Upper body bulk

jcolwell

How do I get good definition in my arms without adding bulk? I have cut back to weight training my upper body only once a week, and my arms, shoulders and back are nicely toned, but bulky. I would ideally like to have my upper arms slightly thinner, so the muscle definition shows more, but I don't know how to achieve that. I follow Cathe's suggestions for poundage on her tapes - any suggestions?

I found that increasing my cardio days have done good things for my upperbody and my keg (which is definitely a KEG). I'm not a cardio bunny so getting in 4 cardios is an all out struggle for me. But I am definitely the kind that should do it.

I would like to know the scoop on this question? In Cathe's tapes everyone has that nice horizontal line across their arms. I have the long vertical line and the horshoe tricep thing going on along with some mass. I am a petite person so this is a bit of a puzzle for me, so for all you trainers that are reading this, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

I think you need to train more frequently with lighter weights. Go for endurance workouts. Once a week is probably only building muscle, i.e., Cathe recommends using her Slow and Heavy series just 1x per week for each muscle group. Don't be afraid to pick up those weights 2-3x per week per muscle group! Myself, I would welcome a little muscle "bulK," I have nice definition, and I've definitely gotten stronger, but my ecto arms still look like twigs!:p

I always find this topic interesting b/c I tend to bulk very easily. I bulked on the Tank top rotation big time and even during the July rotation I noticed bulking happening. We are all different, and I think my muscles keep the "swell" when they don't get enough rest. Doing one moderate-to heavy a week and one circuit was working for me as well as kickboxing...but I wanted to experiment again and it just made me even more certain.

What you said about keeping the swell is interesting. When I used to do the FIRM every day I bulked. Maybe that was my problem!

I'm curious about this too. I did the June rotation and really felt like I bulked. I then got a picture back of me in a tanktop and was shocked! I hated how big my arms looked. I need to trim down the muscle, but still keep the definition. I build muslce so easy in my arms. Right now I am doing the slim series to see if that helps. I would like to know if I should stick with lighter weights and higher reps.

I would love to get some help with this issue. I've posted quite a few times about it. I'm just plain ol thick in my upper body and ecto as all get out in the lower.

HELP :eek: ;-) Edith

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.