what would happen?

kariev

Cathlete
if you went to 2 days a week of full body workouts and 3 days a week of cardio (kickbox, ellipical, and running)? would you lose the muscle you built? would it help you lean out or decrease some bulk?

Everyone is different. In fact, this is sort of what this month's rotation looks like. Lots of cardio and three total body workouts per week. Check it out. I am doing this rotation so will let you all know.
But as always, diet is everything. So yeah, that figures into any kind of exercise routine.

I am not completely sure, but I wouldn't do it personally but that is just me. I don't do the "rotations" just because I don't have so many of the videos still. I would say a rotation like you are suggesting would enable you to maintain strength but you would probably lose endurance. Then again, it depends on what types of "full body" exercises you are doing. If it is low reps, but you cover a little bit of everything, then what I said above would be mainly true. I would presume you would lose a bit of muscle visibly if you are not lifting heavy enough and/or with enough reps. Just my 2 cents.
Clarissa ;)

When I switched to 2 days of cardio (1 step, 1 not) then a day of full body weights (started w/ MM then rotated thru to PP and SS)Repeat 1x then a yoga or rest day to make a full week. I noticed a huge change. It kicked my butt right off the plateau I was on and I started losing again. I still have some weight to go and am on a temporary medical set back but that's the plan I'll be getting back on, although I still want 4DS. I didn't notice any changes right away, but after about 2 weeks my pants were looser and at about 4 weeks they were falling down, as were the numbers on the scale. I lost about 5 lbs the 1st month (not bad) of working that program, but it looked more like 10. Lost about 20 overall over 3 months of that. Plus, I gained strength and endurance. I just said "today you are going to lift heavier" and I did. No ifs,ands, or buts. I really had to watch what I was eating, as well. But it seemed to kick start my metabolism and weight loss again. The only thing I noticed is that I get hungrier more often. I have to eat every 3 or 4 hours, but as long as I watch what I'm eating, no problems. I switch the weight workout every month. Seeing as it worked thru the holidays, I will call it a success. I am now just trying to maintain til I can get back at it. So yes, it can and does work, but every body is different, so you need to figure out whats best for you. I think a lot of it is trial and error. I also think you need to give any new program a chance to work. I say give it 2 weeks to a month see if it works for you. If not, then try something else. You'll eventually find your "magic formula" By changing up the cardio routines daily and the weight routines monthly, you'll keep your body from getting bored and stuck in a rut. I can now match or exceed Cathe on everything except quantity on pushups and tricep dips. When I am feeling better and healed, I will purchase 4DS and climb that mountain.

Nan

When I switched to 2 days of cardio (1 step, 1 not) then a day of full body weights (started w/ MM then rotated thru to PP and SS)Repeat 1x then a yoga or rest day to make a full week. I noticed a huge change. It kicked my butt right off the plateau I was on and I started losing again. I still have some weight to go and am on a temporary medical set back but that's the plan I'll be getting back on, although I still want 4DS. I didn't notice any changes right away, but after about 2 weeks my pants were looser and at about 4 weeks they were falling down, as were the numbers on the scale. I lost about 5 lbs the 1st month (not bad) of working that program, but it looked more like 10. Lost about 20 overall over 3 months of that. Plus, I gained strength and endurance. I just said "today you are going to lift heavier" and I did. No ifs,ands, or buts. I really had to watch what I was eating, as well. But it seemed to kick start my metabolism and weight loss again. The only thing I noticed is that I get hungrier more often. I have to eat every 3 or 4 hours, but as long as I watch what I'm eating, no problems. I switch the weight workout every month. Seeing as it worked thru the holidays, I will call it a success. I am now just trying to maintain til I can get back at it. So yes, it can and does work, but every body is different, so you need to figure out whats best for you. I think a lot of it is trial and error. I also think you need to give any new program a chance to work. I say give it 2 weeks to a month see if it works for you. If not, then try something else. You'll eventually find your "magic formula" By changing up the cardio routines daily and the weight routines monthly, you'll keep your body from getting bored and stuck in a rut. I can now match or exceed Cathe on everything except quantity on pushups and tricep dips. When I am feeling better and healed, I will purchase 4DS and climb that mountain.

Nan

After my last marathon (October) I started doing just that...2 total body workouts, the rest is cardio. I WAS doing 3 days total body but while recovering from the marathon, I started back with 2 days. But after a few weeks, I saw awesome changes and decided to keep with it to see what would happen!

Now, my cardio load is higher because I am training for another marathon. I am doing 2 total body endurance workouts (ME, PH, MM, HSTA w/out cardio, or HSC w/out cardio).

The results for me...looser clothes, lost some weight. The workouts are getting too easy. So, I am not loosing strength. They are endurance workouts so I am not loosing endurance. I don't think I am loosing muscle...just Sunday night, I was out to dinner wearing a sleeveless turtle neck and the waiter asked me "Do you compete?".

Final note: My diet has been excellent the past few months...barely any sugar. Also, everyone's body is different...I am very short with short limbs so any muscle shows very easily because it isn't stretched along a nice long bone.

I agree with Nan, try it for 2-4 weeks and see what happens! Busted my rut!

thanks. what i'm going through right now is feeling to bulky. i've been lifting HEAVY for a few months now and have noticed changes in the way my clothes are fitting (not for the goodx( ) the thigh part of my jeans are now snug and i feel as though my shoulders have become to broad so i'm going to switch to a more cardio/endurance type of workout. i think next week i may just do all cardio and then the following week add in the 2 days of weights. my diet is dead on and it usually is. diet is not a problem for me. thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.