Update on my amenorrhea

dormars1979

Cathlete
I had posted many months ago regarding my problems with amenorrhea. I received a bunch of good advice and thoughts, for which I was very thankful. I just wanted to give an update on this situation.

My period went away in 11/05. I had been on the BCP a couple of times, and it returned during those periods, but I hated the way the BCP made me feel and I felt it was just a mask for the underlying issue. I never felt that I worked out too hard, or didn't eat enough, even though some people had suggested that my exercise habits might be to blame. I always believed that my workouts are advanced but tempered with enough rest and nutrition to avoid overtraining, so I was looking for other explanations.

About 6 months ago, I decided to get copies of all my previous lab work from my PCP, and I noticed that my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) appeared a little high (3.2) and my thyroid antibody level was like 4x what it should be. I brought this to the attn of my PCP and she said that a TSH level of up to 5 is considered normal and that the antibody is just a sign that you may have thyroid problems in the future, not that anything is wrong now. I was unsatisfied with this answer, after reading online from the Association of Endocrinology (http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/labs2003.htm)
that a TSH over 3 is considered high nowadays whereas in the past 5 was the limit.

I found a new endocrinologist (I'd already seen one when this problem first started and he didn't flag the TSH problem either) who totally agreed with me and decided to try me on some thyroid replacement therapy. I was on the initial dose for 2 months with no results, had a follow up blood test, and he upped the dose one more level based upon the results. I am happy to say that today I got my period for the first time (without BCP) in almost 2 years!!

So it turns out that for me, it seems to be this thyroid problem afterall. I haven't changed my weight, eating habits, exercise habits, or anything else. I have noticed that I've been breaking out more than usual lately (like I used to before my period left), and I think it's all related to this thyroid replacement therapy.

I just wanted to follow up with this in case any other women are facing the same issue - get your thyroid checked if you haven't already, and do some research about the acceptable TSH levels because many doctors are still following the "under 5 is OK" rule when that is no longer the case.

Sorry for the long drawn out thing here, but I'm just so happy and wanted to share. I just hope that it comes back again next month...

Doreen

YAY! It's a relief to finally figure out what's wrong, isn't it?? Glad you're feeling better and that your treatment is successful!!!

Best,
Liz

This is an interest post, because I haven't had my period in four months now and don't know if I should be worried.I am on BCP and I feel fine, just no period. Athough I have to say I don't miss it!:p

Linda

Thanks Liz :)

Linda, although it does feel good not to get your period, I would look into it if I were you because it can have long term effects on a woman's body including osteoporosis. Good luck :)

Doreen

Thanks Doreen. I certainly will look into it.I think they are probably start by blaming it on my exercise and weight, just klike they did with you.

But just like you. I don't workout excessively nor is my body fat that low (my six pack does show yet:p )

Linda

Interesting post Doreen. Thanks for the update. I think thyroid issues are difficult to diagnosis and treat effectively. I think most doctors are inadequately trained on the issue also. JMO. Deb

Deb, I completely agree with you. After having this same elevated levels of TSH and thyroid antibody, it took 2 years, seeing at least 5 different doctors, plus my own investigation and pushing to get any treatment. I'm not really upset about all that I went through to get the answer, just happy that I got one, and hopeful that my experience will be able to help someone else suffering w/this problem.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.