Vegan Yum-Yum Cookbook

workoutaholic

Cathlete
Oh my gosh, I have finally found a good vegan cookbook! I just got Vegan Yum-Yum, and I love it! I have bought 3 so far (Vegan Express and two Friends of Animals cookbooks) and I just really didn't like much in them.

I guess I (and my husband, an adamant meat-eater : ) am just used to more comfort-food kind of stuff for dinner, and even HE likes this stuff. I am excited, just wanted to share.

I love this book too. :) My husband is also a dedicated carnivore, and he looks through the pages, points, and says, "Hey, can you make this one?"

I mess with a lot of the recipes though. I do that with every book I own, not just this one. So don't be afraid to adjust ingredients or substitute things.

The only recipe I didn't mess with was the doughnut one. I recommend buying a mini-doughnut pan for that ~ it's worth it. Make the doughnuts the day before you'd like to have them, as they taste better the next day and have a better texture. For the glaze, use Alton's recipe, and if you'd like to veganize it, you can substitute vegan ingredients for the non-vegan ones.

Thanks. I made the cannellini bean soup with pan-fried croutons & kale tonight. It was great. And hubs went back for more, and that's saying a lot. He barely even finishes half his plate with most of the vegan stuff I make, and I can tell even though he doesn't say anything that he doesn't like it. He's liked everything so far from this book.

I wish I knew how to tweak stuff. I guess it's just something you have to experiment with and learn, but no one ever taught me to cook so I'm afraid I will mess it up.

Thank you so much for your post. I have Vegan YumYum and the 2 Friends of Animals cookbooks on my wishlist at amazon but haven't hit the order button yet. Why don't you like the--I think her name is Feral--cookbook? It got such rave reviews. What didn't you like about it? This way I can go and order at least the YumYum one but the others tempt me as well.

Thank you so much for your post. I have Vegan YumYum and the 2 Friends of Animals cookbooks on my wishlist at amazon but haven't hit the order button yet. Why don't you like the--I think her name is Feral--cookbook? It got such rave reviews. What didn't you like about it? This way I can go and order at least the YumYum one but the others tempt me as well.

I know, I was really excited about Feral's cookbooks b/c the reviews on Amazon were so good. I have Dining with Friends and the Best of Vegan cooking. I bought these cookbooks online without being able to see them, which is my fault, and I got them because I needed recipes for dinner. Dining with Friends doesn't have a lot other than pasta and soup to pick from for a main entree. My husband is not a huge fan of soup for dinner, although he'll eat it if it's a really good one. I tried the cream of brooccoli soup, the vegetarian chili, cashew cream lasagna, and 2 other pasta dishes, and all of them were just bland to us. If I knew how to tweak dishes without overseasoning them, that would probably help. And I haven't given up on it yet. I am sure there are good recipes in it. We do love the pasta all'arrabbiata with olives (without the red pepper flakes and capers). That one is a favorite I make now every week (I eat it with spaghetti squash and it's still great). The desserts looks awesome, too, but I haven't made any.

From The Best of Vegan Cooking, I tried the broccoli rice salad with almonds and sesame-ginger dressing, manhattan vegetable chowder, aunt trish's pasta e fagioli, and a few more, and they were ok, but none of them were recipes I'd look forward to eating again. I do like this book better than the other one. There's a whole section on risotto, and those are good (the zucchini risotto is my favorite).

Sorry so long, but hope that helps!

The Conscious Cook looks good. I like this line: By applying traditional French culinary techniques to meatless cuisine, he found that he could gratify his cravings for rich flavor and fat.

At least for dinner, I think that is what I have been missing with some of these other books, rich flavor. I am ok with eating a smaller portion of higher fat meal for dinner, surrounded by vegetables. I'd rather that than feeling unsatisfied with my whole plate most of the time. : )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.