Underwear frustration

nancy324

Cathlete
I spent many fruitless hours yesterday in a department store searching for panties that fit me well. Is there something wrong with me?? x(

I have a beautiful new pair of cream-colored silk pants that require flesh-colored panties with no pattern. As it turns out, the stores have plenty of panties that fit the bill. They just don't fit ME.

Every single pair I tried on gave me some kind of bulge, either over the waistband, or under the leg opening! I don't think I have much fat on my body, but whatever small amount I may have goes on display in the panty styles of today. And if you don't believe me, get this: even my DH, who generally thinks I look good in everything, admits that the pair I came home with (out of sheer desperation) gives me an unflattering muffin top!! :eek:

I really don't want to sit all day at work in one of those hot, confining body shapers, but I'm really at wit's end.

Does anyone else have this problem or am I just a really weird shape?

Nancy, I am right there with you, girl! In recent weeks, I have purchased several different "tester" panties; I buy and try, so to speak. Well, they have all been a total failure. Like you, I don't have a lot of excess body fat, yet the cut of most of the panties makes me look like I do. The bulges pop out above and below the panty line, like a cracked tube of poppin' fresh dough x( I have also found that high price does not equal good fit. My most recent panty purchase was Wacoal and they fit as poorly as a 3-pack pair of generic panties. I have a drawer full of reject panties. Not to be sexist, but I think the panty designers must be men.

Sarah ;-)

Thanks for posting, Catherine. I sorry you're frustrated, but it helps to know someone else has the problem.

As an example of what I mean, here's a skinny model who has no fat at all. You see the slight indentation at the waist band? Well, I have some fat on me, so the barely perceptible indentation becomes a muffin top.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/1578952/5951789/263130181.jpg

Why can't panties address the bodies of REAL women and be a little more forgiving ?? x( x(

Sarah, guess what? The picture I just posted above is Wacoal. One of the best and most expensive bra brands. x(

Like you, I also have a drawer full of rejects.

Your description of a cracked tube of poppin' fresh dough made me laugh out loud. :7 :7

Nancy,

I see exactly what you mean and that's the very reason I've completely re-done my underwear drawer:7 Here are my two best suggestions:

1. You should try a kind that has flat, non-binding lace at the waist and/or leg hole. I have some by Maidenform, and some by a few random others, that are not only the most comfortable underwear I own (including any "grannypanties":p ), but it is also the most flattering. My model number is "M40761", which I can't seem to find anymore (If anyone else can PLEASE let me know). But here are a few links to styles that are similar:

http://www.maidenform.com/catalog/p...ategory=Maidenform ® Pants&parentCategoryId=2

http://www.maidenform.com/catalog/p...ategory=Maidenform ® Pants&parentCategoryId=2

Edited to add these additional links:
http://www.barenecessities.com/Maid...Boyshort_product_Maidenform40734_,search,.htm

http://www.barenecessities.com/Maidenform-Microfiber-Boyshort_product_Maidenform40760_,search,.htm

2. And more Maidenform! Seriously, I no longer waste my money on any other "good" panties, except workout ones.

They have a new "light" line of bras and panties that are incredible.
"Fearturing and elastic free edge design" Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

http://www.barenecessities.com/Maid...Low-Rise-Boyshort_product_Maidenform40779.htm

http://www.maidenform.co.uk/pants/40779.html

The way this underwear sits on the model is different than they way it sits on my own hips, I have a little more curve, so it's less of a boyshort and more of a hipster for me.

Oh, and you might consider going up a size in your underwear b/c many are just overzealous with the elastic and this may help the fit.

Good luck!
Mattea

Catherine--You're welcome and I hope it helps. Underwear is so difficult as it's one of those things you can't really try on! Like shopping for a bathing suit---Oh sure, this one looks GREAT with my underwear sticking out and bunching up! LOL!

Mattea:)

I'm so glad I saw this thread!! I almost posted one just like it!

Mattea, Thanks for all the links - this has become my #1 pet peeve this summer. I cannot find any underwear that fit and flatter, especially since the pants/underwear styles seem to have changed. Pants ride lower, so you have to buy low rise panties - which means boycut usually or hipsters, which seem to be very unflattering on me. And the other thing is, these all have a seam that goes right up your behind - which I can't stand. I'll never be wearing a g-string, I can tell you that much!

SO what particular type (bikini, hipster, boycut, etc.) are you all finding the most comfortable and easy to wear with the lower pant styles? I have still got to firm up my abs from when I had my babies 2 1/2 years ago (that twin skin thing is No Joke!!), so I don't want the muffin top effect.

The other thing I've noticed is the patterns on the department store underwear - do they make anything for women, or all they all supposed to be worn by teenagers???

I just wanted to chime in, I have been vexed by this every time I go shopping and try to find some new panties. The reject drawer has more in it than the old faithful drawer!!

Tricia

Nancy,
I have a thong that is almost exactly like that, no idea who makes it, but I do find that with thongs I like to go even larger, no idea why except it just feels more comfortable and seems to fit the best. I strongly suggest that you try out a few of the other styles as well, b/c except for the most THIN/LIGHT pants I have these other styles have replaced thongs for me.

Good luck!
Mattea

Mattea, it looks like a thong, but it's not. It's a bikini and has a full back. :)

Although the lace styles will be fine for most days, unfortunately, I still need a pair with no lace, no pattern, and no VPL for my new silk pants. :(

Thanks for posting, Tricia. It's now my pet peeve too. Not only don't I look good in hipsters, but the waist-highs look pretty dismal on me too.

I just ordered the Barely There bikini in a size large. The fabric is uber-soft and the lace is far less binding than a regular waistband. I'll let you know how they work out.

As for my new pants, I may give up and order the least confining pair of Spanx I can find. Hopefully, something without a leg so I can stay cool.

I
>have a drawer full of reject panties. Not to be sexist, but I
>think the panty designers must be men.
>
I have a drawer full, too!! I have a handful of "favorites" that have become, well, almost threadbare. As soon as I wear then, I know it's time for laundry because most of the other ones are just not comfy. The worst offenders are the horrible "cheekies" that were a mother's day gift. I keep wanting to pull them to cover my butt... they drive me nuts.

The problem buying larger is that eventually they sag in the seat (by "eventually," I mean by noon or so). This is worse than the muffin top look.

I have taken to sneaking underwear into the dressing room and trying them on! (over mine) I know this is a huge no-no, but I am sick and tired of wasting money on stuff that looks like crap. So far the only panties I have liked have been Jockey cotton bikinis (which are too sporty for what Nancy needs) and some Barely There which look similar to the pic posted. I buy the French cut so that they are cut higher on the legs and they seem to run slightly higher in the waist.

I'm so glad I am not the only person having this problem. Honestly, I don't even need to lose any more weight as I'm finally at my goal weight - but this problem persists. So annoying!

> I have a handful of "favorites"
>that have become, well, almost threadbare. As soon as I wear
>them, I know it's time for laundry because most of the other
>ones are just not comfy.

I could have written that myself! I have a little "stash" of favorite panties that are gasping their last breath. They are Barely There brand, but the manufacturer changed the pattern, style and fabric and the new ones are not even remotely the same.
I don't care how yummy the fabric feels, if the fit is not right, the panties are torture.
Nancy, I have several pair of Spanx. Like everything else in "panty world," some of them are great and some live with their friends in the reject drawer. I find that the briefer the Spanx panty, the poorer the fit. They tend to "creep," if you know what I mean :-(

Sarah

Marie, that is my concern in buying a larger size too. I am rather, shall we say, petite in the seat and the droopy drawers look is one of my big problems. :(

ETA: Marie, why can't you try on underwear at the store?? I tried on about 20 pair yesterday at Bloomingdale's. Just wear your briefest string bikini, and pull the strings down so they're basically hanging out the leg holes of the panties you're trying on, to see how they fit.

I know what you mean, Sarah. I think I'll forget about the Spanx. I have to admit I tried them on yesterday, and really didn't care for them. I'm just getting a bit desperate.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.