What to do with old dumbbells

lilnurse

I have some old dumbbells and plates I don't use anymore since I purchased an Ironmaster quick-lock set. Some are the light, coated "Barbie" weights and some are chrome or hex 'bells. Does anyone have an idea of what I could do to sell/recycle them? I know steel prices are going up, so I would feel terrible about just putting them on the curb when I know when they could be put to better use than that.

Thanks!

OMG, sell them on craigslist.org or give them away on freecycle.org!!!!!!!! I use both of those sites religiously. Keeps stuff out of the landfills. I know someone I work with who is dying for some cheaper dumbells and we can't find any in our area on craigslist. People in your area will scoop them up, I'm tellin' ya.

Donate them to a Boys & Girls Club or the YMCA. I am sure there are plenty of places like that that would love to have them!

Lilnurse-
You might also look into some of the orgs that send stuff to the troops overseas. There are orgs that will ship just about anything and everything to the soldiers. And you could take a tax deduction maybe.....sorry the accountant in me.

I have some old dumbbells and plates I don't use anymore since I purchased an Ironmaster quick-lock set. Some are the light, coated "Barbie" weights and some are chrome or hex 'bells. Does anyone have an idea of what I could do to sell/recycle them? I know steel prices are going up, so I would feel terrible about just putting them on the curb when I know when they could be put to better use than that.

Thanks!

All above are great suggestions....I had to jump in to say that I bought a pair of Ironmaster's a couple of months ago myself. Pricey, but so worth the price 'cause they'll last a lifetime! So glad to see another Cathe-ite has them (I get the impression that Ironmasters are mainly a "guy thing").

Thank you all for the input. I may have to make some calls tomorrow as the thought of donating the gift of fitness to one of our local charities sounds really good to me. :)

Bizybee, I have to agree that our new dumbbells are awesome! The thing that sold me on them is that the plates are standard sized, so they fit my barbells nicely too. It is a shame that they are so focused on men in their marketing. But hey, no use letting the guys have all the fun with the good toys! :) Sometimes I am tempted to go get a can of pink enamel paint to do a custom job on my plates and then post it in the bodybuilding forum. :) "Pink weights are for girls? I'll show you a pink weight... All 75 lbs of it!" LOL!

If none of the above ideas work out, you could drop off the all-metal ones (no vinyl-coated ones) at your nearest metal recycling center. They probably won't pay you for them, because some of these places only pay for large quantities of metal (but at least they would have a good second life, and not take up space in a landfill).

Another option is to get crafty, and use them for art purposes!

(They also make good door stops...but watch your toes!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.