Weird bodily happenings....

HollyCat

Cathlete
Hi everyone, I have been experiencing some strange symptoms lately, unlike anything I've ever experienced before, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced these things. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I'm pregnant, though it's way too early to tell (AF not due for another week). I have an appointment with my OB/GYN in April but I'm feeling really impatient to know what's going on.

Anyway, last Friday I started feeling little twinges (not quite cramps, more mild) in my lower abdomen, and the next day I had some slight spotting (brownish). I have never had spotting before. I can easily sleep 10+ hours a day if I don't force myself to get up, where my previous night's sleep would average 6-7 hours. Plus, I can hardly muster the energy to work out, and this comes from one of those lunatics who actually does MIC the whole way through. My boobs are swollen and tender. I would blame this on AF, but she's not due for another week.

If this means I may be pregnant, then I'm afraid to move, let alone try to work out again! I just got married in February, and just started my first non-birth-control-elicited period on March 10 (I guess I have a very short cycle - 23 days). DH and I decided to "let nature take its course" as far as having children; I thought it would take at least a few months for me to become fertile because I had been on depo-provera for over 5 years before switching to the Pill, and I have read that it may take up to a year for women on depo to ovulate after their last injection.

Do any of these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Of course I'm going to run all this by my doctor (after taking a home pregnancy test if I really do miss my period), but I can't remember ever feeling this weird physically. I don't feel really bad, just different.

If you were me, would you continue to work out lightly? Has anyone found that light workouts improve early pregnancy fatigue (if this is indeed what's going on)?

I'm so eager for this next week to pass to see if this is all in my head or if there's something to it!

Thanks for your feedback.

Take care,
Holly

Hmmm. It seems to me that it really is too early to tell. The symptoms you describe definitely could be due to early pregnancy. But it could just as well be that your body is adapting to being off birth control for the first time in so long. If your cycle were the more usual 28-30 day length, then I'd say it was unlikely you were pregnant (since typically you'd ovulate on day 14 after your last period, which would have just been two days ago), but given your short cycle, I guess it's possible. And I do know some women who claim that they knew the moment they conceived.

Either way, I hope things work out as you want them to!

I spotted with both of my kids the week I was supposed to get my period. With my first child I had a doctor's appt scheduled anyway so I had them do a pregnancy test. With my second one when I started spotting, I was pretty sure I was pregnant and I was.

Some women spot either when the egg implants into the uterine wall or when they should be getting their period and I believe it's because their pregnancy hormones aren't as strong yet.

HTH,
Rockette

Sometimes, when people think they might be pregnant, the symptoms seem more pronounced and obvious than they otherwise would. If you are pregnant, there is no harm in continuing to work out, if the energy is there. If it's not, listen to your body. Nothing will happen if you take a week or two off. And if you ARE pregnant, there is a very good reason why you'd be so fatigued, so pay attention to that sign, and don't be afraid to tone down your exercise, to accomodate the work your body needs to do. In the meantime, there are tests out there, which you vcan use 4 days before your missed period, so you don't have to wait too much longer to find out. But I'm sure each passing day feels like an eternity when you want to know.

Hi :)

Ditto on what Eclair said about working out. There is no reason to stop exercising... BUT whether you really are pregnant this time or not, since you are off of BC, then you definitely want to make sure that you are drinking plenty of water before, during, and after your exercise regime to make sure that you keep your core body temperature down... also, don't go anaerobic (breathless)... since often, women are already several weeks before they find out for sure, and the most important brain and neural tube development happens in the first few weeks after conception. (By the same token, stay out of the hot tub and sauna). Otherwise, at this point, you can run, aerboicize, and do resistance exercise to your heart's content :)
Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm still fatigued and am going to wait until April 1 to do a home pregnancy test, and until then it's no more intervals for me! Fortunately, I haven't been doing anaerobic exercise for a few weeks, and I don't think I'd have the energy to even if I tried! Plus, I've been super thirsty, so fluid intake shouldn't be a problem.

Well, now that I'm wondering if I really am pregnant, I've kind of gotten my hopes up. I guess whatever was meant to be will happen.

Thanks again!

Holly

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.