What are your Favorite Hikes?

elsie3

Cathlete
I've really enjoyed learning about some of your hiking experiences. Would anyone like to share their favorite hikes, stories, etc?

Hiking to the top and back of Mt. Whitney with my husband last September was equal in the mental experience and physical effort to a full marathon. I hope to take it on again later this year!

Another one of my favorites closer to home is hiking down to the beach from the road at Montano de Oro State Park, playing in the dunes then hiking back up to the road. Killer! And fun!

I just love hiking in general!

Hiking to the top and back of Mt. Whitney with my husband last September was equal in the mental experience and physical effort to a full marathon. I hope to take it on again later this year!

Another one of my favorites closer to home is hiking down to the beach from the road at Montano de Oro State Park, playing in the dunes then hiking back up to the road. Killer! And fun!

I just love hiking in general!

Sounds wonderful. I'm googling Mt. Whitney. It looks absolutely amazing--and a real challenge! I love all hiking, too, but I most love hiking in the mountains. My favorite hike so far is Mt. Timpanogos because it is so beautiful (wildflowers, waterfalls, mountain goats) and because there aren't any really scary drop-offs.

When I was a kid we used to go to Silver Lake in CA and hike up to a very small lake called Deer Lake. It was so deep you could dive 20 + feet and be secure in the knowledge that the lake was over 30 feet deep. It was sooo cold!

Sentinel Dome hike in Yosemite National Park. It was in June and we had to walk thru snow to get to the top. At the top was a panoramic view of not only Yosemite Valley and all the falls, but Half Dome,El Capitan and all of the Sierras. I felt like I was having an epiphany up there - our whole family experienced it and we'll never forget it. I have a picture of it in my exam room at work and when I get stressed out, I look at that picture of our family up there and feel serenity within the memories.

Yosemite is a MUST DO. Go there. Do it.

Last year, on Good Friday, we took our boys on a hike in a local park that has beautiful, nice, long nature trails that we love. It was really spiritual to be spending that time with each other and God. We decided we'd make it a tradition to have a nice long hike on Good Friday every year. :) We hike with our kids several times a year, but that Good Friday hike just really was special to me. :)

Sentinel Dome hike in Yosemite National Park. It was in June and we had to walk thru snow to get to the top. At the top was a panoramic view of not only Yosemite Valley and all the falls, but Half Dome,El Capitan and all of the Sierras. I felt like I was having an epiphany up there - our whole family experienced it and we'll never forget it. I have a picture of it in my exam room at work and when I get stressed out, I look at that picture of our family up there and feel serenity within the memories.

My hubby has been wanting to take me Yosemite for years! I hear that spring is the best time, what do you think? We were out in Red Rock Country this fall and geographically felt too far away from Yosemite to be able to fit it into our short vacation time.

We have a beautiful little state park nearby called Stone Mountain (in NC) and I loved the hike up to the top! Really gets my heart thumping and has all that Cathe cardio paying off! The large granite outcroppings are great for snacking on trail mix, soaking up the rays, and watching the gentle glide of the falcons as they play on the updrafts.
Another area of the park has a section of the Mountain To Sea Trail which is a work in progress: a trail that will extend from the mountains in NC to our coast. The section we hiked was very steep inclines (my chest nearly touched my quads at some points! I love the uphill, hate the downhill!

All of these hikes sound phenomenal - I LOVE hiking...just wish that we lived near more:(

The mountain to sea trail sounds amazing! Gotta love NC for having the best of both worlds. I think that's why so many Ohioans move there :)

Yosemite is absolutely amazing. Seriously the best trip in our lives - it's been almost a year and the kids are still talking about it and missing it. There is the Half Dome hike which is the one to "conquer". About 16 miles round trip, you start around 4-5 am and do it all in one day. The last several hundred yards are with cables on the sides of the granite that you pull yourself up with to the top. We didn't tackle that (I was having back disc problems...) but I hear it's quite the feeling to accomplish that.

There are several wonderful hikes in Yosemite - Sentinel Dome was just the one that left the greatest impression on us. And, yes, the spring or early summer is best. We went the first week of June and the waterfalls were at full thrust - stunning!! The high sierras still had a lot of snow so we couldn't explore that portion of Yosemite - will next time though! Are thinking about doing a high Sierra backpacking trip next time.

Sorry to gush - PM if you have any more Yosemite questions as I don't want to hijack this thread :p

My kids really want to go to Yosemite--they're all about wildlife. I'm hoping for next summer.

Last year, on Good Friday, we took our boys on a hike in a local park that has beautiful, nice, long nature trails that we love. It was really spiritual to be spending that time with each other and God. We decided we'd make it a tradition to have a nice long hike on Good Friday every year. :) We hike with our kids several times a year, but that Good Friday hike just really was special to me. :)

What a beautiful tradition! Nature really does feed our spirits. That is what I love about camping and hiking.

When I was a kid we used to go to Silver Lake in CA and hike up to a very small lake called Deer Lake. It was so deep you could dive 20 + feet and be secure in the knowledge that the lake was over 30 feet deep. It was sooo cold!

What a wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.