What book are you reading???

I read A Walk in the Woods a few yrs. ago and loved it. There were parts where I actually laughed out loud.
Just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: very good. Now am reading The Glass House which got my attention right away. The true story of a girl growing up w/ mentally ill parents.
Valerie

>I'm reading "A Respectable Trade" by Philippa Gregory. I
>love well researched historical novels.

Christine, have you read "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America" by Erik Larson? It's not a historical novel, but it reads like a one....it is a true story of events that happened at the Chicago World's Fair, and a serial killer that preyed on women that came to Chicago. It is FAB-ulous, I could not put it down. I've read it twice!

For what I'm reading now---for about the 30th time!--- is "Gone With the Wind", and I'm enjoying almost more than when I first read it at 16. :) Awesome book.

Thanks, Cathy! I knew someone else here would understand! ;)

Let's see if it works . . . I'm also rereading Jhumpa Lahiri's [ {i} The Namesake {/b} ] so that I can teach it for the first time next week. Can't wait!!! Has anyone seen the movie? Does it follow the novel fairly closely?

ETA: OK, so the italics code isn't working for me . . . I tried enclosing the code in the square brackets, but they post as the "pointy" brackets <>. Any ideas?

ETA #2: Thanks, Lainie! OK, drum roll please . . . . The Namesake

YAY! It worked! :7

>Thanks, Cathy! I knew someone else here would understand!
>;)
>
>Let's see if it works . . . I'm also rereading Jhumpa Lahiri's
>[ {i} The Namesake {/b} ] so that I can teach it for the first
>time next week. Can't wait!!! Has anyone seen the movie?
>Does it follow the novel fairly closely?
>
>ETA: OK, so the italics code isn't working for me . . . I
>tried enclosing the code in the square brackets, but they post
>as the "pointy" brackets <>. Any ideas?

Actually, she means you have to change each of the {} brackets to square brackets. also, the letters should match {i}book title{/i} for italics {b}word{/b} for bold. Just use that but replace the {} with square brackets. Here's an example using the square brackets with i: italics or with b: bold. Hope that helps!

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif[/font]

I love threads like this! Gives me good ideas for what to read next. I had wondered if the Twilight series was good. Now I will have to get it! I just finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl. I loved it and basically did nothing but read for the entire weekend. Eventually, I want to re-read all of the Harry Potter books from beginning to end too.

I highly recommend this book Lainie! It's very readable and it will give you a big picture view of what happened. My dad was drafted during the Korean war but ended up serving in Iceland. He died when I was a child but I often think of how neat it would be to visit Iceland and see some of the places he saw.

Pippa - LOVED A Thousand Spendid Suns. Like Kite Runner, it's dark, but unlike Kite Runner, I thought it gave more hope. Enjoy it.

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns last night and I loved it! I think Khaled Hosseini has done very well with these first two books.

Tonight I'm starting Dune - I've always wanted to read this...very different from what I just read! :)

Jo

Hi-

I read A Thousand Splendid Suns too. I thought it was good, but liked the Kite Runner a little bit better.

Just finished last night The Other Boleyn Girl.. that was an excellent read as well.

Lynn M.

I'm waiting for the last in the Sword of Truth Books. I've read the others.

I also enjoyed The Other Boelyn Girl. It actually lead me to read all of hers about King Henry's wives. Good reading, actually.

I just finished The Kite Runner, which was very good, and I'm loving Water for Elephants (I'm about half way through). If you like historical fiction (like Phillipa Gregory's books) you should defintely try The Birth of Venus...one of my favorite all time books!

I just finished the new Nicholas Sparks book. I can't even remember the title! I really did like it, though. I know that some people either love or hate NS as an author. I am in the category of like!!
Jenn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.