What keeps you motivated...

Heidisue

Cathlete
and consistant? I do really good for a month or two (lately a week!!!) and then have a long break for a week or two. I'm not sure if it's just cause of my schedule or when I start seeing results, can you believe this, I stop! How do you stay on track and stay consistant? What works the best for you?

I get up and workout first thing in the morning - so I have a set schedule for my workouts. I do sometimes have to force myself out of bed (I'm up at 4:30). If I am feeling tired or unmotivated, I force myself to get dressed and start the workout, knowing that I will feel better once it's done. If I don't feel better after 10 minutes, I'll stop. But that's rare - once the blood is pumping I'm usually ready to go.

That's how I stay consistant. What motivates me? The feeling I get from exercising. I also set challenges for myself - like a goal to run a half marathon, or do this 10k race... If I have a goal I'm much more likely to stick out workouts I don't want to do.

I just make working out "required" on a daily basis, just like I have to go to work everyday, I also have to w/o everyday. Also doing it at the same time each day helps me at least. I know I get one day off a week & that is it. I always just have to remind myself of how good I feel after working out that helps too!

For me, sometimes it's easy and others it's not. I have been consistently working out 4-6 days a week for 5 years now. There are some days, like today, when I am very motivated. And others when I have to make myself do it. I don't know why. I think though it has a lot to do with my mental state of mind. If I am having a "bad" day, I am more likely to try to talk myself out of working out. I workout in the evening on work days- can not make myself in the morning. I also will occasionally take a week off completely when I feel like I am getting burned out. It helps me to do that. I usually come back really motivated.

Catherine

http://www.picturetrail.com/photos/fit_fairy

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

I've been doing P90X and it's the first time I've actually followed a rotation. It has definitely kept me focused and I feel "guilty" even thinking of skipping a workout. Maybe you can try that? I know that I'll probably be following more rotations when I'm done with the X. It's keeping me "honest"............lol.

Nancy

Find something that you really love and you'll naturally stick with it. I bought a treadmill, and discovered I hated walking on it. Very mind numbing. I tried walking outside, and it's okay, but in Michigan the weather is unpredictable and 3 young kids doesn't make the timeing very flexible. I started using "walk away the pounds" and just didn't much like Leslie. Then Tae Bo, not for me. So on to The Firm. It was okay, but the instructors were slightly annoying. I did discover with The Transfirmer that I liked Step Aerobics. So, Eureka! Something I finally liked. I then found Cathe and have been working out with her 6 days a week ever since. Exersize is it's own reward. It keeps me energized and happier. I feel accomplished and less guilty about eating something yummy. Good Luck on your journey.

Sally

I have been exercising on a consistent basis for about 5 years so it has really just become a part of my lifestyle. I have simply made exercise a priority. It gets done just like the house gets cleaned, the clothes get washed, dinner gets cooked....you get the idea. :) My life has changed alot since I first began my exercise routine. I have exercised as late as 8pm and as early as 7am and every hour in between depending on my situation at the time. No matter what happens, I make sure I can fit it in. Belonging to a gym as well as having all of my dvds at home helps alot because I have a wide range of options available to me in order to make sure that I get a work out in every day that I need to. As far as what truly motivates me to work out? Well, at this point I ENJOY IT! It's fun for me. It's almost become like a hobby. :) I also LOVE to eat and know that even though I try to maintain a healthy diet MOST of the time...if I don't exercise I *WILL* gain weight. It's just a fact and I *DON'T* want that to happen so that definately helps!:+

What keeps me motivated is knowing what I DON'T want to look like. I have this picture of myself that was taken on Easter Sunday a few years ago and it is the most horrible picture that I've ever seen. I keep it out of sight in my dresser. But I take it out to remind myself of what I used to look like when I'm in need of some motivation. I know that I never want to get back to that place. 3 years and 38 lbs later, it still works!

What keeps me consistent is Cathe. I enjoy working out to her DVD's more than any other workout I've tried whether it be a class at a gym or another instructors DVD.

Sometimes I turn on FitTV in the morning while I'm getting my DD and myself ready to get out the door to school and work. Just the sound of her voice motivates me for the day and gets me thinking about what workout I want to do that night.

Melissa

I used to just exercise and not really track my eating. Now that Amy turned me on to sparkpeople.com, I do both and have really been seeing great results. Although, I did still exercise consistently before seeing much for results. I just felt guilty if I didn't - I knew it was good for me even if my body didn't change much.

My attitude goes straight down the toilet if I don't get my heart pumping with exercise. It's anger management for me. Oh, would my family ever be miserable if I didn't workout! LOL

Just make it a non-negotiable part of your day and you will do it.

Angie

I agree w/ Sally: "Find something that you really love and you'll naturally stick with it." This is SO important - if you don't love it, you ain't gonna do it!

My other prime motivator is having my clothes fit all the time - I get sent into a tail-spin when my pants don't fit (as in getting too tight). I've been very consistant for the last 2 years in that I've maintained a weight lost and my britches always fit. Also very key is to get rid of any clothes that are too big - I refuse to buy bigger clothes so I have to fit into what I've got.

Mixing it up with other workouts and instructors. Making a rotation for one week at a time, focusing on getting through that week (if it's a rough one). Good luck!
Angela:7

What a great question - expecially because I've been in a slump recently, but have still managed to workout more or less regularly.

The first thing that keeps me exercising is the way I feel after a really good sweatfest. That endorphin rush is addictive. The second thing is knowing that it's MY time. No one else can do it for me, no one else can take away what it does for me.

I workout out first thing in the morning - it's non-negotiable. I've made it a priority. But when I start feeling like I just don't want to, I pull out my fat picture and remember how I felt when I was 48 lbs heavier. I remember not being able to walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded, or not having the energy to just go on a walk on a nice day. I NEVER want that again.

Claude

"A Drug is a substance which, when injected into a Rat, produces a SCIENTIFIC REPORT."

I love to workout. My challenge is forcing myself to have one rest day a week. I used to workout for 15 to 18 days without a break. For the past two years I've made sure to take one day off a week. What a difference. My muscles got stronger, my legs got leaner and I have more energy to kick butt during a workout.
I get cranky if I don't workout so I even incorporate it into vacation time.
I try to do different activities to keep the interest high. Winter I do a lot of skating and jazz dancing. When the weather cooperates I also love cross country skiing. Summer my family and I go to the lake and do a lot of swimming and canoeing. Spring to Fall I do a lot of biking and play at the park with my kids (age 5 and 7). I like to go up the firepole and do pull ups at the park. I also go for long distance bike rides by myself on the weekends. We do lots of walks as a family too.
I like following Cathe's rotations and just substitute in a few non video activities each week.

my motivation is the feeling I get After I workout!I haven't been working out long,for about two years now,but I do love it.And days like today I look forward to it.I agree with Sally,you kinda have to find something you enjoy and go for it!I love cathe(my Credit card dosen't:))And for me I had to just "set my mind to it"about four years ago I actually bought the cathe workout at walmart and did it one time and took it back,I said that-that womens crazy,I can't do that! But now I'm eating my words,(sorry cathe:p).I got a good liabrary of all cathe! another motivater is the inches I've lost and weight,cathe nows what she doing!

some days I do have to force myself to get my workout cloths on,but once I start sweating i feel great!

Amy:)

Have to agree with Amy. I feel so good both mentally and physically. I have been working out for , wow, I guess 30 some years now. It has been a progression. Also, to agree with the other posters, when you find something that is fun to do, it is much easier to stick with it...results are good, too:) my biggest problem is not the working out, it's the eating:eek:

The thing that keeps me motivated is how my clothes are fitting me and what my butt and abs look like when I slack off lol....

Rhonda:7

I simply love how it feels to work out and that motivates me the most.

Also, I am a homeschooling mom of 6 children 12 and under, so it is a stress reliever for me.

And, I have this other hobby that I love--food--cooking, baking, eating, that sort of thing, and I'd probably be really overweight if I did not work out.

Maggie:)

That nagging voice in my head that doesn't go away until I work out and being able to look at myself naked without cringing.;)

Well I like designer jeans and if I didn't stick to my workouts I would have a closet full of expensive jeans I couldn't fit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.