WANTED: Lap Dog

Stacy--
I have 6 dogs. I have two different breeds--Basenjis, which have short hair, minimal shedding...and they do not bark. They are known as the barkless breed. They are not mute, but they do NOT bark. I've had this breed (and I have 4 of them) for 15 years. They like to be on laps, in your bed, on your couch...you get the picture. My other breed is Chinese Crested. I have two of the hairless variety. NO SHEDDING!
These dogs are VERY loving, moreso than the Basenjis, in my opinion.
I can go on and on about these dogs...
To keep this short, I can tell you that my "crew" all get along with each other...Basenjis and Cresteds seem to be a good match. As far as size goes--Basenjis range from 18-24 pounds, and Cresteds, which are considered a toy breed can range from 6-18 pounds. Odd range, but the breed has so many different lines in it. My one Crested is 15 pounds and my little one is about 10lbs. If you want more info, you can e-mail me.
Good Luck in your search!
Lisa;)

I have a bichon frise, and he is small, very friendly, loves to be right on top of you at all times, and is great with humans of all sizes and ages and other animals!!

While Pugs are great dogs with fantastic personalities, they are shedders. I am a groomer in a high volume groom shop and we get a lot of pugs.

I third the suggestion of going to the local animal shelter. If you feel you must get a purebred, they can even help you there sometimes. But check them out first. You might find a dog just the right size and temperament for you, and s/he'll love you all the more for adopting her/him.

Which of these Dogs do not bark a lot

We are looking for a nice little lap dog that is kid friendly and gets along with cats and dogs. We just don't like little dogs that bark a lot they drive us crazy.

RE: Which of these Dogs do not bark a lot

schnozers are great dogs no shedding very personable My sister ahs one and he is something I prefer big dogs but like him lots Also lots of my family members have Shitzus too and they are nice
Lisa

my suggestion

Stacy
Two words: Golden Retriever! Yes, I know, a golden is a big dog who sheds, but they are the most loving creatures. I have three of them--that's a LOT of dawg, let me tell you. All three are lap dogs, including my 90 pound love (Agnes). My "baby," Maeve, is a velcro dog because she follows me all around, even into the bathroom! They are gentle with kids and eager to please.

If you decide that you want a big dog for the "hug" factor, consider a rescue Golden. Or if you're set on a little dog, check your shelter :) I love those Scottish Terriers, even though I am a Big Dog Gal at heart! If I had to downsize, I'd get a scottie (I love "Barney" Bush---have you ever seen the "Barney cam?" Barney strolls around the White House with a camera tailing him.

the only dogs i can think of that don't really shed are poodles. but i don't know if they have the other qualities on your list. i know they bond very well with the owner, but they aren't really the type to be openly friendly with other dogs and with strangers (there are always exceptions to the rule of course - so much has to do with how you raise the dog).

i do a lot of dog rescue volunteer work - and i think that (with the exception of shedding) your wants are not really breed specific. a mutt might be just the thing. for example, you could find a lab mix, who has the traits of a lab (cuddly, friendly with other dogs and other people) but perhaps is mixed with something smaller so the size won't be an issue.

i suggest you look for local shelters and rescue groups in your area and tell them what you are looking for. a reputable group will be able to match the right dog(s) with the right family. and sometimes, you may have a set image in your head - but another dog will steal your heart when you meet him.

this is how i ended up with a lab/dane mix, a border collie and a rottweiler. :) and let me tell you, the rottweiler is the cuddliest, most affectionate lap dog you could imagine. it's just that my lap is not quite big enough.

Hi Stacy,

You've gotten a lot of good info here. If you do need to get breed specific in your search, I'd also recommend the Boston Terrier. They are very people oriented, and dog friendly if properly socialized with other dogs.

I've had two Bostons (currently have one). Both loved kids and enjoyed being around people in general. They're definitely companion animals. They're small (under 25#), have short hair, and mine shed very little.

Good luck with your search!!

Our little lap dog

We got a little lap dog three months ago and i can't even begin to tell you how wonderful he is. He is a cavalier king charles spaniel.
Yes, they are a little pricey, but let me tell you how much we get in return. He loves everyone and every animal he comes in contact with. He sleeps with me sits on my lap while i'm on the computer. He loves to take walks, or doesn't mind if he doesn't. He is amazingly loving.
He housebroke so quickly. I've had quite a few pets in my lifetime, and currently have two cats as well. I love this little guy so much, i'm going to wait until spring and get another.
You can check them out at the AKC site http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/ckcs.cfm

When i take him for walks, people stop constantly to pet him and ask me what kind of dog he is. He is absolutely wonderful!
Good luck in your search!

Stacy:

We are looking for a small dog with the same characteristics. My husband has allergies and I wanted to get a small dog for 7-year old. There is a new breed called The Shichon. I got the information from a site below. You MUST take a look at these puppies. They are adorable and fit the description you are looking for too...

http://www.shichon.com/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.