What is up with the new videos?

Mine are a little grainy too. I can still see everything, but its not clear. Its almost like what standard def looks like on an HD TV. I know that it doesnt make sense. I will have to check my settings too because my TV is a flat screen ( I think LCD) from about a year ago, and the DVD player is a couple years old. Maybe its the DVD players fault.

You do realize these are standard def DVDs? If you're used to watching shows in HD these DVDs will not look as good as Blu-Ray resolution which is far superior.

Last edited:
Thanks for going to the trouble to go and actually get the same dvd player as mine. I'm not sure what's going on, but the picture is slightly "fuzzy". Not sure how to explain it. I will keep the dvds because I like them. I can still do them, but the picture will just be not quite right (even worse when I don't have on my glasses, LOL). However, I may not order any new ones that come out in this filming format in the future.

Same here....

Mine are not clear at all! It plays in the wide screen format, which looks great, but the clarity is like a bad home movie. I'll put up with it, but I certainly don't understand why all other Cathe videos are crystal clear and these are not.

Susan

I'm in the same boat...

I really hate to report that I just checked out my DVDs for the first time (actually only tried High Reps and didn't go any further from there). The picture is fuzzy/blurred on my workout room TV, which is standard definition. I tried changing the aspect on the DVD output and it made it worse. I understand also the comment about the picture being sort of, but not really, pixelated. It's almost as if it has a grid in it. (Phillips DVD/Phillips TV)

I tried the DVD on my regular (not Blu Ray or anything) DVD player and HDTV in another room and the picture is crisp and clear. (Phillips DVD/Vizio TV)

It's very disappointing. The picture on the workout room TV disturbs my eyes, as when the refresh rate on a computer monitor is not set correctly.

I tried adjusting the Noise reduction settings on the tv, and I think it helped a little. It's still not crisp and sharp like every other dvd I own though. For something that was filmed in HD, I thought the image quality would be even better than the previous dvds. Maybe going from film in HD to a dvd that is SD is what is causing some problems. I own many, many dvds that are SD and use them with my HD tv....they all have great picture quality. I even tried playing the new dvds on my X-box, and had the same issues. That's two different HD tvs and 3 different dvd players.

I am not the only one because I just read a thread on another site about people having problems with the picutre quality; someone mentioned that her downloads were much better picture quality than the dvds she received.

Not every one owns a HD dvd player or HD tv. Just something to think about for any future projects.

Still love the workouts!!!

Last edited:
oh no me to :( if I watch these dvds on my 58inch plasma panasonic either using my playstation or other dvd player they look so bad, grainy, pixels, bad motion control or something going on, makes you sea sick feeling , even my husband said" what is up with those dvds?" he tryed everything to fix, ugh, plays okay on my toshiba 23 inch with build in dvd on full- tried playing on the comp and was having the same issues until hubby messed with a bunch of stuff and finally it played cleaner? did something go wrong in the copying process? yuck....... to bad
---cathes lower body blast is a killer though :p

I must be lucky as the DVDs are fine on my TV. they play in wide screen mode and I have no problems.

Rhonda

Not every one owns a HD dvd player or HD tv.

My son installs home theater for Best Buy and I asked him if I need an HD dvd player in my workout room. He told me the only way to get true HD is if the disc itself is bluray.
I have an HD TV and bluray player and the picture quality is typical DVD. All these technical terms are confusing!!!

BTW, I also have monster cables.

THE QUALITY OF THE DVD'S WAS ALSO DISAPPOINTING TO ME. I DID ADJUST THE ASPECT RATIO, AND IT IMPROVED SLIGHTLY. IT IS AS IF EVERYONE IN THE BACK ROW IS SO FUZZY, AND CATHE ISN'T AS CLEAR AS SHE NORMALLY IS. I HAVE EVERY CATHE DVD EXCEPT PURE STRENGTH, AND THEY ARE ALL GREAT. I STILL LOVE THE WORKOUTS, BUT THE CLARITY IS SUB-PAR.

Just got the DVDs (a first for Greek Postal services... just 10 days to get them!) and tried them on my Macbook Pro and DVD player.

On the 13" Macbook they look fine, like any other normal DVD.

My Philips HTS 9800 Home Theater DVD player upscales all DVDs to 1080p and sends the signal through HDMI to my Philips 40" LED HDTV. I compared and got the same picture I got when playing STS Ab Circuits, for example. High Definition TVs are bound to show some blur or pixelation when playing normal DVDs because they get 300something horizontal lines from regular DVDs when they can handle 1080. When they play BluRay discs (please note that HD Players and HD discs as a standard are discontinued) or files (1080p and 720p) the picture is brilliant.

I think that if you program the DVD player to transmit the image as is (at 480) and not upscale the image (don't use Auto), you might get better results.

Chris.

P.S. Has anyone who downloaded the DVDs had the same problem?...

I am also having the same problem. I am a lurker (can you tell? lol) and haven't posted on here before. Switching between any other Cathe DVD and the new workouts, the picture quality problem is quite obvious. The picture is "fuzzy." I have not played with changing aspect ratios and will try that tonight.

I will add that my DVD player (which I cannot even remember what it is at the moment) is a cheapie. I will also try the DVDs on my Mac and even my playstation 3 (connected to HD TV) to see if even that makes a difference.

I honestly wasn't going to say anything until I saw that others were having this problem. It is annoying but it doesn't ruin the workout. couldn't even make it through lower body blast last night! Owie!

No Problems Here

I am using a really old CRT Panasonic televison. My DVD player is a Sony standard player that is 7 years old.

I have no problems - could it be because I am using that ancient equipment?

The DVDs play great. They are not the NFL quality as far as definition like in 4 Day Split and STS, but they are very close.

Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the DVDs.

Last edited:
Hello.

I've not had any problems with my dvd's. The picture and sound quality are very good. :) Love the workouts too!

I have the same problem and I have standard TV and standard DVD...nothing special. No flat screen, no hdtv, no blu ray. I don't know where to begin to fix this. Everyone looks fuzzy and elongated and it looks blurry and hurts my eyes a little. Still can do them but I'm glad someone said something.

If everyone looks elongated it means you don't have your TV set to the right aspect ratio.

I have adjusted the aspect ratio. The picture is fuzzy. I have never had anything like this happen before. I also have all of the DVD'S, except pure strength, and rhythmic step. It is so distracting, I don't even want to do the workouts. Very disappointed, and I have never been disappointed before. I have a SONY Bravia 1080 LCD tv. AND A SONY DISC PLAYER. I just don't understand what the problem is. Even the intro's blurry!

I feel your pain. I have done everything suggested to fix the picture quality, and there has been no change. I too have a Sony Bravia tv and blu-ray/dvd player. The dvds also look the same on the new Samsung I got last month. All my other dvds look great. It's not the tv, it's the dvds.

fuzzy

I did not end up getting these workouts because supposedly paypal never sent them payment but I don't see why you should have to make all of the suggested adjustments if all other workout dvd's play fine in your player or tv? Doesn't make sense to me. Just saying.

same issue

I had the same problem..distorted picture, they all look very tall, and picture is kindof fuzzy. I can try to change the resolution too but I don't understand why they aren't the same as all the other dvd's.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.