Vegan Recipe/food ideas plz!!

seakix

hello all,

i'm looking for some help in the way of food ideas for vegans. i myself am not one (sorry), but I teach a cardio k/b class and some of my students are vegans (newly starting). they are looking for recipe and snack ideas. this is an area i haven't really looked into before and am not sure where to guide them. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I hate to leave a student hanging!!!

thank you!

CC

Hi there;

Here are a couple of terrific websites to check out:

www.veganyumyum.com
http://theppk.com/

Both have lots of recipes and ideas. There are TONS of vegan resources on the web. Also, there are some great new cookbooks that have come out recently, including my favorites, "The Veganomicon" and "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World". You can find them both on Amazon.

Your students are in for a good time - there are so many options to explore! Being vegan keeps getting easier and easier! Another resource they might be interested in is the Vegan Freak website (www.veganfreak.net), which requires you to join (but they're good people), and which has forums to help you find local vegan potlucks, restaurants, clothes, shoes, etc. And they have helpful news and links.

Dee

<i myself am not one (sorry)>
I see no reason to apologize. I think it's nice of you to try to be accommodating to your students, no matter what dietary "restrictions" they have.

> Also, there are some great new
>cookbooks that have come out recently, including my favorites,
>"The Veganomicon" and "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World".
>You can find them both on Amazon.

I had a horrid disaster with a recipe from "Vegan Cupcakes"(and the only substitution I made was orange juice and zest instead of lime), so I never trusted that book after that!

Some other sites:
www.vegsource.com (lots of recipes).
www.drfuhrman.com (you have to become a member to have access to all the features, but the recipes are based on his health-promoting, plant-based diet).

I second Dee's idea. Her Vegeanimocon book has a lot of recipes that I enjoy. That and Vegan with a Vengance are my favirote vegan cookbooks. I like it that they go beyond the standard bean salad recipe. lol

Thanks for all your comments! i already passed some of the websites on to my students. My goal is to not only work out their bodies but they diets too. I am not a person who believes in dieting for a period and then "going back to normal" once you've hit the "ideal weight". I like to encourage my students to do something that they can continue for a lifetime. I really appreciate all the ideas and suggestions because it helps me to accomplish my goal...and also give me some new recipes!!!

thks again!

Kathryn;

I have had a few terrible cupcake disasters, too. Once I tried to make vegan cupcakes (so the vegans can eat them) that were also gluten-free (so my celiac's-disease-afflicted friend could eat them, too) and they had NO structural integrity. If you picked them up, they crumbled to pieces. The little crumbly bits were delicious, though...

Dee

>> Also, there are some great new
>>cookbooks that have come out recently, including my
>favorites,
>>"The Veganomicon" and "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World".
>>You can find them both on Amazon.
>
>I had a horrid disaster with a recipe from "Vegan
>Cupcakes"(and the only substitution I made was orange juice
>and zest instead of lime), so I never trusted that book after
>that!
>
>
>Some other sites:
>www.vegsource.com (lots of recipes).
>www.drfuhrman.com (you have to become a member to have access
>to all the features, but the recipes are based on his
>health-promoting, plant-based diet).

I haven't tried the cupcake books but the other books by the same author are FABULOUS! I believe they are the best vegan cookbooks out there.

Carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.