What's Next?

hammiehaack

Hi Everyone, I'm a 40 year old chick who started exercising again about a year and a half ago. I do not need to lose weight and am now showing some muscle, especially in arms and legs. My question: I ride a stationary bike (my choice for cardio) at least three times a week and do Cathe's Muscle Max three times per week. What should be next for me as far as weight lifting Cathe DVDs? My goal is for my arms to show that I lift weights! I want some more bulk. I can currently see my "bulk", but I want others to readily see it. I'M SO VAIN!

Hi Hammiehack,

Welcome to the forums! A good next step would be to try some of Cathe's split rotations. I'd recommend the three Gym Styles series. They're wonderful workouts, and really help add definition!

Hope this helps!:)

I completely agree with Leanne. Switch up your weight training. Splits are an excellent way to get stronger and leaner. I also love the Pyramids and Slow and Heavy. You also might want to change up your cardio a little. Even if it's only different on one day and you still use your bike the other two--maybe take a walk, or run, or do a step workout.

Good luck! You're going to be spending lots of dough on Cathe workouts! They're addicting! :) :D

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Thanks Ladies.

Of course, good answers only lead to more questions. So.....

If I were to get Pyramids, how often do I do them? Upper Body and Lower Body, both one or two times per week?

I'm a bit leary of getting the gym styles because of unforseen committments (I work full time and have a hubbie and 6 year-old) I sometimes can only do a weight workout twice per week and this would leave me totally skipping one GS workout.

Also I have done some online reserach and have seen that many, if not most, fitness experts say that a split workout, as opposed to a full body workout, is not necessarily better at building muscle. They are actually pretty much the same.

I'm fairly new at this and just want to get the best bang for my time. I try to be efficient in everything I do.

Thanks ahead of time for your replies.

When I do the Pyramid workouts, I do the UB and LB once during the week, and make the third weight workout full body. (and the 4th circuit or full body, if I do 4 that week). I just don't like doing the same workouts over and over again so close together, I get bored.

It sounds like there are some weeks when you DO have time for more than 2 workouts, so you could do GS during those weeks, and Pyramids during the "only 2 workout" weeks. Or you could just do the two upper body GS, and not worry about a leg weight workout that week, since you already work your legs on cardio days with the bike. Or you could add half the GS Legs to each of the two GS upper body days, if you have time for longer workouts on those days. The GS workouts are shorter than most others, so doing 1 1/2 might work. Or, you could do the same idea but do only 2 sets of everything (instead of 3) on the GS upper and lower body portions, to reduce the total time but still get an all-around workout 2x per week.

They are both great, and having some variety may keep you from getting bored, and at the same time challenge your muscles in different ways which probably will help them develop faster (that "muscle confusion" concept).

Cathe also has other total body weight workouts. If you only get two weightlifting days I might would try the Pyramids and maybe get a couple of other total body workouts and switch up every few weeks. Power Hour is great and it also has MIS and BM on it.

Farrah

I also recommend the Gym Style series .....they are one of my faves....also have you thought about getting STS??? That would be perfect to give u that definition that you are looking for....that is why I am getting it. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.