what a terrible night

kariev

Cathlete
forgive me but i just need share my long night with you all. my husband got a severe case of food poisoning at 7p.m. last night. It was about 1 hour after we had dinner. He had chicken parm with stuffed shells. While eating it he said it tasted different but not bad so he continued. I can honestly say I have NEVER seen someone so sick. The force behind the puking was intense. Finally by 11pm he was still throwing up severely and I said enough, get in the damn car so we can go to the ER. He literally thought he was going to die. I felt so helpless as i couldn't help him at all:( They put him on an IV. He's urine was as brown as tree bark from being so dehydrated. Thank god i got him to the hospital. They also did a catscan of his abdomin to make sure it was not his appendix. He had to chug 2 huge cups of this thick liquid to coat his stomach. Right when he entered the room it came back out and that was the finale episode. We were there until 4a.m. He's sound asleep now but i can't sleep as i keep replaying it in my mind over and over again. I'm not really even sure why i'm posting this but i can say that i sure hope to NEVER experience that in my lifetime. Have any of you guys been through this?

Whoa! I am so sorry! You must have been terrified!! You were very smart to get him to the hospital! I'm glad he's doing okay and I hope you can get some rest soon too.

I'm soo sorry to hear that Kari! Sooo smart of you to take him to the hospital. Men can be very stubborn that way so I'm glad he allowed it. My son had Rotovirus when he was just 2 and a half. It was absolutely nightmarish. We had just moved to CO and he had it coming out both ends constantly. His diapers would just get saturated and he couldn't hold his little head up or keep even a dropper of water down- like your husband, it just came right back up. We took him to the doctor and she sent us to the ER where they hooked him up on an IV. Absolutely heartbreaking to have to hold your little child down and hear him scream his head off when the needle went in. the IV seemed to perk him up enough to take him home after several hours.

You and your husband will be in my prayers. You try to get yourself some rest. Maybe put on a chick-flic to take your mind off of it.

Hugs to you!
Pam

Food poisoning is the worst. Can be very scary. Smart of you to take him to ER especially since he ended up being so dehydrated. Glad he is feeling better. I had it once. Never experienced anything like it before and hope to never experience it again. The vomiting was so intense at one point I actually passed out and woke up on the bathroom floor. Mine was from chicken. I did the same thing, thought it tasted different but ate it any ways. Never again, I hope.

Pam, how terrifying for you to go through that with a little one.

Jean

I'm so sorry that happened to your DH and it must have been awful for you to see him suffering like that and not be able to help him. I've never had food poisoning, but I am emetophobic (phobia of vomiting) and I am really careful about food safety and I don't like eating out because I worry about if the food is safe or not.

I'm glad you got him to the hospital and that he's doing better. That is really scary - I would be replaying it in my mind, too.

Erica

thanks so much for all the get well wishes. still haven't gotten to sleep and i feel like a zombie. hubby has been sleeping now for almost 12 hrs. hes still getting some mild waves of naseousness but is feeling much better. seems each time i start to doze off the dog barks, the phone rings, or he wakes up wanted some gatorade. one things for sure, i should sleep sound tonight. i wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

Wow. I'm glad that you were able to get your DH to the ER soon enough so that they could treat him effectively. I've eaten a bad bird before, and although I didn't crash like your husband did, I can say it was no fun, and I've never been able to go back to the big-box restaurant where I ate it ever again. Hope he mends soon - and you too!

A-Jock

Poor guy! I had serious food poisoning once and I will never forget it. So glad he's okay. Try and get some rest - he may need to lean on you for a while.

I have experienced it a couple of times. Didn't think I could go to the hospital. Thought they didn't take you from food sickness, so stayed home. Eventually I stopped regurgitating. Then started on the dry heaves. Yeah, not fun. But my food never gave a hint that something was wrong with it.

It's a terrible thing and it does seem like you will die. Glad your DH is feeling better and that he went to the hospital for it.

Get some rest.

Janie

Last edited:
forgive me but i just need share my long night with you all. my husband got a severe case of food poisoning at 7p.m. last night. It was about 1 hour after we had dinner. He had chicken parm with stuffed shells. While eating it he said it tasted different but not bad so he continued. I can honestly say I have NEVER seen someone so sick. The force behind the puking was intense. Finally by 11pm he was still throwing up severely and I said enough, get in the damn car so we can go to the ER. He literally thought he was going to die. I felt so helpless as i couldn't help him at all:( They put him on an IV. He's urine was as brown as tree bark from being so dehydrated. Thank god i got him to the hospital. They also did a catscan of his abdomin to make sure it was not his appendix. He had to chug 2 huge cups of this thick liquid to coat his stomach. Right when he entered the room it came back out and that was the finale episode. We were there until 4a.m. He's sound asleep now but i can't sleep as i keep replaying it in my mind over and over again. I'm not really even sure why i'm posting this but i can say that i sure hope to NEVER experience that in my lifetime. Have any of you guys been through this?

My mom had something similar but it was fish. I sure hope your DH gets better soon. When I was living in FL and working custodial in a theme park (guess which one) I caught an Avian flu virus and it nearly killed me, I was puking like a 3 year old every twenty minutes for 12 hours, my roomate took a day off from work to take me to a clinic, they doped me up but good. She saved my life.

I don't know what is worse, experiencing that yourself or watching someone you love go through it. I hope you both get plenty of sleep today. I'm sure his abdominal muscles are going to be sore for a few days!

Kari, that's awful! I'm so sorry! I have never experienced food poisoning, but after hearing of your DH's experience, I hope to never have that happen! I'll use your experience as my guidepost - if it doesn't taste right, I won't eat it!

I'm glad you took action and got him some medical attention and he's doing better! Get some rest yourself now!

thanks for all the best wishes:) i'm happy to report he is doing much better today. He literally slept for 24hrs straight after we got home from the hospital. I couldn't nap at all yesterday because every time he made i noise i was expecting him to run into the bathroom and start throwing up again. I can't believe how affected i was by this. Last night i went to bed around 8:30 and slept solid until 7 this morning. I haven't slept like that in years! We were both very tired today so we both slept on and off. He's finally eating again. I'm so happy this weekend is over. Thanks again.

Glad he is feeling better! The body is amazingly efficient at eliminating everything when you've eaten something bad like that. It's not a pleasant experience though. I didn't go to the hospital (I'm really stubborn about that), but me and my family had a run in with food poisoning a few months ago at a local restaurant. I was just like your DH. Once I started throwing up, I couldn't stop and I couldn't even keep an ice chip down. It took about 2 days and then I was finally able to eat again. I wouldn't wish food poisoning on my worst enemy!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.