"Slide to the Vibe" by Voodoo & serano. Its on iTunes. I do slide a lot when running off road. :D:eek:

Lately, it's a three-way tie between:

"Boys Wanna Be Her" - Peaches
and
"It's a Long Way to the Top (If you Wanna Rock n Roll)" - AC/DC
and
"Funky Goes to Hollywood" - mashup by DJ Earworm

Everybody was kung fu fightiiiing huhhh
ta-ta-ta-ta-tut-tut-tut-tut-ta
Those cats were as fast as lightniiing
Infact it was a lil bit frighteniiing
But they fought with expert timing
There were funky Chinamen from funky Chinatown
They were chopping them up and they were chopping them down

Never fails to put a smile on my lips and extra spring in my feet when I run. I live in hope that some instructor will use this in a kick box workout.

I also love Wasnt me from Shaggy because I find this part sooo funny (well as long as it isnt my husband "creeping with the girl next door"):

To be a true player you have to know how to play
If she say a night, convince her say a day
Never admit to a word when she say makes a claim
And you tell her baby no way
But she caught me on the counter (It wasn't me)
Saw me bangin' on the sofa (It wasn't me)
I even had her in the shower (It wasn't me)
She even caught me on camera (It wasn't me)
She saw the marks on my shoulder (It wasn't me)
Heard the words that I told her (It wasn't me)
Heard the scream get louder (It wasn't me)

I love, love, love me some Beegees and Abba "disco" pop too.

LOL to Jerry's honorable mention.

Last edited:
Great question, LM. Very tough to narrow it down to 3, but here goes. Actually, I'm gonna name 5 at the risk of making ya mad, because Third Place is a dead-heat three-way tie. Seriously. ;)

These are all kick-butt fantastic elliptical, spin bike or treadmill songs.

I might add that I am dreadfully old, and my choices reflect this -- most of these songs are gonna sound like ancient history to many of our Educated Crowd here. But for you youngsters out there, and by that I mean anyone under 45 :p, look these songs up on iTunes and I DARE you not to love 'em for any of the uses I mentioned! :D

3. "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" by Elton John AND "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones AND "Barracuda" by Heart

Gee, thanks Kathy...you reminded me to add Brown Sugar by the Stones!! Also, Back in the Saddle by Aerosmith...way too much going on here!!

However, nothing, but nothing gets the heart rate off the charts like Mandy by Barry Manilow....:p

I also love Wasnt me from Shaggy because I find this part sooo funny (well as long as it isnt my husband "creeping with the girl next door"):

Oh, I love this song! Reminds me of Jamaica.
Now I have to go play that song and picture the white sand beach, tropical breeze, sipping the drink "makin' Jamaican babies":D:cool:

Everybody was kung fu fightiiiing huhhh
ta-ta-ta-ta-tut-tut-tut-tut-ta
Those cats were as fast as lightniiing
Infact it was a lil bit frighteniiing
But they fought with expert timing
There were funky Chinamen from funky Chinatown
They were chopping them up and they were chopping them down

Never fails to put a smile on my lips and extra spring in my feet when I run

Holy crap! That IS on my mp3 player! LMAO!

i always just listen to cathe for weights, but if im on the elliptical without coach sean then its anything by missy elliott. (sp???):eek::eek::eek:

not what youd expect from an ultra-conservative sahm of 3 girls! my youngest sis loaded my3 up with a bunch of stuff and i love the fast-paced stuff w/ bass! i try to zone out the words tho.....

Picking a top 3 is challenging, but here's mine that are my "go to's" when I need to motivate:
1. Theme song from the TV series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. ( Mock me, I deserve it!)
2. Layla.. Eric Clapton ..particularly thhe guitar and piano instrumental portion. It makes me forget I'm weary and sore when I'm on the treadmill.
3. Anything for Love-- Meatloaf. Yeah, I know (!) but its over 11 minutes long, so I can a bunch of time done in just one song :)

Take care, Lynn M.

However, nothing, but nothing gets the heart rate off the charts like Mandy by Barry Manilow....:p

OHMIGOSH, Jer, how could I forget THAT chestnut??? :p

Or "Feelings" by Albert Morris? (Aw man, now I'm lodging that stupid song in my own head for the rest of today.... DUH!!! :mad:)

Kathy, I know all of these songs...but I'm having trouble picturing working out to Lido Shuffle!:p

I don't usually work out to other music, since I'm usually doing a Cathe DVD, but for lifting I like Brick House by the Commodores, Jungle Boogie by Kool and the Gang, and Got to Give it up by Marvin Gaye. 70s funk rules!

Hmmmmm..... only 3?

"Shake That" by Eminem and Akon - the lyrics are a bit on the raunchy side (I wouldn't let DS listen) but its got a good beat, especially for for running

"Freeek" by George Micheal - Also good for driving. I had it blaring out the window on Sun when I went by a church where mass was letting out - oops!

"Darling Nikki" by Prince

Honorable mention goes to anything by Disturbed, especially for lifting weights.

Nan

LOVE MUSIC THREADS!

I know we are to limit these to 3, but I'm going to go with 3 for lifting and 3 for cardio.

My 3 for lifting:

1: Fmlyhm - Seether
2: Forever - Kid Rock
3: Bad Girlfriend - Theory of a Deadman

There are so many more for lifting, but these get me pumped up!

My 3 for cardio:
1: Low - TPain
2: 4 Minutes - Madonna
3: Get Back - Ludacris

:D

8 Mile Soundtrack...
Dangerous- Akon
Whatever you like-T.I.
Hung Up-Madonna
Ready, Steady Go-Paul Okenfield
Lets Dance, Lady Gaga
Anything by the Scorpions
Round and Round-RATT
Enter Sandman-Metallica
Soulmate-Natasha Bendingfield

My tastes are all over the place...I love hardcore techno music for cardio especially...

For running I love:
1)Goodbye to you/Scandel(an oldie but what a beat)

2)Let's See How Far We've Come/Matchbox Twenty(love the beat, I give it a 10)

and 3)Ain't Much Fun Since I've Quiy Drinkin'/Toby Keith

I mainly listen to Cathe when working out (and the sound of my labored breath:))

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.