Varicose Veins

cinnttu92

Cathlete
Anyone out here had any treatment for them? If so, what did you have done and what was the results like? I'm going to have laser done on October 6. It was interesting when I was standing there and he was doing an ultrasound up and down my legs that the doctor said "you're a runner aren't you?"

Nice compliment cinnamon. :)

I had a terrible varicose vein and many other little veins that railroaded out from the main vein, removed surgically. It's called the saphenous vein. One incision was made at the groin, and one at the ankle and the took the entire thing out.

It was the best thing I ever did. I had 4 things against me--heredity, extra pounds, pregnancies, and working on my feet all day as a nurse. I "let it go" longer than I should of. I am happy with the results though--I have a few little stab scars from the scalpel, but that's it.

Laser is the way to go. Good for you. I didn't look into laser. Mine was so atrocious, I don't even know if I would be a candidate. You will be so happy with your legs!

Lori

I had a combination of laser and surgery July 1 (my deep veins were too badly varicosed for the laser) - I'm very pleased with the result. My recovery was rough - doc said it was the most extensive surgery of this type he's ever done - my legs were completely black and blue from groin to ankle, extremely painful, and wearing compression stockings for 2 weeks in July in Houston almost drove me crazy - but it's so worth it now. My legs are completely pain-free for the first time in my adult life. I'm sorry I waited so long to screw up the courage to have it done.

Melrose,
I also live in Houston. Who was your doc? Dr. Michael Bardwil is doing mine. The only thing that I do not like is I can not run or use weights for at least 2 weeks. I also tried my compression hose last night just to get a feel for them. Not looking forward to wearing them because it is so darn hot here still. Maybe by October 6th that it will cool down a little.

Don't know if this is an inappropriate question, but how much are these various procedures? Does insurance cover any of it? This is probably in my future, based on heredity...

I had laser work with my daughter in her office. It was with a YAG laser I dont know all of the terminology but I gather these are lower intensity. It went well I felt like I was seeing results till I had a car accident that injured my knee. I think I need to go back for another treatment. I think mine were spider veins though. It takes some time to see the results after the treatment.
Diane Sue

http://wd.1ww.us

I'm interested in people's experiences too. I have terrible varicose veins and had a few surgically removed several years ago. The problem is that the veins came back. Then I went in and had them saltwater injected, but they came back again.. in the same place. I don't know how a removed vein would re-appear in the same place but it has. Very discouraging. I need to deal with it again now. Laser sounds so much nicer that the invasive treatments I had. I'm interested in costs and insurance coverage too. I realize insurance is unique to the plan you have and costs are sort of regional, but I'd still like to hear anything about it. I heard that insurance companies were not so willing to reimburse for these treatments anymore, calling them cosmetic.

My doctor in Houston is Alan Lumsden. I liked him. He's with Baylor College of Medicine. My procedure was day surgery - I was under general anesthesia because I had such bad veins, but I went home mid-afternoon after the anesthesia wore off. The pain was quite bearable as long as I took the strong pain medication he prescribed, but I couldn't take it at work, of course, so I had a rough 2 weeks. I only missed one day of work - had the procedure on Friday, July 1, had a 3-day holiday weekend, and was back at work Tuesday, but in pain and pretty miserable. I toughed it out and didn't miss any work. As to costs, I don't know - my insurance covered all of it - I had to have an ultrasound beforehand - the technician was speaking into a microphone the whole time, and she said over and over again, ''venous insufficiency noted,'' so I figured I would be covered.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.