weightlifting and age. cyndie :) ?

cinza

I am 49 in actual years but score in my 20's in measures of strengh, flexiblity and endurance etc......

I have excellent genetics for aging and strength.

I have kept in shape with dancing, pilates and walking, light weights....I can outdo most men at the gym on leg work, easy..

Anyhow
i am reading Ajna Langer's Body Flex- Magic which because I think building a "serious' body would be fun and something I have the musculature, intention and intensity to do...
I confess
(but only in front of this forum )
I imagine myself being able to build a fitness model body with the right guidance.

BUT
I just read a line telling women over 50 NOT to do heavy weights.
(the word "heavy" was not defined)
I would JUMP to say that line isnt for me since i am in good shape..

But ???... on second thought,
maybe there are good reasons to pay attention.....
Are there internal things i should be worrying about? bones, cartiledge and such? I know we have body parts with a limited life expentancy and that sometimes you can wear them out while you think you are strengthening them...

I prudently looked at a workout book written for working out over age 50 ....
I immediately closed it, as everyone one in the book looked older and frailer and I refused to believe I have anything in common with them...
but maybe i do?
(Is it obvious yet I am totally rebelling about turning 50?! )

Anyhow..
anyone who knows about weight training for someone my age who is currently strong, fit and ambitious, please feel free to advise me.
Joyce Vedral doesnt look like she is hurting...

Thank you
cinza

Nor does Charlene Prickett,

who is well into her 50's. I just turned 50--don't scare me like that. I refuse to get "old". lol

[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

RE: Nor does Charlene Prickett,

Margaret Richard is over 50 & looks pretty good to me! I agree with you guys - refuse to get old as long as you can! Seriously, I think if you are doing something your body can't handle, it will let you know. Cinza, you go girl!:) :)

You should direct this email to Mary Jean on ESPN Bodyshaping. I think she's close to sixty. She doesn't seem to lift lighter weights than the younger participants. I think cartilage and tendons become somewhat more brittle as we age so we may become more prone to injury. Our bodies don't recover as quickly so you may find over time that every now and then you need an extra day of recovery. One thing I do know is that our shoulders become more prone to impingement syndrome as the capsule within the joint becomes smaller. Impingement is aggravated during overhead motion, front raises, and upright rows to name a few. Watch these motions especially raising arms overhead. A good cure or prevention is to hold a 3 pound dumbbell in each hand. Hold it at one end, not with the handle and make small circles--15 to 20 circles in each direction. This helps to open up the shoulder cavity. Do not go heavier on the weight. This is not an exercise where you increase poundage over time. Stay at 3 pounds.

I am surprised at your age. Your attitude is so much younger. I thought you were around 30. I am sure you are off the charts of most people your age. Just listen to your body. If it takes you longer than 48 hours to recover from a workout or little aches and pains start creeping into your body you are probable doing too much. Otherwise more power to you!

Best wishes, Cyndie

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-12-01 AT 02:52AM (Est)[/font][p]
thank you Cyndie ...(again!!) I appreciate your carefully laid out answers.

now for those small circles ... where are the arms held?

BTW..
i am surprised at my age too!!

Check the photo on my bio...or on the homepage listed in my bio ...
you will see I am not your everyday 49, {gonna be 50 next month}, year old and a grandmother to boot ... {oh my gosh }!!

Thats a
Before getting in shape photo...

Just ya'all wait to see the AFTER photos!!

Weight training is turning the clock back big time.

I definately am aiming to redefine the notion of what 50 means!

:)
ps.
my name is cynthia.. you too?
cinza is our name in italian... but they really spell it Cinzia..... I lived in Rome when i was a kid. ...

We have a lot of role models out there who are older, like Joyce Vedral and the older chick from BodyShaping! They are awesome! Mary Jean was 50 in 1993 or 1994, so that puts her at, what? 56 or 57 now, at LEAST!

They are great examples, and we don't need to even think of stopping at any age.

The arms are held straight down at your side. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yes my name is Cynthia also. I wondered about your user name because it was different. It's pretty though.

Take care. Cyndie

thank you muchly ... it feels good to do...
i have a chronicly painful repetetive stress injury of 15 years duration in my right shoulder .. maybe this will be a good thing to open up the area around the nerve.

cinza

Hi, Cyndie - just wanted to also thank you for the info. I too have a bad shoulder which I keep under control very carefully! It helps me to do extra stretching in that area. Meanwhile, I will certainly be trying the exercise you described. Take care - Ruth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.