Versa Gripps????

letswork

Cathlete
Like everyone, I am busy anticipating STS and looking forward to cranking up the intensity with my weight training. However, one of my main problems with lifting heavy for my back is that my forearms and hands seem to give up waaaaaay before my back does.

Does anyone use these Versa Gripps or have any other advice on how to handle this?

VersaGripps are the best from what I've read. I know SheWolf has a pair and loves them. I'm waiting to get the funds to get me a pair.

I have the stupid hook type and they hurt my hands and don't hold onto the bar very well. Don't waste your money on those kind.

Let me be totally honest here & say I HATE the idea of any strength training for the hands and forearms! You run the risk of getting the dreaded Seinfeld "man hands".........also, if you think about it, your hands/forearms are secondary body parts worked during almost any UB routine & will gain strength naturally as you increase weight w/the rest of your UB routine.

JMO......I have rather unattractive hands so I've avoided stuff like this. I get a little cramping in my hands w/my shoulder work & I use lifting straps for certain exercises, but otherwise my hands are plenty strong for my exercise routine.

Why don't you just get a good pair of lifting straps instead? Mine are actually structured & have hooks, I got them from bigfitness.com. I use them for my back routine & for traps.

Laura, VersaGripps are lifting straps. And you do need them when lifting heavy, i.e. barbell rows, deads and such exercises like that. I couldn't do them if I didn't have my hooks, my grip just isn't strong enough to lift the amount of weights I lift. Even though I hate my hooks, they at least help my grip. They have nothing to do with building forearm or wrist muscles.

Oh, OK, I thought they were like those v-shaped springed things or hooked spiderwebs for hand strength. I understand they're needed for heavy lifting--I'm a heavy lifter & I couldn't do it without my hooks.

So why do you need the actual "Versa Gripps?" Is there something about them that makes them different from traditional lifting straps? Why do you hate your hooks? I love my hooks........

OMG! I just googled them & they're $45! I'll stick w/my hooks for sure! :eek:

Laura, VersaGrips are just easier to use and better for your wrists. My hooks are horrible. They don't hold my bar well and I find I'm fighting just to keep the bar inside the hooks. I hate them. I know a few people who swear by VersaGripps. Their prices must have went up. Last time I checked they were $35. Damn, I knew I should have ordered them a few months ago.

If you like your hooks, then by all means, keep them. I just hate the ones I have.

Hmmm I'm very surprised to hear you say that--I like the hooks much better than the straps, I find them to be much more secure on bars, especially with heavy weights and/or bars that have are coated. I HATED straps, I found them extremely uncomfortable & not very stable (in fact, dangerous in some situations) for really heavy lifting.

How are the Versas better for your wrists? The concept is essentially the same.

A question:

Why do you use these? I am starting to lift really heavy (65# bench press, 75# barbell row) is this something I should look into? I would like to steadily increase the weight I lift....

Also, I found them for $34.00 on the website if you buy the classic ones.

What are the hooks? and what are the difference?

TIA:)
Deanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.